Author Topic: Celtics to play Nets in "shortened game experiment"  (Read 6368 times)

Re: Celtics to play Nets in "shortened game experiment"
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2014, 01:06:06 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
let's see....The League just signed a $24 BILLION Television deal....The Salary Cap will be going up, along with Team Profits.

If it Aint Broke...Don't Fix it.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2014, 03:53:53 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3062
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
What about stat wise as far as history dumb idea.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2014, 02:40:56 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I would like the idea of shortening the play clock from 24 seconds to 20 seconds. This would increase the pace of the game and result in more total plays overall.  Just taking off 1 minute per quarter will probably have minimal impact however.  Taking away 1 timeout per half might also help with quickening the game a little and also effects end game strategy.

« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2014, 08:51:28 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I would like the idea of shortening the play clock from 24 seconds to 20 seconds. This would increase the pace of the game and result in more total plays overall.  Just taking off 1 minute per quarter will probably have minimal impact however.  Taking away 1 timeout per half might also help with quickening the game a little and also effects end game strategy.

you'd think a 20 sec. shot clock would help. but if they did this i'd say games are likely to be real ugly.

this would take getting used to by everyone. something that would have to be practiced throughout training camp and practices.

they should just do away with qrtr's and do it the way soccer does it.

either way this "shortened game experiment" is just another typical NBA Band-Aid where they acknowledge there's a problem but don't address the real issue - the refs, they're full-timers and they're horrible and they're the ones that make the game longer than it needs to be. 

i'm sure if these "long games" made them look bad the way Sterling did then they'd already have a real solution in place.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 06:26:44 AM by GreenWarrior »

« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2014, 07:56:09 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Sounds like Stevens is one of the real strong advocates of this:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/10/15/shortened-game-has-long-been-discussed/lQZXYkZMGCw18vQjObkiPP/story.html

Maybe he'd like rather make NBA games more like college games?

But with all due respect, he seems to completely miss the point of the NBA or its impact on fans, which would essentially be taking some of the good stuff (actual game play) away from the product while not substantially addressing the bad stuff (too many delays and breaks in action).

I'd be fine with only limited 30-second time outs in the last three or five minutes, and just one FT shot, without reducing the potential points earned, in the same time frame.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 08:37:29 AM by clover »