Author Topic: U.S. Politics may cost the U.S. the 2026 World Cup  (Read 8454 times)

Re: U.S. Politics may cost the U.S. the 2026 World Cup
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2018, 03:29:51 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
That's okay...let's just have it in North Korea--because Donald Trump just ended the freaking Korean War after over 60 years....!

He does deserve credit for some of it, no doubt.

although this news that is coming out now about the fact that their main test site was buried under a mountain collapse during one of the underground tests last year according to the Chinese and destroyed throws some light on this sudden change of heart by Kim as well ha.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/north-koreas-underground-nuclear-test-facility-is-damaged-experts-say-1524643948

It would be very North Korea of them if they accidentally "nuked" their own nuke program, but whatever the reality is I hope they actually are going to go through with their promises.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2018, 03:37:59 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Do we really have a shot of winning the World's Cup.   Maybe in the Woman's side but the Men's Team has a long ways to go and it has nothing to do with politics.

Elite top athletes in the USA do not play soccer, the LeBron James of our country play football, baseball and basketball.  If our freak of nature athletes played soccer we would trounce folks, but they don't.   This too has nothing to do with politics.

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2018, 03:49:29 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Well, when the President of the United States is putting pressure on an organization to choose his Regions bid, it is absolutely political by nature.

That doesn't mean its a bad thing, WC bids are politicized all the time.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2018, 03:51:41 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Do we really have a shot of winning the World's Cup.   Maybe in the Woman's side but the Men's Team has a long ways to go and it has nothing to do with politics.

Elite top athletes in the USA do not play soccer, the LeBron James of our country play football, baseball and basketball.  If our freak of nature athletes played soccer we would trounce folks, but they don't.   This too has nothing to do with politics.
A little non sequitur but people tend to say this as if Lebron James would be leading the USA to victory if only he played soccer. That's not the case. The problem is not that our NFL and NBA players would be star soccer players were they born in Europe. The problem is that the athletes we have who could have developed into star soccer players instead develop into mediocre basketball and football players.

It's also got a lot to do with our developmental system and our focus on higher education. In Europe all they highly skilled young players end up in academies where their entire focus is soccer at a young age. If you maintained our current infrastructure and made our best athletes play soccer, we still wouldn't be that good I don't think. Our player development is an even bigger problem than our failing to get the best athletes in the building.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2018, 04:26:51 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
FIFA lecturing anyone on ethics is hilarious.

Kinda like the NCAA, right?

FIFA makes the NCAA look like child's play.
Honestly, the next World Cup is in a country that still has slavery.
hey, the US has a big military base there and considers them to be its good allies. so why not?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2018, 09:01:00 PM »

Offline TheisTheisBaby

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32

A little non sequitur but people tend to say this as if Lebron James would be leading the USA to victory if only he played soccer. That's not the case. The problem is not that our NFL and NBA players would be star soccer players were they born in Europe. The problem is that the athletes we have who could have developed into star soccer players instead develop into mediocre basketball and football players.

It's also got a lot to do with our developmental system and our focus on higher education. In Europe all they highly skilled young players end up in academies where their entire focus is soccer at a young age. If you maintained our current infrastructure and made our best athletes play soccer, we still wouldn't be that good I don't think. Our player development is an even bigger problem than our failing to get the best athletes in the building.

To piggyback off of your point about a lack of development, it's that too many coaches are stressing winning over all at the younger ages over development.  Who cares if you're dominating at U8-U12?  Kicking the ball to the fast kid and letting him outrun everyone to score not only hurts him but the rest of the team.  If you develop kids the right way, the results will come when they matter most at U13 and on. 

Another issue I have is that in this country there's this ridiculous myth that only focusing on one sport is a bad thing.  This is just a $$ grab because a lot of schools are pay to play now.  Of course they want kids to play multiple sports, it's more $$.  With a sport like soccer it's irrelevant if you play basketball or baseball.  You need thousands of touches on the ball on a daily basis to improve.  You can alter training methods to make sure kids don't wear down or put too much stress on the same muscles.

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2018, 06:49:38 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

The best athletes here play other sports.   I do not see that changing.   Soccer players are on TV, but we do not treat the sport like NBA, NFL and MLB baseball players.   They don't get the money or endorsements or the same respect of society at present.   That could change, but not few years. So you get the leftovers of the other sports or the kids that could not make the team in some cases.  I don't see this changing, until a lot more money gets into the sport.

But if LeBron played soccer from his youth to present, your saying that he would not be a good player.   I hate the guy, but he is fast, can jump and strong and built like a truck.  He is Rara avis  amd would be pretty good, he sees to the court well and would be a solid passer.   I used him as an example because he is so extreme on the scale but that does not change the fact that he would stomp the floor with people if he trained in that sport his whole life.

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2018, 10:48:09 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

The best athletes here play other sports.   I do not see that changing.   Soccer players are on TV, but we do not treat the sport like NBA, NFL and MLB baseball players.   They don't get the money or endorsements or the same respect of society at present.   That could change, but not few years. So you get the leftovers of the other sports or the kids that could not make the team in some cases.  I don't see this changing, until a lot more money gets into the sport.

But if LeBron played soccer from his youth to present, your saying that he would not be a good player.   I hate the guy, but he is fast, can jump and strong and built like a truck.  He is Rara avis  amd would be pretty good, he sees to the court well and would be a solid passer.   I used him as an example because he is so extreme on the scale but that does not change the fact that he would stomp the floor with people if he trained in that sport his whole life.
Disagree.

How many 6'8" soccer players are there? Who knows how his feet are? It's hugely presumptuous to think hes be likely to be a soccer star.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2018, 04:15:20 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Disagree.

How many 6'8" soccer players are there? Who knows how his feet are? It's hugely presumptuous to think hes be likely to be a soccer star.
To be fair their just aren't that many people that tall in the world, but there are at least a few professional players cracking 6'10".  Many of the taller players end up being goalkeepers where agility, foot coordination, etc. isn't as important.

I'd say the ideal height for a soccer player is around 6'0" (like Ronaldo), though Messi is only like 5'7". 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2018, 04:35:58 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I'd say the ideal height for a soccer player is around 6'0" (like Ronaldo), though Messi is only like 5'7".
That's like saying that the ideal height for a basketball player is 6'7... kind of maybe but not always, really.

The real answer is "it depends". Goalies, center backs, and strikers need to be taller. Other backs, wings, and forwards, not so much.

Edwin van der Sar was a world-class player, and he was 6'6. Peter Crouch, 6'7. Jan Koller, 6'8 (have in mind these are barefoot measures, too). There are also plenty of other - taller - examples that I'm too lazy to track down now.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."