Author Topic: WWE  (Read 164520 times)

Re: WWE
« Reply #195 on: March 04, 2014, 11:53:26 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Nothing has slowed down 'the Yes Movement' quite like CM Punk's departure, and nothing could bring it to more of a halt than his return.

« Reply #196 on: March 04, 2014, 12:06:57 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Nothing has slowed down 'the Yes Movement' quite like CM Punk's departure, and nothing could bring it to more of a halt than his return.

Doubt it.

The IWC and the "after PPV fans" are rooting for both guys. Unless they will feud again against each other (which will be epic seeming as DB is bigger now than before), I dont think it will slow down Bryan, there's just going to be two big faces.

SummerSlam proved it. Punk and Bryan are in a big hyped match and both of them got their pops.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #197 on: March 04, 2014, 12:18:04 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
When Punk was with the company, but the spotlight was off him D-Bry was red hot.

I hated the Rumble, but at the end - intentionally or not - the spotlight shined bright on him and his character alone.

Punk leaving took it off Bryan a little, and his return would bring all fan's interest to him.

« Reply #198 on: March 04, 2014, 12:48:35 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
So the rumored CM Punk return didn't happen, much to the disappointment of that tremendous crowd.

I was pumped, and felt cheated when he didn't show up. Good job, WWE.

This is where I reveal myself to be a true nerd -

But this whole Punk think has given me a new appreciation for John Cena as a wrestler/employee. Details haven't come out, but it certainly seems like Punk didn't like where things were heading for his character and he decided to take his ball and go home. His dispute lies with HHH, who has a history of backstage politicking which questionably led to a few burials.

Cena? He's the biggest name going, and the only thing he does is do what's asked of him - Does the job when he should do the job, wins when he needs to win. Half the crowds vehemently boo'ng him and he doesn't ask for a change. Just keeps his head down and does his job

This whole thing makes me dislike Punk as a person even more (he always came off kind of selfish to me).

Here’s a guy that’s been given so many great opportunities.  Here we have a guy who has had a longer single championship reign than anybody in the modern era other than Hulk Hogan at 434 days.  That’s longer than Cena, Shawn Michaels, The Undertaker, The Rock, Stone Cold, Bret Hart, etc.  And he probably had a great chance of ending up Top 5  in the modern era for combined reigns had he stuck around.

Here’s a guy that has probably headlined more pay per views over the last few years other than Cena.  He’s headlined over a dozen pay per views and got to face the legends like The Rock, The Undertaker, as well as John Cena.  How many guys on the current roster have faced both The Rock and The Undertaker?

Here’s a guy that’s been given so much, but still not happy because he’s not headlining WrestleMania and because he doesn’t have the biggest spotlight on him.  It’s like if Tim Duncan got mad that somebody was always more popular than him, from Shaq to Kobe to LeBron, even though he was still always one of the most respected and best players in the game and was always working hard.  Just face it, the Finals you headlined didn’t draw the ratings the other guys did.  And even though we put you in a lot of national TV games, we’re sorry  that we feature the Heat and Lakers more than you, but they just pull better ratings.

There’s nothing wrong with being the Macho Man to John Cena’s Hulk Hogan, but he can’t take it.  Unless this all really is just a work, which some people think it is (though maybe that theory took a little bit of a blow when he didn't show up on Raw last night...)

I dont know the REAL story, but from what I've read, I have to disagree.

Punk did not leave because he doesnt have the main spotlight, well, part of the reason is that.

From what I've read, he left because he got fed up having part timers (started with the Rock) being gone for years, comes back, and jumps over the main event scene. I think the Royal Rumble was the last straw.

As much as people hate it, everyone is behind Bryan. And everyone wants to see DB at WrestleMania, and from what I've read, Punk is behind that. Why not? The people want to see it. But they are force feeding us Batista and Orton. Batista, who have been gone for four years, all of a sudden gets main event spot at the biggest show of the year. Pretty much the exact same thing as the Rock last year.

