Author Topic: Grade Danny as the Celtics GM.  (Read 7493 times)

Re: Grade Danny as the Celtics GM.
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2015, 04:01:49 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I give him an A- to B+.    Only Red got a A+ when he got Kevin McHale and Parrish in the same year for JBC.

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2015, 04:33:05 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I believe this was a thread a bit ago.  As I remember I gave him a good A something mark. 
Overall I would give him a B.  Trades early on with KG Ray Rondo were great.  I personally thought the perk/green deal was very good.  With howard out of the east and lebron and carmelo we needed a quality sf more than a low post defender.  BUT since then bradley signing  :-\ .  Rondo being moved for pennies on dollar  :'( .  Missing out on Asik or true center.  Recent highlights, smart, sully and KO drafts certainly make up for the giddens of the world.  The Zeller deal and Evan Turner being signed for pennies on the dollar.
Solid B.  If Rondo deal ends up being better than it would go to A.

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2015, 04:53:35 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2407
A = only 5 GMs in this league have built a title winning side. Ainge is one of them.

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2015, 05:25:32 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
A = only 5 GMs in this league have built a title winning side. Ainge is one of them.

Great point.

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2015, 05:31:52 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

Shouldn't a grade of an A be reserved for people at the job/position who are consistently great? DA has had some great years, but no sustained greatness.

The C's were consistently very good, if not great, for 5 years.  Moments of greatness.  If not for a few injuries, easily would have had at least 1 more championship.

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2015, 05:34:18 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
A++ now.  Somehow got a 1st , 2nd a some decent young prospects for Rajon "I don't play defense" Rondo

Let's not forget how he parlayed Jordan 'waiver claim' crawford into 2 draft picks.

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2015, 05:36:20 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
A "B".

To me, he should've waited longer before trading Rondo. Should've gotten more for him.

Even with the Perkins trade a few years ago, it's even been discussed that Danny was not fully aware of the effect on team chemistry that that trade had at the time. I remember KG and PP speaking about that.

In any event I still trust that he'll turn this current team around, but I don't like the game he is playing with going full in depending on this draft and the many picks we have coming up, and with depending upon Free Agency.

Danny Ainge is going to have to put on his best suit, drip honey from his mouth and buy potential Free Agents a Steak Dinner before they even LISTEN to his offers, now.

I trust Danny, as I've said before, but MAN he's making this harder for BOS, now.

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2015, 05:52:46 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
A

Outside of SA, can't think of a better FO, not even the CBlog GMs.

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2015, 06:33:23 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
A-
Apart from slight mistakes, lots of good and timely decisions.
He always keeps his cool and works with a plan.
As good as a manager can ever be.

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2015, 10:15:36 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
First and foremost, I am admitting that I am an Antoine "apologist". (Ainge apologists, go somewhere else please).

I can not give a grade on Ainge's GM work....I can only offer my grade on the GM results.

My grade is an A- minus.

How it got the end results is a different grade.....my personal grade on how Danny's work got to the results are, in my personal perspective, not reliant on Danny's GM work performance, but relied on 2 distinct advantages that Danny possessed which not many other GM's could obtain or had at the time.

1) Ainge was a former Celtic.
2) Ainge was a former teammate to Kevin McHale.

There is no debate on the results.....we accomplished #17. Results speak for themselves.

We most likely could have had #18, 19 maybe 20.......(if no KG leg injury, no Perk knee injury).

At any rate, there are people who don't care about the "how" or the "why", they just care about the "ends"/"results". I am not one of those people. I do care about the why and the how. I am not saying Danny "cheated", he had distinct advantages that other GMs did not......I seriously doubt McHale could have sold Minny owner on that package for KG to any other franchise especially to another Western Conference fanchise......that Al Jefferson trade doesn't go through if it wasn't for that back history....IMO.

« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2015, 10:26:43 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Incomplete to me.

I need to see what he does in the next two years with the assets he accumulated.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2015, 10:06:07 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
Except for that horrific trade of Kendrick Perkins for Jeff Green, Nenid Krstic, etc, I would say Danny Ainge has done a very good job. I think that maybe he could have started the rebuild after 2012 but that is tough since Doc Rivers was the coach and he was veterans coach.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2015, 10:33:54 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
First and foremost, I am admitting that I am an Antoine "apologist". (Ainge apologists, go somewhere else please).

I can not give a grade on Ainge's GM work....I can only offer my grade on the GM results.

My grade is an A- minus.

How it got the end results is a different grade.....my personal grade on how Danny's work got to the results are, in my personal perspective, not reliant on Danny's GM work performance, but relied on 2 distinct advantages that Danny possessed which not many other GM's could obtain or had at the time.

1) Ainge was a former Celtic.
2) Ainge was a former teammate to Kevin McHale.

There is no debate on the results.....we accomplished #17. Results speak for themselves.

We most likely could have had #18, 19 maybe 20.......(if no KG leg injury, no Perk knee injury).

At any rate, there are people who don't care about the "how" or the "why", they just care about the "ends"/"results". I am not one of those people. I do care about the why and the how. I am not saying Danny "cheated", he had distinct advantages that other GMs did not......I seriously doubt McHale could have sold Minny owner on that package for KG to any other franchise especially to another Western Conference fanchise......that Al Jefferson trade doesn't go through if it wasn't for that back history....IMO.

I think that if McHale traded KG to Boston when other teams offered better packages because of his ties to Danny he'd have been fired and have little shot at ever landing another nba front office job. That, and deliberately weakening your roster by accepting a below market value trade package is quite a risk to take in order to help a friend get your best player on the cheap.

« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2015, 11:38:34 PM »

Offline MaxAMillion

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 16
"F" standing for Friends with Kevin McHale. Otherwise he would have accomplished nothing.

« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2015, 11:47:12 PM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
Even with the Perkins trade a few years ago, it's even been discussed that Danny was not fully aware of the effect on team chemistry that that trade had at the time. I remember KG and PP speaking about that.

I recall that Ainge acted quickly on that trade because we had no wing help for Pierce after Marquis went down with his season-ending injury. If Marquis stayed healthy, I think Ainge would have targeted Green that off-season.