Author Topic: Is Powe now UFA?  (Read 5163 times)

Is Powe now UFA?
« on: June 30, 2009, 01:15:26 AM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Was today the deadline to extend a qualifying offer to Powe? Anyone hear anything about his status with the team?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

Re: Is Powe now UFA?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 01:16:50 AM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
i always thought it was july 1st. i have no idea.. i think we would have heard something though.
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 01:21:19 AM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
i always thought it was july 1st. i have no idea.. i think we would have heard something though.

Oh, yeah. It's midnight tomorrow. Perhaps some news tomorrow.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 01:32:54 AM »

Offline rondofan9

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
Hopefully He Comes Back Leon is a very Good Player I love watching him he gives 110 percent all the time he is a True Celtic id be very angry if he left..

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 01:57:32 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Let him go. We have all the leverage in negotiations.

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 03:29:11 AM »

Offline Scalablob990

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • The REAL Pau Gasol
They let him go, then they are retarded....
True Celtic = Leon Powe

Bring back the show!!!!

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 03:38:36 AM »

Offline vagrantwade

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42

We can still probably bring him back even if they don't give a QO.

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 03:41:08 AM »

Offline Scalablob990

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • The REAL Pau Gasol

We can still probably bring him back even if they don't give a QO.

Oh, i'm just speaking in general. Powe is an important part of our team and letting him go because of his injury would be a bit harsh.
True Celtic = Leon Powe

Bring back the show!!!!

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 03:45:24 AM »

Offline vagrantwade

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
He will be on the Celtics roster, I wouldn't worry about that.

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 07:16:32 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Oh, yeah. It's midnight tomorrow. Perhaps some news tomorrow.

I'd be absolutely shocked if they extend an offer when they know they can low ball him with the minimum and he pretty much has to take it.

I don't see any of the other 29 teams racing to sign a guy coming off his 4th major knee surgery.

It sucks for leon, because no one deserves a big pay day more than powe pimping, but is smart business by the C's. They can get him at a pretty hefty discount if they just offer the minimum instead of the qualifying offer.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 07:52:37 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I could understand not tendering an offer in order to offer him just the vet min.  I don't see anyone else offering more for someone who'd be out until the all-star break at best.  The question is, if he gets an offer from a competitive team for the min, would he choose them over the C's?  I could see Orlando or Cleveland making an offer to shore up their benches and to take another piece of the puzzle from the C's.  Lakers could use Powe's skills off the bench too, wouldn't surprise me if they made him an offer for the min.

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 08:21:48 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Instead of extending the QO, I would try to negotiate an extension with the money paritlaly guaranteed this year and nonguaranteed in later years.

The problem with extending the QO is that he spends the whole year rehabbing on your nickel and then becomes unrestricted next year.  If you are going to pay him to rehab, you need to lock him up for longer than a year.

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 08:28:28 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Instead of extending the QO, I would try to negotiate an extension with the money paritlaly guaranteed this year and nonguaranteed in later years.

The problem with extending the QO is that he spends the whole year rehabbing on your nickel and then becomes unrestricted next year.  If you are going to pay him to rehab, you need to lock him up for longer than a year.

The other thing is that the qualifying offer would actually be for more than the minimum for Powe. 

I think what you have outlined is exactly what will happen.  They will give him a partially guaranteed deal, that includes club options for at least one extra year.  This way Powe gets paid for this year, so he can rehab, and for the C's trouble, they get him on the cheap next year, when he could in theory be healthy again.

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 08:50:57 AM »

Offline BigDanz2000

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 33
ESPN insider is reporting in its Rumors that Memphis is going to be looking for a power foward and have named Leon Powe and Glen Davis as 2 players they are interested in signing.

I cant really see them going after Powe all that hard, but I could see them going after Davis pretty hard. 

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 09:05:00 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
ESPN insider is reporting in its Rumors that Memphis is going to be looking for a power foward and have named Leon Powe and Glen Davis as 2 players they are interested in signing.

I cant really see them going after Powe all that hard, but I could see them going after Davis pretty hard. 
They have the cap room to sign either and their salary is low enough to afford moderate contracts to a backup big. Still I'd hate to see either exiled to Memphis....