Is it unprofessional? Sure. But his name is Punk for all things, and I think this is some sort of a protest not just for himself, but for the hardworking men in that locker room that has been there all the time, that deserves the spot even more than part timers. And that includes him, banged up, broken ribs and messed up knees and all and he still shows up, gives an awesome match.

I don't blame him from walking out one bit. Shoot or work.

And as for Cena. I respect what he does, the IWC does too. He gets booed because his character is stale. And he doest ask for change because despite facing Bray Wyatt in WrestleMania, he and every WWE watchers know that at some point he'll be back in the top.

He doesnt have to worry about that spot, it's a matter of time. Compare to the guys like Ziggler, Bryan and slowly building, Cesaro, who paid dues, worked as hard, fans loved but WWE keeps ignoring because "they dont sell T-Shirts". Business side, I understand, but Creative wise, isn't that their fault that they couldnt build a much interesting storyline for these guys so people would be more hooked up on them than they already are?

Oh I agree with what you’re saying  about Cena, the direction, and the part timers (though I think it’s wrong of him to get mad about The Rock because he’s just so over and put in a lot of work in the past, Lesnar and Batista he can get mad about though), and we don't know the real story, etc.

To me, part of it is the overall direction of the company, and part of it is his role.

Personally, I think it’s a lot more to do with his role, than the direction.  I wouldn’t even be surprised if he was using the whole direction thing just as an excuse to make it seem like he’s not just looking out for himself.

He’s complained about not being the main event at WrestleMania before, he said he didn’t want to face Undertaker at WM29 (because he couldn't win, and some believe because it wasn't the main event).  (Though granted if you ask me for hard sources on this stuff, I’ll probably come up blank.)  He’s just a guy that always complained, even before the current wave of part timers were coming back to wrestle.

He complained about The Rock hosting WM27, before he was even wrestling part time again.  That comes off as bitter and selfish to me.  CM Punk might know how to wrestle and work a mic, but has no clue how to run a wrestling business.  Wrestling is 100% about the buy rates, the gates, and the merchandise sales.  Why doesn't he go back to ROH?  When you get to the big stage, you need to understand it’s a business.  If you sell, you’ll be heavily featured and in the main events, if you don’t you won’t get pushed as much and they’ll try to bring in somebody who does sell.

Featuring part time talent and bringing in outsiders is nothing new, it’s been happening in pro wrestling from the beginning of the modern era.  From Mr. T to Big John Studd to Zeus to Hulk Hogan wrestling only PPVs, to the Ultimate Warrior to NFL players to guys switching promotions and going right into the main events to Vince McMahon to Mike Tyson to Floyd Mayweather, etc.  If Punk doesn't like it, he’s either an idiot or a jerk, because this has been going on in wrestling from the beginning.

You know he wouldn't be protesting if he was facing Batista or Lesnar in the main event.  That tells me it’s more about his role than the direction of the company.

But still, Orton vs Batista ???  Ok maybe I’d be frustrated too lol.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #199 on: March 04, 2014, 12:58:58 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
When Punk was with the company, but the spotlight was off him D-Bry was red hot.

I hated the Rumble, but at the end - intentionally or not - the spotlight shined bright on him and his character alone.

Punk leaving took it off Bryan a little, and his return would bring all fan's interest to him.

Bryan not being in the Rumble at all put it at a fever pitch. And then it got even more rad when everyone read that Punk left because they we're burying Bryan (of course that's not the only reason).

As a reply to bdm80 (the convo is too long to quote).

Lesnar is actually one part timer everyone got behind. Because he did not get to the main event picture, heck, he's not even in the title contention still and he's been back about a year now.

As to what I read, he was upset with The Rock, especially dropping the title to a part timer while he was doing his work as the best heel in the company (along with Heyman).

Then he's upset at Batista because (again according to the rumors) he was slated to win the Rumble but gave it to Batista instead.

Is it selfish? To a degree but I get where he's at. It's not just really about him. It's about the promotion giving the main event spots to people who dont deserve the spots. If he's doing it just for himself, he could have easily just ran through till July when his contract expires, get  that big WM30 paycheck and just dont resign. It doesnt make sense to lose that much money when you're gone in about 4 months anyway.

