Author Topic: Who else is worried about Marcus Smart's offense?  (Read 6406 times)

Re: Who else is worried about Marcus Smart's offense?
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2017, 10:08:50 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 599
You're naive if you think Jackson would be redundant. He moves well without the ball and knows how to cut well to the rim like Bradley. Not to mention, he's a very good slasher and can create separation off the dribble. His 3pt% is also improving.

I bet you've pick guys like Stauskas and Jimmer to be future all-stars during the draft.

Right. Nice try, but I hate those types of players. Stauskas is essentially a three point chucker like Jae Crowder.

Then who do you wanted during the draft?

Randle in 2014. Bobby Portis/Hollis jefferson in 2015.
Wanted Kris Dunn in 2016 (first time I could have made a bad choice in recent years) and luckily Jaylen Brown is making me eat crow. Hopefully Smart will too, but I don't expect it.

Randle is not making you eat a crow? Guy is shooting just as bad as Smart from outside and couldn't even guard my grandma. Hollis Jefferson is another bad shooter and have worse handle than Smart.

So tell me how can you like RHJ, but not Josh Jackson who is a much better talent?

Randle is at the moment decent offensively and a capable defender in the future because of his size and speed. He knows how to finish through contact, can pass, is a good rebounder, reminiscent of future Blake Griffin in the post. Sure, atm Smart is clearly better. But Randle's ceiling is much higher.

Portis should definitely make Danny eat crow. RHJ is a better pick than Rozier at #16 regardless.
And RHJ would never be a top 3 pick like Josh Jackson. So your question is kind of stupid. Sorry mate.

Its not stupid. You said Smart+Jackson would be redundant, but Smart+RHJ isn't? I smell double standards.

Potential is useless if the player can't reach it. Smart is a major contributor on a team that is on a 50-win pace. Randle can't even consistently produce on a terrible Lakers team.

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2017, 10:12:22 PM »

Offline WolfofCausewayStreet

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
You're naive if you think Jackson would be redundant. He moves well without the ball and knows how to cut well to the rim like Bradley. Not to mention, he's a very good slasher and can create separation off the dribble. His 3pt% is also improving.

I bet you've pick guys like Stauskas and Jimmer to be future all-stars during the draft.

Right. Nice try, but I hate those types of players. Stauskas is essentially a three point chucker like Jae Crowder.

Wanted Kris Dunn in 2016 (first time I could have made a bad choice in recent years) and luckily Jaylen Brown is making me eat crow. Hopefully Smart will too, but I don't expect it.

Randle is not making you eat a crow? Guy is shooting just as bad as Smart from outside and couldn't even guard my grandma. Hollis Jefferson is another bad shooter and have worse handle than Smart.

So tell me how can you like RHJ, but not Josh Jackson who is a much better talent?

Randle is at the moment decent offensively and a capable defender in the future because of his size and speed. He knows how to finish through contact, can pass, is a good rebounder, reminiscent of future Blake Griffin in the post. Sure, atm Smart is clearly better. But Randle's ceiling is much higher.

Portis should definitely make Danny eat crow. RHJ is a better pick than Rozier at #16 regardless.
And RHJ would never be a top 3 pick like Josh Jackson. So your question is kind of stupid. Sorry mate.

Its not stupid. You said Smart+Jackson would be redundant, but Smart+RHJ isn't? I smell double standards.

You can't compare a future top 3 pick to one in the 15-25 range when evaluating our team's needs. They are completely different circumstances. What don't you understand?

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2017, 10:15:55 PM »

• Payton Pritchard

Potential is useless if the player can't reach it. Smart is a major contributor on a team that is on a 50-win pace. Randle can't even consistently produce on a terrible Lakers team.

But the thing is I wouldn't be surprised if Randle ends up being the next Z-bo while Smart levels out as a Tony Allen. Randle clearly has a much higher ceiling.

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2017, 10:20:17 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

But the thing is I wouldn't be surprised if Randle ends up being the next Z-bo while Smart levels out as a Tony Allen. Randle clearly has a much higher ceiling.

You know who has a higher ceiling than Smart,  Anthony Bennett

you need to wake up from your dream

the reality is Smart is better than Randle until Randle becomes better than Smart...

