Author Topic: Has anyone heard about this Dahntay Jones rumor? Hoopshype - Stephen A Smith  (Read 12245 times)

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
source SAS, so im happy. it won't happen, and it better not happen. please don't overrate him for his team accomplishments. he wasn't especial, and the stat sheet proves it. His defense is shaky, kobe lit him up.  he'll be another guy to sag off.

need size and scorers

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
another SG!! how many SGs are we going to stack on this roster?

I'd rather give the PT to Walker.

we need length at the wing and in the front court.

Jones is a waste of a roster spot IMO.
Wouldn't you like him to take over Tony's/Marbury's minutes? I know I would.

if we had an unlimited number of roster spots, fine....but we have actual holes on this roster (ie positions where we have NOBODY - back up C, SF and PG) and only a few roster spots to fill them with.

we don't need another SG.

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Did everyone forget that we cut this guy? I know a lot of people starting rooting for the Celtics after we won the championship but come on, there has to be some people that remember.

I do have memory issues, but I think you may have this wrong. First - there are 2 Dahntay Jones' (I don't think they are spelled the same).  One was a Knicks pick the year they picked John Wallace and has not played for years (not sure he ever did) and may have had a moment on the C's, but I don't think so.  This Dahntay Jones was selected by the C's in 2003(?)and traded immediately on draft day along with Troy Bell for Kendrick Perkins and Marcus Banks.  So -- I don't think the C's ever cut him -- it was a selection for Memphis (Jerry West).  Anyway -- that's what I remember, and I'm sticking to it for now.

We signed Jones for training camp in 2007, and cut him not too long thereafter.  See here.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

if we had an unlimited number of roster spots, fine....but we have actual holes on this roster (ie positions where we have NOBODY - back up C, SF and PG) and only a few roster spots to fill them with.

Well I'm assuming Pruitt, Moore, and Marbury are gone. That would open up the required spots. BBD/Powe could both be gone too. I don't think our roster spaces are all that tight.

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

Well I'm assuming Pruitt, Moore, and Marbury are gone. That would open up the required spots. BBD/Powe could both be gone too. I don't think our roster spaces are all that tight.

but if we don't sign those guys, then we need players who replace what they do...ie if we don't re-sign BBD then we need another big, if we don't resign Marbury then we need that spot for a back up PG....etc...the spots are not as plenty as it may seem.

the only spot that it could make sense is if we don't re-sign Pruitt, but then we don't have a roster spot for a draft pick that Danny might trade for, or a FA he might bring into camp and want to take a flyer on....you need roster spots for flexibility.

to use one on a guy that is almost a carbon copy of two (possibly three) other bench players you already have under contract (TA, Walker, Giddens) is unwise IMO.

I don't want to use up the little roster flexibility we have on Jones.

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I assume the idea is that he would replace Tony Allen (backup SG/SF, depending on the matchup), and Tony Allen would then be used in a trade for one of the other positions of need.
Celtics fan for life.

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
I assume the idea is that he would replace Tony Allen (backup SG/SF, depending on the matchup), and Tony Allen would then be used in a trade for one of the other positions of need.

I assume very little these days. I assumed we would replace Posey and PJ last season and it never happened.

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

I assume very little these days. I assumed we would replace Posey and PJ last season and it never happened.

Haha, well said and a TP.
Yeah, we'll just see.  So much info/dis-info flying around that it is hard to know what to make of anything...
Celtics fan for life.

Offline Champzilla

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 102
Thank you RH for proving my point to Neurotic Guy. I hate when people try to belittle my knowledge on the celtics, I'm actually from Boston.
Boston is the Greatest City in the World !!!