Author Topic: Clippers vets upset with Leonard and front office  (Read 4713 times)

Clippers vets upset with Leonard and front office
« on: October 16, 2020, 05:09:52 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Clippers vets (Beverly, Lou Wiliams and Harrell) were reported not happy the way Leonard was treated with his “load management”.. just saw this on yahoo..saying he went home many a times to San Diego, miss flights, etc.. if I was a player, I would be upset also..probably one reason why Doc bolted
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Re: Clippers vets upset with Leonard and front office
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 05:22:32 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Kawhi was always hard to read...will probably remain that way by choice, too.

I'd guess that his HOF ticket is already punched - right?

His star will NEVER be a bright as LeBron's but does he even care? I'd guess not.

Some things that make others tick may not do the same for someone else.

Kawhi's main thing is that he is HOME.

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 06:28:02 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Clippers vets (Beverly, Lou Wiliams and Harrell) were reported not happy the way Leonard was treated with his “load management”.. just saw this on yahoo..saying he went home many a times to San Diego, miss flights, etc.. if I was a player, I would be upset also..probably one reason why Doc bolted

They definitely didn't seem like a happy team. Then again Lou Will and Harrell went MIA in the playoffs, they should look closer to home first.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 06:43:35 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Bet Kawhi was more upset when none of those 3 showed up for the playoffs. Or when Lou Will compromised the whole league to go to a strip club. Or when Pat Beverley was focusing more on talking smack than playing defence. Or when Montrezl Harrell was being out-muscled by a 21 year-old guard from Slovenia.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2020, 06:57:51 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Bet Kawhi was more upset when none of those 3 showed up for the playoffs. Or when Lou Will compromised the whole league to go to a strip club. Or when Pat Beverley was focusing more on talking smack than playing defence. Or when Montrezl Harrell was being out-muscled by a 21 year-old guard from Slovenia.

which came first the chicken or the egg?

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2020, 07:06:32 PM »

Online mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 610
Kawhi is the quietest drama queen ever....he doesn’t make a peep but noise and disturbance follow in his wake

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2020, 07:11:34 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I don't think the complete and utter failure of the Clippers role players and coaching was a manifestation of them having a tantrum about the way Kawhi manages his season. If it was then that's a huge [dang]ation of Doc "players coach" Rivers.

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2020, 09:10:56 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

I don't think the complete and utter failure of the Clippers role players and coaching was a manifestation of them having a tantrum about the way Kawhi manages his season. If it was then that's a huge [dang]ation of Doc "players coach" Rivers.

some day the real story may be revealed ...

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2020, 10:26:51 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
I’d still take Kawhi over those 3 lol

And with how taxing the season is, load management is actually not a bad idea. It’s not like Kawhi is the only one whose load gets managed. Lebron takes a mid season break too right?

But I guess it’s different for everyone, especially between coaches and players. Doc probably recognized he needed Kawhi healthy and ready to go in the playoffs. Yknow, where it counted.

- LilRip

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2020, 07:03:19 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
A couple weeks ago I read that the Clips vets were even more upset at George's preferential treatment.  Leonard and George got quite a bit of preferential treatment and while some players thought Leonard deserved his, many did not think that George deserved the same treatment.  I also saw that unnamed players think they are actually better players than George, so they were very unhappy with him receiving so many perks.  Marcus Morris is the player that I immediately thought of but I haven't seen him named anywhere yet.

Personally, I don't see how a group can function optimally when there are two sets of rules for players, especially when one of the guys receiving benefits isn't performing as well as some players who are not receiving the same benefits.  Maybe it's fine with someone of Lebron's caliber, but there is only one Lebron.  I'm guessing that the Clippers had to agree to agree to to certain benefits with George and Kawhi before they agreed to join the team.

I really admire the Popovich/Tim Duncan and Spurs dynamic but I realize that's pretty old school and it's not the way it usually works.

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2020, 09:32:58 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
A couple weeks ago I read that the Clips vets were even more upset at George's preferential treatment.  Leonard and George got quite a bit of preferential treatment and while some players thought Leonard deserved his, many did not think that George deserved the same treatment.  I also saw that unnamed players think they are actually better players than George, so they were very unhappy with him receiving so many perks.  Marcus Morris is the player that I immediately thought of but I haven't seen him named anywhere yet.

Personally, I don't see how a group can function optimally when there are two sets of rules for players, especially when one of the guys receiving benefits isn't performing as well as some players who are not receiving the same benefits.  Maybe it's fine with someone of Lebron's caliber, but there is only one Lebron.  I'm guessing that the Clippers had to agree to agree to to certain benefits with George and Kawhi before they agreed to join the team.

I really admire the Popovich/Tim Duncan and Spurs dynamic but I realize that's pretty old school and it's not the way it usually works.

I don't really blame them about thinking that way with George. If we're being honest the guy has been overrated for a few years now. He's supposed to be an elite two-way player but especially in the last few playoffs he hasn't had an impact there. I'd even say Brown and Tatum have looked better than him this past season, along with many others.

Kawhi is a bit of a weird dude. Like, he's generally quiet and kind of like a "silent assassin", and is said to be humble. But like, it seems he did everything he could to force his way out of the Spurs, left the Raptors without a second thought even after winning a championship, and now in LA he continues to load manage a ton and get preferential treatment. Then came the Nuggets series and I think I read somewhere that he didn't want to guard Murray and so they put someone else on him while Murray of course when scorched earth.

I also wonder if maybe the other Clippers players were upset at how Kawhi literally had everything done to bring in George, including trade away some key contributors along with all those picks. Ultimately they were probably better off without trading for George but then Kawhi may not have come.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2020, 01:32:13 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

They definitely didn't seem like a happy team. Then again Lou Will and Harrell went MIA in the playoffs, they should look closer to home first.
Point of clarification, in the closeout game Beverly, Williams, and Harrell had 11 points in the 4th quarter in about 25 minutes, in 21 minutes George and Leonard didn't score a single point and were a combined 0 of 11.  Leonard and George were 2 of 7 for 5 points in 23 minutes in the 3rd quarter of that game.  So in the 2nd half of a closeout game, the two "stars" were 2 of 18 for 5 points in around 44 minutes (they were each -20 in a game they lost by 15).  That sort of production doesn't deserve special treatment. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2020, 01:46:19 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

This was why Raptors was such a good fit for him.  They didnt care what he did

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2020, 03:33:42 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

This was why Raptors was such a good fit for him.  They didnt care what he did

Probably why they decided to get a new coach.  Let's see how the "new sheriff in town" approach works out for them.

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2020, 06:15:58 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Point of clarification, in the closeout game Beverly, Williams, and Harrell had 11 points in the 4th quarter in about 25 minutes, in 21 minutes George and Leonard didn't score a single point and were a combined 0 of 11.  Leonard and George were 2 of 7 for 5 points in 23 minutes in the 3rd quarter of that game.  So in the 2nd half of a closeout game, the two "stars" were 2 of 18 for 5 points in around 44 minutes (they were each -20 in a game they lost by 15).  That sort of production doesn't deserve special treatment.
It had been a closeout game in the prior two games as well. Harrell scored 6 and 5 points in those games, Williams scored 4 and 14, and Beverley scored 10 and 2. Meanwhile Kawhi scored 36 and 25, and George scored 26 and 33.

So in the prior two closeout games the two stars had absolutely lit it up, meanwhile two 6MOTY winners failed to combine for more than 10 points in one game and more than 19 in the next. If Lou Williams and Harrell even score half of their season averages in game 5 the Clippers win 4-1