Author Topic: Chris Manix : Rondo and Ray's relationship has soured over the past season  (Read 11840 times)

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
it's been between the lines, but if you look closely it's been there.
Rondo and Allen have not been getting along all that great. Guessing Rondo and Pierce have been butting heads a little too  

I think (purely my guess) that there's a little bit of chafing between Rondo and Ray and Paul. I think the big three still think of themselves as the big three and not the 2nd, 3rd and 5th best players on the team. I think it shows up less between Rondo and KG because KG is so unselfish and team-oriented.

After KG and RR were the two players carrying the team through the post-season, it wouldn't surprise me if their bond were stronger than ever--which should bode well for KG's return next year.

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 122
Rondo and Allen have not been getting along all that great. Guessing Rondo and Pierce have been butting heads a little too  
this rite here u can sense tension between them 2 nd Rondo for a while

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I wouldn't get worked about it. It won't impact the decision for Ray to stay or for Danny to want to keep him. It's just some minor squabbling between teammates that happens from time to time.

Absolutely.  Its not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.  What is a bigger deal will be money, and whether Ray wants to start.  I think those are going to be what decides whether he is back or not, not a personality conflict with a teammate.

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
Who cares? I have heard rumours rondo was the biggest advocate of starting Bradley (which he was 100% correct about), and you could tell the on court chemistry with ray wasnt quite what it use to be, because frankly he couldnt get open as often.
Much ado about nothing and if its that serious, its more rays fault, but of course naturally op is trying to blame rondo..."who could possibly not get along with ray allen" really?  if thats the main reason ray wont come back? sad and pathetic but i wish him the best, absolute best

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
You know, I have little doubt there's probably friction there.  I'm sure to some extent, there's been friction between all 4 of them at different points.

This still to me sounds more over-blown than serious though.  I highly doubt if Ray doesn't come back, his relationships with any of his teammates will be why.

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
I don't know how you could say/write so many words without actually making a point. Good work, Mannix!

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
this rite here u can sense tension between them 2 nd Rondo for a while

why is it always rondo butting heads with so and so?
 or his fault? Do Pierce and Allen seem to be getting along as famously as in the past? are there any reports about how great of friends Pierce and KG are? id say Ray Allens attitude soured toward everyone after the almost trade

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I wouldn't get worked about it. It won't impact the decision for Ray to stay or for Danny to want to keep him. It's just some minor squabbling between teammates that happens from time to time.

Absolutely.  Its not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.  What is a bigger deal will be money, and whether Ray wants to start.  I think those are going to be what decides whether he is back or not, not a personality conflict with a teammate.

I guess the way I see it; Ray ,plain and simple, needs to realize he is better off as a sixth man.  His days of being a starter (on a contender) are over.

As much as I love and appreciate everything Ray (and the big 3) have done for us, this is Rondo's team now.  The rest need to get in line.

And they probably will.  The Big 3 want to be here.  Call it a hunch.

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
I noticed during the PHI and MIA that there were probalby 1-3 times a game where Ray would come off his patented battery of screens with what looked to be his normal (or close to normal) separation and Rondo simply looked him off.

I found it odd, but this might shed some light on it.

In a perfect world I'd like Ray Allen back on this team but I think he may find a better role for more money elsewhere sadly.
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
I noticed during the PHI and MIA that there were probalby 1-3 times a game where Ray would come off his patented battery of screens with what looked to be his normal (or close to normal) separation and Rondo simply looked him off.

I get the feeling that Rondo's court instincts are so strong that he couldn't freeze someone out of the offense, even if he wanted.

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

I get the feeling that Rondo's court instincts are so strong that he couldn't freeze someone out of the offense, even if he wanted.
I don't think Rondo's a guy who will ever pass on a good shot from anyone because he doesn't like them.

Frown, whine, yell at teammates, sulk after games -- I can see him doing any of these, but I can't imagine anything tricking onto the court.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I see a lot of it going the other way. Ray will get a rebound and bring the ball up when Rondo's calling for the ball, or PP will avoid passing the ball to Rondo when the defense is on him and Rondo's calling for it and try and run a play with KG or Ray against a stacked defense.

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Personally I think its  probably because Rondo preferred to play with Avery towards the end of the season because he finally had somebody that could keep up with him and would defend the other teams best guard.

I think this has something to do with it.  Ray strikes me as a very proud individual.  My guess is that when Avery really started to turn it on this season, Rondo had some discussions with Doc and/or Danny about getting Avery more minutes and sacrificing time for Ray.  We all know Ray did not take being benched very well, and if thinks or somehow knows that Rondo lobbied for it, I could see how we would feel upset.

Having said that, if that did indeed occur, Rondo is exactly the kind of player I want leading this franchise for the next 5 years.

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1481
I have actually seen that happen a few times.  Ray's ball handling skills have gone down a bit in the past couple of years.  I am always worried about a TO when Ray has the ball in transition, and tends to either get trapped in the corner / sideline or just flubs a dribble.  I could see that being a source of friction.  Rondo doesn't want to chance the turnover, but Ray still thinks he can handle the ball like he did when he was an elite player.  

I have to say though, I was impressed with Ray's def during our playoff run, he worked hard at being a pest, and was way better than I expected on D.  I really like Ray as a scorer from the bench for us next year.  If we could get / stay healthy a bench of RA, Bass (if a better 4 is found), Green, Wilcox, MP, Dooling, JJJ, Moore could be decent.  Def some scoring in there if a good rotation can get worked out.

I see a lot of it going the other way. Ray will get a rebound and bring the ball up when Rondo's calling for the ball, or PP will avoid passing the ball to Rondo when the defense is on him and Rondo's calling for it and try and run a play with KG or Ray against a stacked defense.