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2017, 10:23:36 PM »

• Payton Pritchard

the reality is Smart is better than Randle until Randle becomes better than Smart...

You're right. So that means since we had the number three pick we should of drafted Buddy Hield or Jamal Murray instead of Jaylen Brown.

And this draft we should pick Malik Monk with the #1 pick.

« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2017, 10:23:53 PM »

• Payton Pritchard

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2017, 10:27:09 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

You're right. So that means since we had the number three pick we should of drafted Buddy Hield instead of Jaylen Brown.

Why? Brown is the better player at the same age

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2017, 10:53:03 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 599

You can't compare a future top 3 pick to one in the 15-25 range when evaluating our team's needs. They are completely different circumstances. What don't you understand?

What does draft position have to do with it? I don't 100% agree with taking BPA, but Jackson have more superstar potential than RHJ will ever have. You talk like Jackson is just your regular bench rookie. He have the rebounding prowess and passing skills like your mancrush Randle, except he plays harder and actually plays defense.

« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2017, 10:54:37 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I've said it a lot on here. Smart will never be a good shooter from deep. He won't be anything more than ok at best and when he figures that out and stops shooting 4+ three's a game he will start to reach his full potential.  You just don't learn how to shoot after years of being a terrible shooter. It just doesn't happen.

Gary Payton turned himself into a ok shooter. So did Jason Kidd.

I love Smart. I'm more than ok with everything he brings each night.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2017, 11:04:32 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I've said it a lot on here. Smart will never be a good shooter from deep. He won't be anything more than ok at best and when he figures that out and stops shooting 4+ three's a game he will start to reach his full potential.  You just don't learn how to shoot after years of being a terrible shooter. It just doesn't happen.

Gary Payton turned himself into a ok shooter. So did Jason Kidd.

I love Smart. I'm more than ok with everything he brings each night.
Gary Payton was barely shooting for his first four years and was a pretty decent shooter in college.  That said Payton was never a good shooter with just 1 season above 34% and just two other seasons above 33.3% and a career percentage of 31.7%. 

Jason Kidd was pretty bad as a rookie (27.2%), but his second year shot 33.6% and then was at 37% in his 3rd year.  He then went up and down a fair amount show a lack of consistency but was only below 32% two additional times in his career all in his first 7 years (where he was above 33.3% the other 4 times).  Kidd was 36.2% his 2nd (and final) year of college, so he had shown some ability to hit the deep ball before he entered the league. 

Smart, though was a poor shooter in college (29% and 29.9%) and has had over 4 three attempts a game in each of his first three seasons.  His rookie year was his best year at 33.5, but dropped to 25.3 last year before going back up to 29.5 this year (current career average is 29.6%).  Smart has shown nothing that indicates he will ever be anything more than what he is and if he ends up with a career percentage like Payton (31.7%), Boston should consider that a win. 

And don't get me wrong, I like Smart and think he could be a very good player, maybe even borderline all star type player, he just needs to stop shooting the ball from three so much.  If he scaled those back to 1 to 1.5 attempts a game, I think it would do wonders for how is perceived offensively, because he does do some very nice things on that end of the court along with being a + defender with DPOY potential. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2017, 11:37:21 AM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
"Never" is generally a bad word to use in player evaluation.  I wouldn't bet money that Smart will be a knockdown shooter but it's hardly impossible.  Players have made bigger shooting leaps in the past.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2017, 12:13:27 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I'm not worried. I've just conceded that anything you get on offense by him is gravy. People should probably temper expectations accordingly.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2017, 01:15:58 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I'm not worried. I've just conceded that anything you get on offense by him is gravy. People should probably temper expectations accordingly.

Bingo

« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2017, 01:32:27 PM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
Finally, someone has the bravery to address Marcus Smart's shooting on these forums!
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2017, 02:10:31 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
"Never" is generally a bad word to use in player evaluation.  I wouldn't bet money that Smart will be a knockdown shooter but it's hardly impossible.  Players have made bigger shooting leaps in the past.
name that person.  Find me a player that got consistent playing time with a consistent and good volume of shots, that after years of being a poor shooter all of a sudden turned it around.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip