Author Topic: We might be set at the 1, 2 and 3  (Read 8085 times)

Re: We might be set at the 1, 2 and 3
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2015, 09:21:36 AM »

Offline fandrew

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 25
I think that a slimmer and more agile Sully would be a 20/10 player. He is skilled enough, and smart enough to be that kind of player, its just a matter of conditioning.

Trouble is he was not agile when he was slimmer nor was he a good athlete.  He just does not have the base.   I agree, he has some skill, some basketball IQ but getting is shape will only help him so much because his athletic base is small and finite.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/NBA-Combine-Athletic-Testing-Results-Released-3964/

Sully was worst at the lane agility drill at 12.77 in his draft at his combine to put that into context KO was is an average athlete got 11.42, a guy like Cody Zeller posted a 10.8

Despite significant improvement, Sullinger still had 10.7% body fat. That’s not DeMarcus Cousins or Dexter Pittman level, but he should probably order the medium next time.

His 31-inch max vertical was sixth-worst, but his 7’1? wingspan gives him a solid max vertical reach. And the dude is sloooooow. Like, Peyton Manning slow. He was dead-last in lane agility, with the same time as the laterally-challenged Brook Lopez and JaVale McGee. He was also dead last in sprints. And despite all the talk about his overwhelming strength, his nine bench-press repetitions weren’t overly impressive.

Sullinger also refuted my sneaking suspicion that he’s a dead ringer for Kevin Love athletically, as Love’s combine numbers were much more impressive than Sullinger’s.

http://www.sportsgrid.com/nba/nba-draft-combine-results/

Here is a great Sullinger qoute:
"This (not being invited to the draft, being picked low) still tells me I'm not a good enough player yet. They told me I wasn't good enough, now it's time to work."

We are still waiting for him to start working, he has some talent, but I seriously question whether he will ever get it and get into shape.

http://boston.sbnation.com/boston-celtics/2012/6/29/3126741/nba-draft-2012-results-jared-sullinger-boston-celtics

here is what he said last year

“Not really focused on weight. More shape,” he said. “How long I can run, how fast I can run. Pretty much how long I can stay on the court without passing out. I’m working on that every day. I think I’ve got quick feet for my size. Losing weight and getting in better shape is only going to enhance that.”

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/07/02/cnotes/lyA0clB4wlV7uIlumZdRmK/story.html

Now do you see what a huge "if" that is for him to get into shape.   To be honest, I think we need a  SF who can shoot the three and do those PP things.,   and a 4 and 5.   We have the bench bigs .

When he was slimmer and in better shape, he was a rookie. This year he was averaging 14 and 8. And that is with pacing himself. And taking a ton of 3pt shots. So I completely think that 20 and 10 is about what he can do if he was a slimmer, well conditioned player playing a solid 32-36 minutes a game. His defense would probably be better too.

That said, I agree with you that he has not worked hard enough to get into shape and be the best player he could be. Otherwise we would have seen that. I think he will show up to camp at 270ish. Not where the team wants him, but better than the last 2 years. I also think that he will be trade bait this year because he is a solid asset still.

I think its a real shame that he let himself go so dramatically when he had his back surgery. That really was the start of his bad habits in the NBA because he found an excuse and just completely used it. And I don't care what he says about how hard it is to lose weight; people with less support than him do it all the time. He should be ripped with what he has at his disposal. And for god sake have some self control in regards to how much you eat. That is just discipline and mental fortitude. I know it can be hard, but he has everything else in place. His only job for half the year is to get in shape.

Side note: personally I would like to see him weigh in at 255, and work on his foot speed and strength. He is not naturally very quick, but if he were lighter he could improve it a bit.
"It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care." - Peter Gibbons

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2015, 10:16:17 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think that a slimmer and more agile Sully would be a 20/10 player. He is skilled enough, and smart enough to be that kind of player, its just a matter of conditioning.

Trouble is he was not agile when he was slimmer nor was he a good athlete.  He just does not have the base.   I agree, he has some skill, some basketball IQ but getting is shape will only help him so much because his athletic base is small and finite.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/NBA-Combine-Athletic-Testing-Results-Released-3964/

Sully was worst at the lane agility drill at 12.77 in his draft at his combine to put that into context KO was is an average athlete got 11.42, a guy like Cody Zeller posted a 10.8

Despite significant improvement, Sullinger still had 10.7% body fat. That’s not DeMarcus Cousins or Dexter Pittman level, but he should probably order the medium next time.

His 31-inch max vertical was sixth-worst, but his 7’1? wingspan gives him a solid max vertical reach. And the dude is sloooooow. Like, Peyton Manning slow. He was dead-last in lane agility, with the same time as the laterally-challenged Brook Lopez and JaVale McGee. He was also dead last in sprints. And despite all the talk about his overwhelming strength, his nine bench-press repetitions weren’t overly impressive.

Sullinger also refuted my sneaking suspicion that he’s a dead ringer for Kevin Love athletically, as Love’s combine numbers were much more impressive than Sullinger’s.

http://www.sportsgrid.com/nba/nba-draft-combine-results/

Here is a great Sullinger qoute:
"This (not being invited to the draft, being picked low) still tells me I'm not a good enough player yet. They told me I wasn't good enough, now it's time to work."

We are still waiting for him to start working, he has some talent, but I seriously question whether he will ever get it and get into shape.

http://boston.sbnation.com/boston-celtics/2012/6/29/3126741/nba-draft-2012-results-jared-sullinger-boston-celtics

here is what he said last year

“Not really focused on weight. More shape,” he said. “How long I can run, how fast I can run. Pretty much how long I can stay on the court without passing out. I’m working on that every day. I think I’ve got quick feet for my size. Losing weight and getting in better shape is only going to enhance that.”

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/07/02/cnotes/lyA0clB4wlV7uIlumZdRmK/story.html

Now do you see what a huge "if" that is for him to get into shape.   To be honest, I think we need a  SF who can shoot the three and do those PP things.,   and a 4 and 5.   We have the bench bigs .

When he was slimmer and in better shape, he was a rookie. This year he was averaging 14 and 8. And that is with pacing himself. And taking a ton of 3pt shots. So I completely think that 20 and 10 is about what he can do if he was a slimmer, well conditioned player playing a solid 32-36 minutes a game. His defense would probably be better too.

That said, I agree with you that he has not worked hard enough to get into shape and be the best player he could be. Otherwise we would have seen that. I think he will show up to camp at 270ish. Not where the team wants him, but better than the last 2 years. I also think that he will be trade bait this year because he is a solid asset still.

I think its a real shame that he let himself go so dramatically when he had his back surgery. That really was the start of his bad habits in the NBA because he found an excuse and just completely used it. And I don't care what he says about how hard it is to lose weight; people with less support than him do it all the time. He should be ripped with what he has at his disposal. And for god sake have some self control in regards to how much you eat. That is just discipline and mental fortitude. I know it can be hard, but he has everything else in place. His only job for half the year is to get in shape.

Side note: personally I would like to see him weigh in at 255, and work on his foot speed and strength. He is not naturally very quick, but if he were lighter he could improve it a bit.
I think Sullinger will come into camp in shape, because if he doesn't do it this offseason it will cost him a lot of money since he's a free agent after next year.

If he comes into the season in shape and plays very well to start the year, we need to trade him immediately since I have no faith in him getting in shape long term.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2015, 11:35:41 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Agree,  I would be happy with  260 even.

I think Sullinger will come into camp in shape, because if he doesn't do it this offseason it will cost him a lot of money since he's a free agent after next year.

Let's hope so!

If he comes into the season in shape and plays very well to start the year, we need to trade him immediately since I have no faith in him getting in shape long term.
   You may have a point as some of his flaws are character (not getting into shape, taking plays off, not running the court) related. 

I doubt we could move up one spot in the draft to get WCS with our first and Sully but I would try it if he was there or one of the decent SFs.  Depends on what is out there I suppose.

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2015, 11:38:41 AM »

Offline Joe Green

• Brad Stevens
Do you know HOW FEW 20/10 players are in the league?  3 !!!!

Cousins, Aldridge and Davis... Thats IT !

Clearly, even Sully lovers do not think he is that good.

In fact, there are only 9 guys total who are posting 15/10.....

Sully is doing fine at 14.4 / 8.1

Where he needs to improve is defense (103 DRTg) and shooting (not good enough in the paint and terrible from 3pt land).

Losing weight will also increase his ability to play more minutes - since he is playing less than 30 at the moment...

« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2015, 12:31:49 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Agree,  I would be happy with  260 even.

Let's hope so!

You may have a point as some of his flaws are character (not getting into shape, taking plays off, not running the court) related. 

I doubt we could move up one spot in the draft to get WCS with our first and Sully but I would try it if he was there or one of the decent SFs.  Depends on what is out there I suppose.
The problem is when the draft happens Sully won't be healthy and in shape, so trading him during the offseason is selling low. I think we have to wait until it's closer to the trade deadline.

Btw I think losing weight will help his defense (improve his quickness but also give him the energy to not take defensive plays off) and shooting (I think fatigue hurt his shooting).
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2015, 12:36:33 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Do you know HOW FEW 20/10 players are in the league?

He is not one of them.  He never will be one of them and that is about what opposing bigs post big numbers on him.   Just look as his Opponent Counterpart 48-Minute Production

http://www.82games.com/1415/14BOS15.HTM

Now no one plays 48 mpg, especially bigs, but rest assured everyone looked forward to playing Jared ( no not the one from Subway but he could be a before model)

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2015, 02:07:20 AM »

Offline Joe Green

• Brad Stevens
Do you know HOW FEW 20/10 players are in the league?

He is not one of them.  He never will be one of them and that is about what opposing bigs post big numbers on him.   Just look as his Opponent Counterpart 48-Minute Production

http://www.82games.com/1415/14BOS15.HTM

Now no one plays 48 mpg, especially bigs, but rest assured everyone looked forward to playing Jared ( no not the one from Subway but he could be a before model)

Part of the problem is that Jared played a lot of Center and was guarding guys 3" - 4" inches taller. When switched on PF his extra "mass" made him too slow. He should lose the weight (obviously) and NEVER guard another Center before we can evaluate his defensive potential.

« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2015, 02:12:55 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
There might not be a single player on this roster that would start on a true contender.  It's a team of role players.

The only one who might have a shot at stardom is supposedly Marcus Smart, but my enthusiasm for his star potential has dwindled.   I see a defensive role player. 

« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2015, 03:10:47 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552
There might not be a single player on this roster that would start on a true contender.  It's a team of role players.

The only one who might have a shot at stardom is supposedly Marcus Smart, but my enthusiasm for his star potential has dwindled.   I see a defensive role player.
Defensive role players can start on contending teams.  I think Bradley would be a good fit on OKC.  He'd be the 4th option on offense and wouldn't need to handle the ball much with Westbrook and Durant around.  Bradley would be able to focus on his defense.  Other than Smart and Bradley, Crowder could maybe start for a team like Memphis.  That may be it.  I definitely can't see any of our bigs starting on a contender.  Of course there's always room for improvement.  So maybe Young could with 2 or 3 years more development. 

« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2015, 12:25:08 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Defensive role players can start on contending teams.  I think Bradley would be a good fit on OKC.  He'd be the 4th option on offense and wouldn't need to handle the ball much with Westbrook and Durant around.  Bradley would be able to focus on his defense.  Other than Smart and Bradley, Crowder could maybe start for a team like Memphis.  That may be it.  I definitely can't see any of our bigs starting on a contender.  Of course there's always room for improvement.  So maybe Young could with 2 or 3 years more development.
At best, they'd be the 5th best player on a contender.  I think even Bradley is a back-up on most teams.

« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2015, 12:37:11 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4

At best, they'd be the 5th best player on a contender.  I think even Bradley is a back-up on most teams.
If Smart develops (and I know half this blog thinks hes Marcus Banks) then the Smart IT Bradley and potentially Young backcourt I think could absolutely make up the back court of a "true contender"

« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2015, 01:08:27 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
"Might" is the key word but "doubtful" could easily be put in its place and accepted.

« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2015, 01:51:06 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123

What about AB. Didn't he beat out Ray for a starting spot? Didn't he, a D guy score 30 the other night?

« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2015, 01:54:30 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

What about AB. Didn't he beat out Ray for a starting spot? Didn't he, a D guy score 30 the other night?

I think AB is the only one that could conceivably be part of a starting five & even that notion is seriously debatable.

Now Smart down the road?  Possibly.    But not the Smart they have now.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2015, 02:03:18 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
and to whomever said we could "easily" upgrade all 5 of our starting spots: get real. We just need a star!