Author Topic: Should we have traded Morris and/or Rozier?  (Read 3432 times)

Should we have traded Morris and/or Rozier?
« on: February 12, 2019, 05:11:41 AM »

Offline 10610786d

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 27
My gut says yes. Brown, Hayward, Tatum and Smart get more minutes.

Especially Rozier. Morris is playing at a "fringe" All Star level (a la Kyle Korver). Meanwhile, Wanamaker seems to be a better fit as a distributor, and Rozier is sucking big time.

But for a team aspiring for a deep playoff run, in the playoffs, talent wins out, and apparently the need to win drowns out any chemistry issues. I'm not sure if there's been anything quite like these 2018/19 Celtics, where 3 or 4 players on the bench are almost as good as 2 or 3 of the starters.

Even with Rozier, I can foresee a game or two where we say "boy am I glad we kept him". Because solid as Wanamaker is currently, the playoffs are a whole different ballgame.

What do you guys think?

Re: Should we have traded Morris and/or Rozier?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 05:24:39 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
For all the games that Terry plays well, there are 10x as many where he is just brutal. I also think he is hindering Hayward, as Hayward is a much better passer and general play-maker than TRoz, yet he doesn't get the ball nearly enough due to the tunnel-vision of Rozier.

I wish we'd traded Rozier. For absolutely anything. Ah well, too late now. I still hope for a sign and trade, because losing him for nothing would suck, but it wouldn't suck as much as keeping him.

I still think Morris is an important figure for the team. The gap between our key rotation wings (Tatum, Brown, Morris and Hayward) and our deep bench guys like Semi and Yabu is significant, and as much as I like them I'd rather have more talent. However, he needs to shoot better than he has the last few weeks. Shooting closer to 40% than 50% (like he did in January - much better from the field in Feb, but significantly worse from 3) is unacceptable for a starter.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 06:18:03 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Of course we should have. No question.

We will lose both for nothing in the offseason as both are easily replaceable at deals much less than what they will be asking, and both have been causing both on amd odd court problems

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 07:23:35 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

We will lose both for nothing in the offseason as both are easily replaceable at deals much less than what they will be asking, and both have been causing both on amd odd court problems

I think it's too early to judge.

We have to know for sure and the only way to know that is to let them play in the playoffs.

If the Celts exit early in the playoffs, like in the 1st round, I will totally agree with you that Morris and Rozier should have been traded.

Take the case of the 2012 Celtics.
That Celtics team was frustrating to watch in the regular season.
But that 2012 Celtics surprised everybody by making it to the east finals and taking the Heat to a Game 7.

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 07:28:40 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Also, do Tacos taste good with salsa?
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 08:38:35 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

We have to know for sure and the only way to know that is to let them play in the playoffs.

If the Celts exit early in the playoffs, like in the 1st round, I will totally agree with you that Morris and Rozier should have been traded.

But that 2012 Celtics surprised everybody by making it to the east finals and taking the Heat to a Game 7.

take this season out of it altogether.

Rozier and Morris will not be able to be used in a sign and trade this offseason for Davis as cap rules make it super hard for that to happen.

So either we pay them as much as they are going to be looking for and go even deeper into the lux tax, or maybe move them for some sort of cheap depth in a S&T (again very difficult to do because of the CBA) or let them go for nothing.

nothing

Danny very easily should have been able to have traded them at some point this season for a couple of contract that extend PAST this season and into next season, which would have then been used as salary filler in a davis trade and negated the CBA Sign and trade rules.

It was a terrible financial decision to keep them both past the deadline

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 09:01:10 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I created a thread like this at the trade deadline (mods feel free to merge).  I go back and forth on this.  We may need more draft capital for a Davis trade.  I feel like I’m on the edge of my seats with our picks lol the Clippers could miss the playoffs and that pick could eventually be a 2nd rounder if not conveyed next year, the Kings just might make the playoffs, and it’s still not a shoe in the Grizzlies pick turns to gold.

Say if we traded both for a very lightly protected future first down the road say from the Spurs for example along with a role player back in return that is more suited for a bench role I just may bite on that. 

Ideally for me I’d like to see Morris go from the 28 MPG he is getting now to about 20 MPG, and increase Brown and Hayward’s minutes as they give us the highest upside for a playoff run.