The fact that he walked out after the Rumble, completely saying kick rocks to everything is a message. A message that says he's done with the direction the company is headed and would absolutely not care of the consequences. Either for selfish reasons or for the rest of the locker room, I applaud what he did. As a fan, I would not want to see Orton and Batista at the main event at 'Mania. But WWE is shoving it in our throats because they think it will work. They had weeks to realize that people (including the marks) want DB in there but they still wouldn't do it. People want to see HHH - Punk but they are pushing a Kane feud instead. The Tag division is a joke. The US and IC titles are jokes. And they are more focused on the Total Divas than developing them in the ring and on their TV program. That's WWE these days. No wonder Punk got fed up.

« Reply #200 on: March 06, 2014, 07:57:25 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Which belt is supposed to carry more cachet, the IC or the US?  And is the the old WCW belt a bigger deal than the WWE championship?

« Reply #201 on: March 06, 2014, 08:07:21 PM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
Which belt is supposed to carry more cachet, the IC or the US?  And is the the old WCW belt a bigger deal than the WWE championship?

The IC belt is bigger (hell Ambrose never bothers to defend the US belt). the WWE Belt and the old WCW belt have been combined although Orton still carries both of them ( i think they will separate them again).  Before that though, the WWE belt was the real Champ. 

« Reply #202 on: March 06, 2014, 08:41:43 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

I think history tells us that it's supposed to be the IC.

IC is the measuring stick to see if a talent is "Main Event ready".

Never saw that in the US Title, even in the WCW days.

But the way WWE are booking both titles, both are just golden belts with no value.

« Reply #203 on: April 05, 2014, 07:42:34 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
So, who's watching Wrestlemania XXX.

Honestly, this probably the least excited ive been in a WM, and I followed it religiously since XVII. They fid not build up the Taker - Brock feud enough IMO to garner interest. The secndary belts are not even gping to be defended. And were going to be stuck with possibly a 40 minute Battle Royal for nothing (well, its to honor Andre but still). 

I hope the Tag Team guys steal the show. Would like AJ Lee to retain. But really the only thing im pumped is the Bryan - Aitch match. That was perfectly built amd while it could be very predictable, im intere sted in how it goes along. But the other matches, including the Main Event, eh...

But atleast im not paying 60 bucks for it thanks to thr Network.

Anyone here excited about it, or feel the same way is I am?

« Reply #204 on: April 05, 2014, 07:52:34 PM »

fitzhickey

So, who's watching Wrestlemania XXX.

Honestly, this probably the least excited ive been in a WM, and I followed it religiously since XVII. They fid not build up the Taker - Brock feud enough IMO to garner interest. The secndary belts are not even gping to be defended. And were going to be stuck with possibly a 40 minute Battle Royal for nothing (well, its to honor Andre but still). 

I hope the Tag Team guys steal the show. Would like AJ Lee to retain. But really the only thing im pumped is the Bryan - Aitch match. That was perfectly built amd while it could be very predictable, im intere sted in how it goes along. But the other matches, including the Main Event, eh...

But atleast im not paying 60 bucks for it thanks to thr Network.

Anyone here excited about it, or feel the same way is I am?
I always get excited about Wrestlemania, but I'm not as pumped for this one as previous ones. I'm not as into it as my brother, but I still like to watch it on and off

« Reply #205 on: April 06, 2014, 06:48:18 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
The Tag Team championship four way dance is awesome. What a start!

« Reply #206 on: April 06, 2014, 07:12:13 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Glass shatters...

STEVE AUSTIN is in the building, with Hogan. Boy, this is a moment.

« Reply #207 on: April 06, 2014, 07:16:29 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Rock is also in tje building!

Hogan, Rock and Hogan at the same ring... Wish they fight... But hey, thats how you pump tje show!

« Reply #208 on: April 06, 2014, 08:08:39 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Perhaps the most predictable match of the night, was actually very good. The end sequence was even better. Makes the rest of the night more "interesting".

« Reply #209 on: April 06, 2014, 08:16:25 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Everyone knew the Shield would win but, man they dominated that entire match.