Author Topic: Cap situation for 2021-2022: Celtics in line to pay the luxury tax?  (Read 4027 times)

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/BOS.html

Celts salary projected at $131,777,626 for 2021-2022 season with only 11 players signed

Due to covid effect, luxury tax threshold stays flat at $132.6 million

Ok this number might change if the virus numbers decrease, more fans can start attend games.  But unlikely even half the US/Canada population will be vaccinated by the end of this year.  2021 Olympics has been postponed.

End of the day,  is it correct to assume that one of Smart or Kemba has to go after this season?   

Re: Cap situation for 2021-2022: Celtics in line to pay the luxury tax?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 11:49:41 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106

Celts salary projected at $131,777,626 for 2021-2022 season with only 11 players signed

Ok this number might change if the virus numbers decrease, more fans can start attend games.  But unlikely even half the US/Canada population will be vaccinated by the end of this year.  2021 Olympics has been postponed.

End of the day,  is it correct to assume that one of Smart or Kemba has to go after this season?
Kemba might have to go if we use the full TPE on an impact player but I can’t think of anyone besides Fox .
Also if we are using TPE to get someone signed and traded to us ... Kemba is a goner

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 11:55:35 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Kemba might have to go if we use the full TPE on an impact player but I can’t think of anyone besides Fox .
Also if we are using TPE to get someone signed and traded to us ... Kemba is a goner

Thats the tricky part. Will Danny and Wyc go all in for this season and trade for someone to utilize the TPE?   And will that player be a one year rental for a deep playoff run? 

Or trade Smart or Walker, gain picks.  Then flip those for trade to utilize the TPE?

btw your avatar pic is not working

see this link for fix
https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?topic=80755.0

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2021, 12:33:40 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

Wait how are we getting fox? Does he want out of Sac?
#JKJB

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2021, 12:41:39 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

He is just hoping. And I wouldnt want Fox. He needs the ball in his hands

I would be happier with a pg like Conley Jr. (Rental) or sg Alec Burks

Really decent 3 pt shooting guards. Dont resort to hero ball/need to shoot all the time. But will make open 3s

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2021, 12:59:38 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell

I’m speculating that if we want an impact player with the tpe it could be Fox. Kings are struggling as usual and Fox is on a max deal starting in October. I don’t think Fox will ever be a max player .. he is not on the level of the Js. His efficiency is ok but not all star like. He might get there but I think the prognosis is he is and will be over paid which means he might be gettable.

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2021, 01:09:31 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I’m speculating that if we want an impact player with the tpe it could be Fox. Kings are struggling as usual and Fox is on a max deal starting in October. I don’t think Fox will ever be a max player .. he is not on the level of the Js. His efficiency is ok but not all star like. He might get there but I think the prognosis is he is and will be over paid which means he might be gettable.

Why would they trade Fox before his max deal even kicks in? They gave him that deal because they want to build around him. He's a foundational piece, so even if he is gettable, what assets are we moving to get him? Not the TPE, because they'd likely want young, building block player back in his place. If they start selling, I think they'd move Barnes and maybe Hield if Haliburton continues to show that he's the better fit in the backcourt with Fox.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2021, 01:39:14 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

you listed all the reasons why the Celts should avoid him

Js need a supporting cast not another mouth to feed

I'm good with feeding a guy like Pritchard, because most of the time, he is looking to make others better/hit open shots.  Sometimes when he sees weaknesses/give others a break.... do some of the scoring

Fox needs the ball in his hands. Can't shoot.  Is not a bad passer but is more of a score 1st point

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2021, 01:57:23 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell

Why would they trade Fox before his max deal even kicks in? They gave him that deal because they want to build around him. He's a foundational piece, so even if he is gettable, what assets are we moving to get him? Not the TPE, because they'd likely want young, building block player back in his place. If they start selling, I think they'd move Barnes and maybe Hield if Haliburton continues to show that he's the better fit in the backcourt with Fox.
Hmm I think we can definitely get him in the off-season as his starting salary on his max deal fits within the TPE. I’m not sure about this season as the average of his current salary and the next 5 years is probably above the the TPE. So even though he makes a third of what he makes next year we might not be able to get him. Intersting how the cba works.
Anyway I think if he costs Pritchard plus Romeo plus one first rounder i would not hesitate. The kings would do it because they overpaid or because they are the kings lol.
But I think he is the most realistic option to form a big three with the Js. I think Brad can also use him properly. If we just forget abo his salary and what he does and that we are paying the luxury tax next year anyway why not? If he is available why not?

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2021, 02:20:05 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I suspect Wyc will pay the tax, particularly if we use this season to get out of repeater territory.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2021, 02:25:24 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I suspect Wyc will pay the tax, particularly if we use this season to get out of repeater territory.

With no fans on the stands... where is the extra income going to come from to pay the tax?

Also if this roster cant reach ecf/finals. Still pay the tax?

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2021, 02:28:52 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

With no fans on the stands... where is the extra income going to come from to pay the tax?

The Celtics have been extraordinarily profitable for Wyc.  He’s got plenty of cash to pay the tax.  And, tax payments are adjusted downward in proportion to the league’s revenue. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2021, 02:30:45 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I already complained about it for this season, but will again since it looks like a similar situation for 21-22. I really think the NBA dropped the ball on how teams are able to handle salary in regards to the luxury tax. If the player increases of 5%/8% are still taking place, then I think the luxury tax (not necessarily the salary cap) should have increased as well.

It doesn't really seem fair to make teams pay the tax when they were basing their payrolls on it increasing a certain amount each year. I understand that the pandemic is doing a number on revenues, but it seems some teams are going to be double penalized due to forces outside of their control.

I guess we should really appreciate that the Cs were able to get under the tax this year and restart the clock so they can avoid the repeater tax for years to come.

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2021, 02:31:37 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell

He can sell some of his Tesla stock lol 😂

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2021, 02:33:04 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

He can sell some of his Tesla stock lol 😂

yeah right.  It's a goldmine

he would probably trade somebody before he does that