Author Topic: we have CS names. why did we choose them & what do they mean?  (Read 31656 times)

Re: we have CS names. why did we choose them & what do they mean?
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2021, 11:27:23 AM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
Well, I’ve been a Celtic fan forever. My father had the C’s game on in the hospital right after I was born. And I will be a die hard fan forever. So while the name is simple, it’s certainly accurate and to the point.
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2021, 11:57:04 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Mine is too complicated and came from like 1997 when I was creating an email. I first joined here in 2005 and was still using it. In hindsight, I should have gone with something more fun/memorable.

-Anyway, Jam is the first part of my name. I also like(d) NBA Jam and saw it is as bball related.
-br, the initials of my favorite band (to this day), Bad Religion.
-#s are just #s
Funny, I just read this post and then went onto blabbermouth.net which is kind of like hoopshype for heavy music- random metal news all put into one website- and the first piece of news was that Bad Religion just released a new song left over from their last album.  I'll have to check the band out.

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2021, 01:02:54 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Don't remember.   Maybe my keyboard got stuck.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2021, 01:32:57 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
Roy Hobbs = the alias Paul Pierce used at hotels

Dan Patrick: Do you have a favorite alias that you've used on the road?
Paul Pierce: Roy Hobbs. Since I beat everybody in pool and tennis and softball, the guys were like, "Man, you're a natural." I practiced nothing. It just came naturally.

Hi Paul
ok fine

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2021, 01:36:37 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
NKY - northern Kentucky... not to be confused with NY Knicks

and to think I disliked your takes for being a Knicks fan. Now I need to go back and reread your replies with this new context.  ;)
ok fine

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2021, 01:48:19 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
My first name around here was Soul Jax since Jaxer is my gamer tag. I changed it to Smartacus when I entered the witness protection program.  ;D

Nah Smartacus just seemed like a cool name at the time. Truth be told I stole it from someone on RealGM who uses it as a banner for their posts.

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2021, 01:50:05 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm actually shocked we've never had this topic come up before.  I don't remember this discussion from the CB days either.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2021, 02:08:02 PM »

Offline 100% Celt

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 25
Easy, I'm Welsh/Irish so by heritage I'm a Celt which fits nicely with Celtics.

I imagine most know this but the word Celt (Celts) applies to people whereas Celtic applies to everything else (language, history, dress etc. etc. etc.). You can't have a Celtic person, they're a Celt but you can't have Celt art for example, it's Celtic art. I'm sure you know this already but Celt and Celtic when used about people and culture is pronounced with an initial hard K not a soft S, so phonetically I'm a Kelt and the art etc. is Keltik. Seltik/s and Selt/s refers solely to sporting organisations, most familiar to Europeans in the Glasgow Celtic example and Americans in the Boston Celtics one.

For those interested, the flag below is known as a Celtic (Keltik) flag and brings together the six flags of the principal Celtic nations (starting top left and going clockwise; Brittany, Isle of Man, Scotland, Wales, Cornwall and Ireland). You sometimes see these flags with a seventh or more flag added, most commonly Galicia, which represents places with a strong Celtic heritage but which no longer have strong direct ties to it (modern Galicians for example are not Celts though they still identify very strongly as having a Celtic past).

Incidentally, Celtic cross flags are almost never actually Celtic. They are symbols which have been adopted by fascist movements which is incredibly sad as the Celtic cross is an important part of Celtic heritage and identity, is to be found frequently in graveyards throughout the six Celtic nations and has no political symbolism whatsoever. In the case of Celtic cross flags, they have been misappropriated and b@stardised and have no connection whatsoever with real Celtic crosses. They can be easily identified and differentiated from legitimate use of the Celtic cross design because the fascist version basically looks like crosshairs whereas real Celtic crosses are things of great beauty and intricacy. Glasgow Celtic used the Celtic cross (the real design) on their centenary shirts in 1988:

An example of a Celtic cross from Wales:

« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 02:13:49 PM by 100% Celt »

