Author Topic: It's Poppin' Off: [Woj] Minnesota trades Saric and #11 to PHO for #6  (Read 3842 times)

Re: It's Poppin' Off: [Woj] Minnesota trades Saric and #11 to PHO for #6
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2019, 06:33:05 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
Minny never fails to floor me with their stupidity. The Wiggins contract, the way they handled the Jimmy Butler situation - and now they’re using arguably the best asset they got in the Butler trade to move up 6 slots in order to draft a guy (Garland) who might be gone by then.

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2019, 06:34:23 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Minny never fails to floor me with their stupidity. The Wiggins contract, the way they handled the Jimmy Butler situation - and now they’re using arguably the best asset they got in the Butler trade to move up 6 slots in order to draft a guy (Garland) who might be gone by then.

Yeah this is a bad trade for Minny. The difference between #11 and #6 likely isn't big enough to give up Saric

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2019, 06:37:03 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Wish Danny would do something! If we just make those 3 picks I'm gonna puke!!!

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2019, 06:38:03 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Darn. Was hoping for Ainge to do a trade for Saric to replace Morris' position but we couldn't offer what Minny got.

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2019, 06:40:34 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Yeah this is a bad trade for Minny. The difference between #11 and #6 likely isn't big enough to give up Saric
Depends what their board looks like

Most thought the Fultz Tatum gap was bigger than the value of the Kings pick but Ainge obviously felt differently

I’m guessing Minny thinks Garland is a tier above the guys at 11
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2019, 06:41:32 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
Danny’s never been reactionary and I don’t expect him to be reactionary here.

Expecting no major moves, possibly a trade out or a small trade up into the teens
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2019, 06:51:11 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 121
Woj's next tweet said:

Minnesota president Gersson Rosas tried to get to No. 4, No. 5 and finally moved up to No. 6.

...which leads me to believe #5 might be tough to get?

Indeed, although it could be as simple as how you value Saric.

To me, personally, that would be not very highly.  I see him as an average starter at best, very good 6th man at worst.  I don't see much upside in him either.

I would honestly see Saric as having value about on par with Marcus Smart.  Both guys are pretty much 'decent starter / good 6th man' caliber guys with limited upside, but who can impact a team if put in the right situation.

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2019, 06:52:37 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
Woj's next tweet said:

Minnesota president Gersson Rosas tried to get to No. 4, No. 5 and finally moved up to No. 6.

To me, personally, that would be not very highly.  I see him as an average starter at best, very good 6th man at worst.  I don't see much upside in him either.

I would honestly see Saric as having value about on par with Marcus Smart.  Both guys are pretty much 'decent starter / good 6th man' caliber guys with limited upside, but who can impact a team if put in the right situation.
I suppose 1 difference is Marcus is already on a. Decent value contract while Saric hits FA next season.

For whatever it’s worth, I would not have traded Smart + 14 for #6

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2019, 07:17:52 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 121
Woj's next tweet said:

I suppose 1 difference is Marcus is already on a. Decent value contract while Saric hits FA next season.

For whatever it’s worth, I would not have traded Smart + 14 for #6

I can't really say to be honest, as I don't really know this draft that well.

I initially expected us to be making a splash for AD and contending, so didnt really bother keeping track of the draft throughout the year...joke is on me haha

That said, I'm not especially high on Smart - not nearly as much as some Cetics fans at least. I feel Smart is just a tad too emotionally driven to the point where he can be a excessively reckless and unpredictable.

I can't deny his ability to impact win games with his energy and motor, but I feel he also loses Boston just as many games with knuckelead end of game decisions.  I also feel he struggles at PG due to limited ball handling ability and poor decision making - I like him better playing off the ball.

I personally prefer Rozier as a long term solution a PG.

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2019, 06:31:19 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
T'Wolves picked Culver which is a win to me and well worth the trade. A lot of draft experts saying he'll be better than Barrett.

Suns had a horrible night imo. No idea what their strategy is..

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2019, 08:31:55 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
T'Wolves picked Culver which is a win to me and well worth the trade. A lot of draft experts saying he'll be better than Barrett.

Agree completely....Culver will be worth it!.  I thought he should have been picked 4th...

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2019, 09:15:27 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Agree completely....Culver will be worth it!.  I thought he should have been picked 4th...

Only saw him in NCAA championship game, where he really struggled.

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2019, 09:18:22 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

His last 3 tournament games where really quite bad - couldn't buy a bucket to save his life. His ability to get to the line was impressive though
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2019, 09:19:06 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

Yeah Hunter was better in that game.  It'll be interesting to see...

I think Culver has an extra gear he hasn't really been able to use yet.  I'm expecting something Brandon Roy-like...

...which reminds me....who was Billup's player comps for Langford and G. Williams?  I missed that...