Author Topic: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)  (Read 366908 times)

Re: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)
« Reply #1170 on: November 01, 2018, 10:16:00 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The point per Hinkie was to put the team in the best possible position to compete for championships, by quite simply playing the best possible odds.

If the Sixers never win a title, but essentially have a decade like the Mavs directly preceding the title in 2011, the Bucks in the 80's, or the Hawks decade with Horford, I'd think the Process would be deemed a raging success, and frankly it looks like the Sixers are set up to have that sort of run.  Making the playoffs every year, winning playoff series a lot of years, and with a couple of deep runs is very hard, and it shouldn't be discredited just because they weren't the 1 team to win a title in any season.

Wow. I think this is the most shocked I have been to read something by you. I think the Hawks are frequently held up as an example of the opposite of what you want to do and something the 76ers have frequently cited as the whole point of the process (to not be the hawks). To say the 76ers ending up like that would make the process a raging success is quite honestly the most shocking take I have may have read from your (or perhaps any poster).
I find it amusing that any fanbase would be upset with 10 straight playoff appearances with 6 playoff series victories, especially from one that in the preceding 18 seasons had 6 playoff series victories and only 9 playoff appearances.  Going back further in the preceding 26 seasons they had 10 playoff appearances and 7 playoff victories.  This idea that a decade of playoff appearances with multiple seasons of winning at least 1 playoff series is a failure, it just nonsense.
Really? You can't think of one fanbase that would be upset with 10 years of making the playoffs, winning 6 series in that time but not winning a championship? Really? Not any? And you are making that statement on CelticsStrong?
it is still a successful rin though.  Were the Malone/Stickton Jazz a failure? Were the 80's Bucks a failure? If the Mavs didn't win in  2011 would they have been a failure? What about the Thunder, were they a failure (remember they tanked just as blatantly as the Suxers for 2.5 seasons)?

Asking a franchise in the midst of a run if they would be satisfied with what I described is never going to yield anything but no, but it doesn't make it a failure either.
Yeah, you are moving the goalposts on that answer, Moranis. My reply was only on your claim that there isn't a fanbase that wouldn't be upset with the results you stated.

I never commented on if those teams failed. I never commented on Dallas, Utah, Milwaukee, OKC or anything else you said. I commented on a very specific comment and that comment, to me, is pretty far from reality given how Celtics fans would view those results. And given you are making that on a Celtic fan blog is unreal.
I also grew up with most of my sports memories in the 90's when the Celtics were awful and watched this exact fanbase celebrate quite significantly the Walker/Pierce teams of the early 2000's, which as we know weren't contenders
Except this fanbase was happy to have one decent team after a decade of yuck. But they sure weren't happy that they weren't winning championships. Kids were excited about those Celtics. Older fans were happy when Danny blew it up and started over because they knew that team was never going to win a title.

Think back on those memories my man. It was exciting to see Pierce jumping on tables and Toine screaming at Pierce to psyche him up but everyone but the youngest of C's fans knew that team was going nowhere and we're never satisfied or happy they weren't getting title number 17.

« Reply #1171 on: November 01, 2018, 10:43:19 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
We should start watching the 76ers and hope they lose. There's a chance the 76ers end up with a worse record than kings. In that case we would get the 76ers pick

« Reply #1172 on: November 01, 2018, 10:44:09 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
We should start watching the 76ers and hope they lose. There's a chance the 76ers end up with a worse record than kings. In that case we would get the 76ers pick
That would be so hilarious. I'd rather a top 10 pick from Sacramento, but a lotto pick from Philly would be fine
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1173 on: November 02, 2018, 01:12:24 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
The point per Hinkie was to put the team in the best possible position to compete for championships, by quite simply playing the best possible odds.

If the Sixers never win a title, but essentially have a decade like the Mavs directly preceding the title in 2011, the Bucks in the 80's, or the Hawks decade with Horford, I'd think the Process would be deemed a raging success, and frankly it looks like the Sixers are set up to have that sort of run.  Making the playoffs every year, winning playoff series a lot of years, and with a couple of deep runs is very hard, and it shouldn't be discredited just because they weren't the 1 team to win a title in any season.