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2021, 02:18:45 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I'm actually shocked we've never had this topic come up before.  I don't remember this discussion from the CB days either.
I believe we did or something very close to it because I recall a thread like this where I provided an explanation for my current CS name and it didn't sit well with the person who stole my original name in Version 1.0 of Celticsblog when we had to re-register for version 2.0.  It didn't paint them in a particularly flattering light because, well, it was a pretty scummy thing to do.

as to this topic, in the original Celticsblog version 1.0, my CB name was "Slam" which was my college nickname.  When the site upgraded to version 2.0, a user wanted my name and jumped in right about the time registration opened to grab my name since CB didn't lock down user names.  I then registered under my current name which is my college nickname combined with the nickname my mother-in-law gave me.  took a while for relationships I built on the site as Slam to be rebuilt under slamtheking.

« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2021, 02:28:24 PM »

Offline ConnerHenry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
Wanted to find a long forgotten Celtic and remember going out of my mind when Conner Henry dunked on Dr J and Charles Barkley https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYDdZJ2T-7c&ab_channel=Edijs

« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2021, 02:50:40 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Mine is too complicated and came from like 1997 when I was creating an email. I first joined here in 2005 and was still using it. In hindsight, I should have gone with something more fun/memorable.

-Anyway, Jam is the first part of my name. I also like(d) NBA Jam and saw it is as bball related.
-br, the initials of my favorite band (to this day), Bad Religion.
-#s are just #s
Funny, I just read this post and then went onto blabbermouth.net which is kind of like hoopshype for heavy music- random metal news all put into one website- and the first piece of news was that Bad Religion just released a new song left over from their last album.  I'll have to check the band out.

They're not for everybody, but they've been around for over 40 years. The lead singer (Greg Graffin) has a PhD in Evolutionary Biology, teaches at Cornell, and has written several books. Imo, they're the punk band that laid the framework for the melodic punk movement of the 90s (Green Day, Offspring, etc). Their thought-provoking lyrics and four-part vocal harmonies are what set them apart from other similar punk bands. Fat Mike of NOFX (my avatar) always said that it was going to be Bad Religion or Green Day to hit it big first...and well, Billy Joe was cuter and more fun than Greg  :P

The new song is okay, but they have much better stuff. Their new album is actually really solid - which is rare for a band that has been around so long.

« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2021, 02:55:34 PM »

Online W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 88
W8ting2McHale = Waiting to McHale.

Kevin McHale just got the ball in the low post. The defender has no idea which one of a dozen moves and combo moves McHale is about to throw at him to score. Kevin just got the ball in the low post and he’s just waiting to McHale.

I thought ‘82 was a more significant year in his early career when I tossed that year in there. In hindsight ‘83-84 were more important for 1st All-Star, etc.

I could/should have made it W8ting4McHale in honor of the 1984 Kurt Rambis take down.

« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2021, 02:55:48 PM »

Offline FatKidsDad

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
Back in the early 2000's my son was a regular on the Jumbotron. I was still a lurker on the old CB and there was a thread about favorite J-Tron features. One guy said he really liked the fat kid who danced in the tunnel. When I finally started to post I picked the screen name.
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton

"Live so that when your children think of fairness and integrity,they think of you." -   H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2021, 03:00:14 PM »

Offline 100% Celt

• The Green Kornet
NKY - northern Kentucky... not to be confused with NY Knicks

and to think I disliked your takes for being a Knicks fan. Now I need to go back and reread your replies with this new context.  ;)

I had assumed it was New York Knicks Fan lol and just somebody who likes talking to fans of other teams about basketball.

« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2021, 03:01:28 PM »

Offline 100% Celt

• The Green Kornet
Back in the early 2000's my son was a regular on the Jumbotron. I was still a lurker on the old CB and there was a thread about favorite J-Tron features. One guy said he really liked the fat kid who danced in the tunnel. When I finally started to post I picked the screen name.

What is a jumbotron?