Author Topic: Doc mentioned how C's need a backup pg on WEEI today  (Read 18463 times)

Re: Doc mentioned how C's need a backup pg on WEEI today
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2013, 04:23:43 PM »

Offline 33_Larry Legend_33

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 87
Well, Doc got rid of Darko, and we could have used him...stupid move.

Did Doc get rid of him, or was Darko tired of waiting his turn, and quit on the team?  Because I think that is more likely.

Well, from what I could read, it appears Doc "players coach" Rivers didn't give him a fair shot, and it also sounded like Darko had a family matter that was heavy on his heart.  But I don't know...  What I do know is we could use him, and I also recognize Barbosa isn't a true PG - but he could help us.  Once you get in Doc's doghouse, it seems like you get stuck there or given up on...and that's sad.

« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2013, 04:24:55 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Did Doc get rid of him, or was Darko tired of waiting his turn, and quit on the team?  Because I think that is more likely.

Well, from what I could read, it appears Doc "players coach" Rivers didn't give him a fair shot, and it also sounded like Darko had a family matter that was heavy on his heart.  But I don't know...  What I do know is we could use him, and I also recognize Barbosa isn't a true PG - but he could help us.  Once you get in Doc's doghouse, it seems like you get stuck there or given up on...and that's sad.

A fair shot?  He had to earn his minutes, or wait his turn.  Had he waited another couple of weeks he would have been starting, when Wilcox went down. 

« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2013, 04:27:32 PM »

• Jaylen Brown

A fair shot?  He had to earn his minutes, or wait his turn.  Had he waited another couple of weeks he would have been starting, when Wilcox went down.

People aren't the most clear headed when they're a LONG way from "home" and have a family member with something going on...  I'm not going to defend Darko's actions because I don't know what was going on inside his head and heart. 

But if Darko was made some promises here before signing (and I believe when he, Danny and Doc were in a room together - I bet certain things were said) and Doc didn't give him a fair shot (plus the guy got injured on his hand, if I recall) - it takes time.  Afterall, isn't Danny's mantra "PATIENCE"??

« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2013, 04:32:40 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

People aren't the most clear headed when they're a LONG way from "home" and have a family member with something going on...  I'm not going to defend Darko's actions because I don't know what was going on inside his head and heart. 

But if Darko was made some promises here before signing (and I believe when he, Danny and Doc were in a room together - I bet certain things were said) and Doc didn't give him a fair shot (plus the guy got injured on his hand, if I recall) - it takes time.  Afterall, isn't Danny's mantra "PATIENCE"??

I don't mean to accuse Darko of anything.  Maybe it was a legitimate family emergency.  But we can't blame Doc for Darko leaving.  That is life at the end of the bench.  You have to wait your turn and earn your minutes. 

edit: and I am not sure where you got the idea Darko was made promises before he signed here.  Was that reported?  Because all of the stories I read had Doc telling him that he is going to have to wait his turn, but his time will come. 

« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2013, 04:35:30 PM »

• Jaylen Brown

I don't mean to accuse Darko of anything.  Maybe it was a legitimate family emergency.  But we can't blame Doc for Darko leaving.  That is life at the end of the bench.  You have to wait your turn and earn your minutes.

...or like Brandon Bass, have your minutes and role screwed with on a daily basis. 

...or like Courtney Lee, have no idea what your role is.

...or like Jason Terry, be put in as the starter, when it's clear his best role is 6th man.

Sorry, I won't give Doc a free pass...  I think he's mishandling this team this season, and what NBA players want most is to know their role so they can value it.  Darko should have been given a bigger shot.  He's WAY better than the useless Jason Collins...  But I digress...

« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2013, 04:37:22 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

...or like Brandon Bass, have your minutes and role screwed with on a daily basis. 

...or like Courtney Lee, have no idea what your role is.

...or like Jason Terry, be put in as the starter, when it's clear his best role is 6th man.

Sorry, I won't give Doc a free pass...  I think he's mishandling this team this season, and what NBA players want most is to know their role so they can value it.  Darko should have been given a bigger shot.  He's WAY better than the useless Jason Collins...  But I digress...

Darko was given a chance in the preseason.  He didn't look good, then he got hurt.  He was given a shot when he came back, looked out of shape, and didnt know the rotations.  He left the team a couple weeks later.

« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2013, 04:41:21 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Darko wasn't performing up to his abilities in practice and in regular season action because of personal issues weighing on him. He was released to attend to those personal issues that he says is a sick family member back in Serbia. To date, there have been zero reports of him signing a contract in Europe or in the NBA or even a rumor of such.

He left to attend personal matters and given the lack of news regarding Darko, I gotta think that he is doing just that. Darko didn't leave because of Doc. I find that kind of ridiculous.

« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2013, 04:51:11 PM »

• Jaylen Brown
Darko wasn't performing up to his abilities in practice and in regular season action because of personal issues weighing on him. He was released to attend to those personal issues that he says is a sick family member back in Serbia. To date, there have been zero reports of him signing a contract in Europe or in the NBA or even a rumor of such.

He left to attend personal matters and given the lack of news regarding Darko, I gotta think that he is doing just that. Darko didn't leave because of Doc. I find that kind of ridiculous.

Until we can get inside Darko's head, it's all speculation.  Who knows why he left - maybe a combination of reasons, which COULD have been partly Doc, but he took the high road and said nothing.  I'm not putting this all on Doc - the truth is we don't know, and nothing can be discredited...

« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2013, 05:09:32 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Good backup PG's are rarely available. Terry pretty much has to be that guy.

Unfortunately Terry appears to be at least as over paid as Jeff Green so far. Terry's been too slow to create space for his shot. And looks horrible on defense

Everybody keeps saying this, but can anybody show objective evidence that Terry is a poor defender? The only thing qanyone has provided has been "eye test".

Every single statistic I've seen (all from various different sources) has suggested that Terry has been our second best defensive player after KG in terms of his point impact on that end of the court. The other guys who have have spent time in the starting lineup (Rondo, Lee, Pierce, Sully, Bass, Collins) have all been statistically worse than Terry on defense.

Doc's view of Terry seems to match what the stats say (he's said countless times that he's loved his defense) so...

« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2013, 05:12:25 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Until we can get inside Darko's head, it's all speculation.  Who knows why he left - maybe a combination of reasons, which COULD have been partly Doc, but he took the high road and said nothing.  I'm not putting this all on Doc - the truth is we don't know, and nothing can be discredited...

We don't need to get in Darko's head to know that it is a bit ridiculous to blame the coach for not playing a vet minimum player, who looked terrible and out of shape the short time he did get on the court, during the first few weeks of the season.

Who knows why Darko left...but Doc was under no obligation to play him, and the amount of time he was on the team does not constitute long enough to suggest he wasn't given a "fair chance".

« Reply #70 on: January 04, 2013, 05:29:12 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

We don't need to get in Darko's head to know that it is a bit ridiculous to blame the coach for not playing a vet minimum player, who looked terrible and out of shape the short time he did get on the court, during the first few weeks of the season.

Who knows why Darko left...but Doc was under no obligation to play him, and the amount of time he was on the team does not constitute long enough to suggest he wasn't given a "fair chance".

You know how you can tell Darko didn't get a fair shot? When Doc said himself that he had to give up on small ball, that he was pretty much forcing it on the team but that we weren't good enough for it... THEN he started COLLINS, a guy who had played very little minutes b4 that time, into the starting lineup (he wasn't even getting scrub minutes)! Had Doc gone for the change to a more traditional lineup EARLIER, who knows what Darko could have provided... I'm almost certain he would have gotten that nod over Collins. Doc forced "small ball" which pushed Darko out (most of his problem was his mother's health though).

I'm not saying Darko was the answer but to say he got a fair shot or that we don't know if he did or not is just funny. You know by Doc's own words that he wasn't given one. Not only did Doc choose to force small ball he also cares more about practice then actual game play, b/c when Darko did play he performed solidly for us (yes it was only preseason but he was hurt after that)... Doc doesn't take into consideration that some people are just not going to perform well in practice (he was also worried about his family)! If Darko was doing his job on the court and not being a jerk behind the scenes who cares if he slacked some in practice (sure didn't stop JET's performance all these years... now that he HAS to practice hard here and now says he loves it, his play hasn't been the same lol). What's funny is last season when we couldn't practice much at all, we were amazing...
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #71 on: January 04, 2013, 05:44:19 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Good backup PG's are rarely available. Terry pretty much has to be that guy.

Unfortunately Terry appears to be at least as over paid as Jeff Green so far. Terry's been too slow to create space for his shot. And looks horrible on defense

Everybody keeps saying this, but can anybody show objective evidence that Terry is a poor defender? The only thing qanyone has provided has been "eye test".

Every single statistic I've seen (all from various different sources) has suggested that Terry has been our second best defensive player after KG in terms of his point impact on that end of the court. The other guys who have have spent time in the starting lineup (Rondo, Lee, Pierce, Sully, Bass, Collins) have all been statistically worse than Terry on defense.

Doc's view of Terry seems to match what the stats say (he's said countless times that he's loved his defense) so...
my eye test from watching every game is this:
terry generally works on defense but is fair at best
i'd honestly take my eye test over stats, watch rotations off the ball

« Reply #72 on: January 04, 2013, 05:59:59 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
The Celtics fourth quarter problems are not just because KG is gassed. Rondo's production has been done in the fourth as well.

Rondo and Terry is a defensive nightmare. You need either Lee or Bradley on the floor for D.

Rondo and Bradley / Lee and Terry should be fine with a little Bradley and Lee for good measure. That said is interesting to see what the Knicks are doing with the 35 year old Argentine dude. Lots of good PG's in the league all of the sudden.

« Reply #73 on: January 04, 2013, 06:27:35 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
The Celtics fourth quarter problems are not just because KG is gassed. Rondo's production has been done in the fourth as well.

Rondo and Terry is a defensive nightmare. You need either Lee or Bradley on the floor for D.

Rondo and Bradley / Lee and Terry should be fine with a little Bradley and Lee for good measure. That said is interesting to see what the Knicks are doing with the 35 year old Argentine dude. Lots of good PG's in the league all of the sudden.
It is true what Magic said in order for the Celtics to be elite and have a chance at knocking off the Heat Rondo has to score. He has to average up toward 17 20 points and sadly I've just come to grips with he can't do it. He doesn't like to attack the basket avoids contact and most of the time disappears offensively.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #74 on: January 04, 2013, 07:12:22 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Derk Fisher anyone?

Is he sorta the Jason Collins of the point guards?