Wow. I think this is the most shocked I have been to read something by you. I think the Hawks are frequently held up as an example of the opposite of what you want to do and something the 76ers have frequently cited as the whole point of the process (to not be the hawks). To say the 76ers ending up like that would make the process a raging success is quite honestly the most shocking take I have may have read from your (or perhaps any poster).
I find it amusing that any fanbase would be upset with 10 straight playoff appearances with 6 playoff series victories, especially from one that in the preceding 18 seasons had 6 playoff series victories and only 9 playoff appearances.  Going back further in the preceding 26 seasons they had 10 playoff appearances and 7 playoff victories.  This idea that a decade of playoff appearances with multiple seasons of winning at least 1 playoff series is a failure, it just nonsense.
Really? You can't think of one fanbase that would be upset with 10 years of making the playoffs, winning 6 series in that time but not winning a championship? Really? Not any? And you are making that statement on CelticsStrong?
it is still a successful rin though.  Were the Malone/Stickton Jazz a failure? Were the 80's Bucks a failure? If the Mavs didn't win in  2011 would they have been a failure? What about the Thunder, were they a failure (remember they tanked just as blatantly as the Suxers for 2.5 seasons)?

Asking a franchise in the midst of a run if they would be satisfied with what I described is never going to yield anything but no, but it doesn't make it a failure either.
Yeah, you are moving the goalposts on that answer, Moranis. My reply was only on your claim that there isn't a fanbase that wouldn't be upset with the results you stated.

I never commented on if those teams failed. I never commented on Dallas, Utah, Milwaukee, OKC or anything else you said. I commented on a very specific comment and that comment, to me, is pretty far from reality given how Celtics fans would view those results. And given you are making that on a Celtic fan blog is unreal.
I also grew up with most of my sports memories in the 90's when the Celtics were awful and watched this exact fanbase celebrate quite significantly the Walker/Pierce teams of the early 2000's, which as we know weren't contenders
Except this fanbase was happy to have one decent team after a decade of yuck. But they sure weren't happy that they weren't winning championships. Kids were excited about those Celtics. Older fans were happy when Danny blew it up and started over because they knew that team was never going to win a title.

Think back on those memories my man. It was exciting to see Pierce jumping on tables and Toine screaming at Pierce to psyche him up but everyone but the youngest of C's fans knew that team was going nowhere and we're never satisfied or happy they weren't getting title number 17.

Yeah I enjoyed that comeback against the nets as much as anyone, but it was really crappy that was the high point. I think some kids and casual fans loved employee number 8, but if we ran it back with toine and pierce for ten years and won 5 playoff series we all would be livid. We have 17 championships. This is such a strange take I am surprised it is still going on

« Reply #1174 on: November 02, 2018, 06:46:25 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Pretenders not contenders, the Bucks, Celtics and Toronto are all a big notch above them.  Big difference between winning when folks are tanking like they did last year and playing when teams are not.

« Reply #1175 on: November 02, 2018, 12:05:55 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Pretenders not contenders, the Bucks, Celtics and Toronto are all a big notch above them.  Big difference between winning when folks are tanking like they did last year and playing when teams are not.

Yea I think this is a really underrated part of scheduling and records that people don't think about enough. It is easy to think that because teams all play basically the same games if they are in the same conference the schedules are the same but they really are not. If you look around the league right now teams like sac, magic, etc are all trying like heck to win. This was the case last year when teams like the Knicks, Lakers and Magic all got off to good starts. By the end of the year a lot of these teams are terrible and in extreme cases, not even playing their best young guys anymore. The 76ers were incredibly fortunate to play something like 20 of their last 25 games against lottery teams last year and it pumped up their win total by about 4 or 5 over what it would have been with a balanced schedule.

