Author Topic: How good will Tatum be next year?  (Read 3617 times)

Re: How good will Tatum be next year?
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2019, 12:03:47 PM »

Offline chiken

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 15
I imagine he will pick up from where he left off in 2018 playoffs...

The kid did his thing and the following year he was told to get back in his place...  Now folks are claiming that he took a "step" back when the truth of the matter is he was pushed back... (because The whole green world was bent on appeasing the guy who never wanted to be here in the first place)

I believe now we can truly unlock the Jays...

And this is perfect for BS - this is what he was brought in here for..  Teaching

Tatum will be a stud this year...

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2019, 12:04:41 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
If he gets to 20 ppg on league average efficiency that'll be huge.

I don't expect that though.

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2019, 12:11:18 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
I hope he's as good as people think he is.

I feel like the only true hope remaining with regard to the short-term is that 1 or both Jays far exceeds expectations. One becomes a superstar in the next 2-3 years or C’s have another extended drought. 

12 months ago we were talking about 5-10 years of contention. 

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2019, 12:14:07 PM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
Good enough for fans to not blame Ainge for screwing up the team

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2019, 04:03:32 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

He needs to cut down his steady diet if contested, off the dribble, fade-away jumpers though. Just an absolutely horrible shot he’s not even that good at making but loves taking
- LilRip

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2019, 11:22:48 AM »

Offline chiken

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 15

He needs to cut down his steady diet if contested, off the dribble, fade-away jumpers though. Just an absolutely horrible shot he’s not even that good at making but loves taking

I honestly think he will grow out of that...  It won't happen early on, but a few "L's" after those shots will really hit home... (He has a team that is depending on him to be better..  That pressure alone will change him)

He's actually a pretty Cerebral player who obviously is doing everything in his power to be one of the great ones..  It'll happen.  We just have to be patient.

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2019, 11:28:22 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307

He made a decent % of them as a rookie, and I think he fell in love with the shot since he had some success with it.

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2019, 11:39:48 AM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Tatum should easily be able to average 20+ppg this year with the increased volume of shots available with Al and Kyrie gone. Think of an improved version of Tatum in the 2018 playoffs.

I think the big question mark is what Hayward is going to bring and how he is going to impact things.

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2019, 11:47:10 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I'm really wondering how Tatum, Brown, and Hayward are going to coexist. Seems they're going to keep running into one another trying to handle and create in the same space; hopefully I am wrong about this, or maybe Hayward can re-establish his role as the sixth man. I wish we could use a few assets to turn Brown and Hayward into a good young center and PG.

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2019, 11:47:48 AM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 82

He needs to learn how to finish at the rim.  I had no faith in him last year after he got by his man, but had another defender to contend with.  Missed layups, hesitation that led to getting blocked at the rim, just really, really weak at finishing unless he dunked it.

I don't know whether he needs added strength, weight, or just confidence.  But to make an All-Star team this is his #1 area of growth.

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2019, 12:05:09 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
I'm just waiting for the Memphis pick to roll over until 2021 when we land the top pick and draft Jalen Green.
By then the 2 J's will be All-Stars and the 3rd J will be the next great thing.

this link is crazy long...but if you have the time...it's his junior year highlights. He'll be senior next year. Not sure if he's eligible for reclassification into 2020 draft thogh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOpg--X7Z3s

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2019, 12:08:14 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I'm just waiting for the Memphis pick to roll over until 2021 when we land the top pick and draft Jalen Green.

this link is crazy long...but if you have the time...it's his junior year highlights. He'll be senior next year. Not sure if he's eligible for reclassification into 2020 draft thogh.

He and Anthony Edwards are my two fave high school players at the moment
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2019, 12:08:48 PM »

Offline Pvictor11

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 62

Talk about really looking in the future...
Brazilian Celtic Fan!

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2019, 12:12:19 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I'm really wondering how Tatum, Brown, and Hayward are going to coexist. Seems they're going to keep running into one another trying to handle and create in the same space; hopefully I am wrong about this, or maybe Hayward can re-establish his role as the sixth man. I wish we could use a few assets to turn Brown and Hayward into a good young center and PG.

Hayward is much more of a point forward than those two. Every play should start with the ball in his hands, and he can get the other guys good open looks.

The bad shots come when the play moves to Tatum first, and he overdribbles and/or takes a hero shot.

Brown is much more content to move to open spots and/or cut to the basket, so I don't think he's an issue.

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2019, 12:12:43 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I am expecting better counting numbers for both Brown and Tatum. I can easily see both jumping into the 18-20 PPG area with maybe a slight uptick in their rebounds and assists.

Here is the thing though, if they both do it with as good or better efficiency will be the key. Also, will they add more offensive weapons, the way Jaylen added his turn around, fade back, knee kick 15-16 foot jump shot last year.

I really want Tatum to fix his move at the three point line to create space for a shot. Rather than shaking the close out with a two dribbles step up move for a very long two pointer, I want to see a two dribbles side step to take the three pointer. I also need to see more muscle on Tatum and a much better ability to finish through contact at the rim, something else Brown improved on tremendously last year.

And both need to bring it defensively. Both player's defense fell off last regular season. While Brown reverted back to a defensive bulldog during the playoffs, Tatum's defense and effort on that end seemed indifferent and continued through the playoffs.

I am expecting the increase in stats but for me, I will see if both player's have taken a developmental jump through all the little other things. Take for instance, Brown's shots in the playoffs. He took not one 16-23 foot 2 point shots in the playoffs. That was a culmination of his slowly eliminating that shot during the season. That is intelligent and that is real development. It's stuff like that that I want to see.