Author Topic: Dune  (Read 3136 times)

Dune
« on: October 28, 2021, 04:48:58 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm not that familiar with the source material.  I read the book and watched the original movie, but that was decades ago.  As I recall, I thought the book was cool, but not something that I craved more of.

I watched the movie on HBO Max last night, and my first impression was, this is a movie that needs to be experienced on the big screen.  It's world-making and mythology is really spectacular.  This is really good sci fi.  It's long, but that length allows for a deliberate pace and some time to breath in between action scenes.

I was impressed, and was surprised the movie hasn't gotten more hype.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Dune
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2021, 05:23:26 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Thanks for giving ur review.. I been wanting to watch but didn’t know if it’s worth it to sit there for over 2 hours
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2021, 05:42:11 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1481
It has def been on my radar.  I saw the 1984 David Lynch version in my teens and read the book as well.
Good to know that it is worth it to see it.  I was thinking of seeing it in the theatre, masked up and all.
I did it for the James Bond film, might as well do it for Dune too.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 05:48:39 PM by blink »

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2021, 10:29:36 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I never read the book or saw any of the prior movies/shows and I found the movie awesome.  I did know it was only half of the story going in though (and had read up on some of the mythology - spoiler free - so I wasn't lost).  I think I would have been a bit mad if I didn't know that and it ended without finishing the story (and it is clear it doesn't finish when it ends).  Overall it was quite enjoyable and the graphics are awesome.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2021, 10:49:08 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I never read the book or saw any of the prior movies/shows and I found the movie awesome.  I did know it was only half of the story going in though (and had read up on some of the mythology - spoiler free - so I wasn't lost).  I think I would have been a bit mad if I didn't know that and it ended without finishing the story (and it is clear it doesn't finish when it ends).  Overall it was quite enjoyable and the graphics are awesome.

Yeah, it is Dune Part 1.  Luckily the sequel has been green lit.

This is the first movie in a long time that I’ve considered to be really excellent.  It won’t b for everyone, but I felt completely immersed.  After 2.5 hours, I was ready for another 2.5 more. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2021, 11:59:03 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1807

This is the first movie in a long time that I’ve considered to be really excellent.  It won’t b for everyone, but I felt completely immersed.  After 2.5 hours, I was ready for another 2.5 more.

Just finished watching, and enjoyed it very much.  If you are into sci fi and action you should like it.  I am ready for Part 2. 
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2021, 12:46:59 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Yes i watched it at AMC tonight and I was very disappointed that it ended after 2.5 hours, I could have gone on for longer. Villeneuve did an awesome job capturing the feel of the novels and the ensemble cast was great.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2021, 04:03:54 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
I really want to see it. Heard it's amazing in Imax, so I hope to take the trip sometime next week.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2021, 04:15:20 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2485
Liked it a lot. Captured the dark vibe of the books well.

Not surprised considering how fantastic Blade Runner 2049 was. Such a shame that didn't do better financially.

Agree the film gave the scenes and actors room to breathe. It made the psychic stuff, the intrigue, and the odd fighting styles a lot easier to digest.

World building is key in an epic, and Villaneueve nailed that. I hope they adapt some of the other books as well, it is a strange and winding, but fascinating story.

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2021, 05:06:11 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
With regards to hype there was quite a big push over here, although it only saw theatre release about a day after it wound up on streaming services, so that may have dampened it a bit as well.

My take: It looks incredible gorgeous and has had a lot of the nuances of the book stripped away - but a large part of that is because there are many parts about Dune that may be impossible to really depict on film in an interesting way, most of which have little to do with the plot but rather the supertext (as opposed to subtext).

I'm hesitant to talk more about it because I realise some of it may be considered spoilers for folks who haven't read the book(s), and because we will have to wait two years for part two, so I'll just say that in very broad terms it's a story about how someone's personal triumph can be decidedly bad for the universe. This feels like much more of a standard "reluctant hero" journey so far.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2021, 08:12:15 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I've read the books, seen the all the movies all renditions and I like every one of them.  It was a great movie

I think the Timothy Chalamet is a great actor. He weighs less than 150 lbs.He is perfect for a boy Paul but I doubt he could beat anyone in a knife fight and he looks like he has an eating disorder.  Size matters in physical combat and although you don't want to be obese you also do not want to be thrown down by the slightest budge.  That is a very minor complaint and he has time to add a little muscle between movies.

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2021, 10:03:39 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436

Just finished the movie and you Hit the nail on the head, Roy. My exact sentiments after it ended. So refreshing...
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2021, 11:02:02 PM »

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Saw the very first film back in the day...awful, I don't care about The Spice.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2021, 11:44:39 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Saw the very first film back in the day...awful, I don't care about The Spice.
You don't have to, to enjoy this version of Dune. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2021, 04:19:12 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I'm excited that Villeneuve said he's hoping it will end up being a trilogy. He really nailed the feel of the worldbuilding. Watching the Sardaukar slowly and silently descend from the sky brought me chills.

Chalamee was excellent, but also a shoutout to Oscar Isaac as Duke Leto and Rebecca Ferguson as Lady Jessica, Paul's mother...I've been a huge fan of hers since her performance in The White Queen, the British series about the Wars of the Roses.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D