« Reply #1176 on: November 04, 2018, 08:24:05 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Amazing!

« Reply #1177 on: November 05, 2018, 06:09:00 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
They looked pretty good the last few games and then they get blitzed by the Nets.  Very strange team they have.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1178 on: November 05, 2018, 07:06:46 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
6ers are thin.
Not many draft assets anymore.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #1179 on: November 07, 2018, 12:57:26 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
6ers are thin.
Not many draft assets anymore.

This is very True. All of their offers for a star now include some combination of Fultz (low trade value, high contract for backup), Saric (nice role player, maybe best off bench) and a Miami first a few years down the line. Tough to get someone good with that offering... They may end up in the nightmare situation of being a treadmill team like the Hawks were for a decade.

« Reply #1180 on: November 10, 2018, 10:31:08 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Philly is now the 3rd seed in the East (they are tied with Indy, but beat them so have the tiebreaker).  They could also pretty easily win their next 12 games as the best teams they play are Memphis, Utah, and New Orleans (they have both Memphis games in that stretch and Utah and NO visit Philly).  December is much more difficult for them.  I figure they probably go 10-2 before they visit Toronto on December 5th, which would make them 18-7 at that point, which should give them a pretty nice cushion on the 3 seed (both Indy and Boston have more difficult schedule stretches).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1181 on: November 10, 2018, 10:39:44 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Yea I think this is a really underrated part of scheduling and records that people don't think about enough. It is easy to think that because teams all play basically the same games if they are in the same conference the schedules are the same but they really are not. If you look around the league right now teams like sac, magic, etc are all trying like heck to win. This was the case last year when teams like the Knicks, Lakers and Magic all got off to good starts. By the end of the year a lot of these teams are terrible and in extreme cases, not even playing their best young guys anymore. The 76ers were incredibly fortunate to play something like 20 of their last 25 games against lottery teams last year and it pumped up their win total by about 4 or 5 over what it would have been with a balanced schedule.
Were they incredibly fortunate to have by far the toughest 1st half schedule?  Personally I'd much prefer to have a more balanced schedule than what they had last season. 

« Reply #1182 on: November 10, 2018, 11:01:44 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
FULTZ SHOOTING FORM UPDATE:

https://twitter.com/Dcorrigan50/status/1061072559683366912

has a 43 TS% while being left wide open at all times. He hasn't shot a 3 in 6 games.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 11:10:21 AM by CelticsElite »

« Reply #1183 on: November 10, 2018, 11:05:11 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Were they incredibly fortunate to have by far the toughest 1st half schedule?  Personally I'd much prefer to have a more balanced schedule than what they had last season.

Kind of surprised you don't get this tazz. If the bad teams were the same badness throughout the season then, yea, sure you can make an argument. However, the bad teams are actually trying to win in the beginning of the season and are trying to lose at the end of the season. So obviously you are fortunate to play them at times they are trying to lose. The good teams are trying to win throughout the entire year (except maybe the one or two last games when their seeding is locked). It's fairly simple concept and something their own fans routinely admit....

« Reply #1184 on: November 10, 2018, 11:10:38 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Philly is now the 3rd seed in the East (they are tied with Indy, but beat them so have the tiebreaker).  They could also pretty easily win their next 12 games as the best teams they play are Memphis, Utah, and New Orleans (they have both Memphis games in that stretch and Utah and NO visit Philly).  December is much more difficult for them.  I figure they probably go 10-2 before they visit Toronto on December 5th, which would make them 18-7 at that point, which should give them a pretty nice cushion on the 3 seed (both Indy and Boston have more difficult schedule stretches).

Men they won in overtime at home against Charlotte by 1 point after sending it to overtime on a pretty questionable call. I do give them credit for the win against the pacers, which was their best performance of the year.

I'm also a bit perplexed you say they could easily win their next 12 games when they are currently 1-5 on the road and about to go play 4 out of 5 games on the road in 8 nights. Was that serious?