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 09:30:54 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I think we should have done some sort of consolidation trade and preferably one in which the player acquired had an extra year.  I also think it was important to drop below the luxury tax as it makes keeping the team together easier long term. I mean seeing what Fultz went for, I almost wish Boston would have acquired him for Morris, Rozier, and Yabu.  Though that would have been unlikely for a number of reasons.  I might have done Kaminsky for Morris (or Chriss for Morris or Bender for Morris or something like that).  Drops the team below the tax though that wouldn't have added salary for next year.   I'd been pushing a Giles and Mason for Morris trade for awhile on here, could have also added Rozier and Ferrell.  that trade would have accomplished what I would have wanted, dropped the team below the tax, picked up better fitting bench players, added contracts available to trade in the summer, and given the team some potential young player assets.  If Minnesota was open, Rozier for Saric would have been an interesting trade for both teams and would have added an extra contract/asset for next year.

The fact that Boston did nothing at the deadline was a real bummer for me, especially when all of the other eastern contenders made moves.  I realize some of the moves I proposed would have made Boston worse on paper, but I do think it would have been better long term and perhaps there would be addition by subtraction going on.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 09:41:14 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Should we have?  probably not.  Could we have?  who knows.

reasons against it: the 2 of them know Brad's system and know the lockerroom/personalities of the team so less disruption to the team trying to integrate new players on the court and lockerroom.  Also, they're both capable of going off for over 20 points in a game which, considering some of the offensive droughts this team has even with this roster, is a benefit that I don't think we'd get from whomever they could have been traded for.

I don't worry about losing either with no return.  did the same with Olynyk and we don't seem the worse for wear.  have to weigh the benefits of having them for a playoff run and being able to resign them if needed vs trading them and not having them for the playoffs or following years.

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 10:14:17 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Only if we were able to acquire either a center or a shooting guard.

We need both and don't really have a true shooting guard on the team.

That said, I can see why Ainge didn't trade either.

Morris has been great this year and Rozier is not only back-up if Kyrie needs a night off, but back-up in the event Kyrie leaves in free agency.

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2019, 10:23:33 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Only if we were able to acquire either a center or a shooting guard.

We need both and don't really have a true shooting guard on the team.

That said, I can see why Ainge didn't trade either.

Morris has been great this year and Rozier is not only back-up if Kyrie needs a night off, but back-up in the event Kyrie leaves in free agency.

This is how I see it as well.

Though the team might do better right now with veteran role players than wannabe superstars and their contract year bs.

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2019, 10:40:34 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Rozier and Morris will not be able to be used in a sign and trade this offseason for Davis as cap rules make it super hard for that to happen.

So either we pay them as much as they are going to be looking for and go even deeper into the lux tax, or maybe move them for some sort of cheap depth in a S&T (again very difficult to do because of the CBA) or let them go for nothing.

nothing

Danny very easily should have been able to have traded them at some point this season for a couple of contract that extend PAST this season and into next season, which would have then been used as salary filler in a davis trade and negated the CBA Sign and trade rules.

You can't just take this season out of it. Having them for the rest of the year has value, both to us or to any team that we could have traded them too (which is why we would get something for trading them). This isn't a rebuilding team that needs to trade performance now for 2nd round picks

It's like saying "if you take the money we sent them out of it altogether, the Hawks made a horrible basketball/financial decision by trading for Jabari Bird"
I'm bitter.

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2019, 10:57:54 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Should we have?  probably not.  Could we have?  who knows.

reasons against it: the 2 of them know Brad's system and know the lockerroom/personalities of the team so less disruption to the team trying to integrate new players on the court and lockerroom.  Also, they're both capable of going off for over 20 points in a game which, considering some of the offensive droughts this team has even with this roster, is a benefit that I don't think we'd get from whomever they could have been traded for.

I don't worry about losing either with no return.  did the same with Olynyk and we don't seem the worse for wear.  have to weigh the benefits of having them for a playoff run and being able to resign them if needed vs trading them and not having them for the playoffs or following years.

The difference between Olynyk verses Morris and Rozier, is an indirect way not re-signing KO helped open up cap space for Hayward whereas losing Morris and Rozier you don’t gain much of a side benefit.

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2019, 11:25:37 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

nothing

You can't just take this season out of it. Having them for the rest of the year has value, both to us or to any team that we could have traded them too (which is why we would get something for trading them). This isn't a rebuilding team that needs to trade performance now for 2nd round picks

It's like saying "if you take the money we sent them out of it altogether, the Hawks made a horrible basketball/financial decision by trading for Jabari Bird"

I dont think anyone was advocating the trading of Morris and Rozier for 2nd round picks.

But a deal needed, and should have, been struck netting replacement asset whose contract extends into next season.

A player to help now, and in the "trade"

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2019, 11:30:29 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

nothing

But Ainge can re-sign both Rozier and Morris after the season.

It's up to Rozier and Morris if they want to come back.

Celts might need both of them if the Celts are going to lose multiple players in the Anthony Davis trade.