Author Topic: Do we have too many projects on our roster? (split from POB discussion)  (Read 11033 times)

Re: Do we have too many projects on our roster? (split from POB discussion)
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2008, 04:01:59 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
BBD has hustled his tail off and has been playing great defense.  Not just good-- great. So long as he keeps it up, that's good enough for me.

The work he was doing against Yao the other night was as good a testament to mind over matter as any you'll ever see.  Unbelievable!
Yup

« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2008, 04:14:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
BBD has hustled his tail off and has been playing great defense.  Not just good-- great. So long as he keeps it up, that's good enough for me.

The work he was doing against Yao the other night was as good a testament to mind over matter as any you'll ever see.  Unbelievable!
True but can't it be universally accepted now that Yao plays like the least physical giant to ever play the game. Almost to the point of being a 7'5", 350lb finesse player. The guy is fragile and soft as far as I am concerned.

I'm not trying to take anything away from BBD as he does a great job as a 6'6" center and has that "football" attitude about sacrificing his body and not being afraid to move much bigger guys. I just think Yao isn't the best example as I am starting to get the impression that Yao is a bit of a weenie.

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2008, 04:18:10 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

True but can't it be universally accepted now that Yao plays like the least physical giant to ever play the game. Almost to the point of being a 7'5", 350lb finesse player. The guy is fragile and soft as far as I am concerned.

I'm not trying to take anything away from BBD as he does a great job as a 6'6" center and has that "football" attitude about sacrificing his body and not being afraid to move much bigger guys. I just think Yao isn't the best example as I am starting to get the impression that Yao is a bit of a weenie.

No doubt.  It was remarkable to me on both ends.  On one end how much difference a guy can make by going balls to the wall all the time, and on the other what a detriment a guy can be when he's giving minimal effort (especially when he comes up against the other part of this equation).
Yup

« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2008, 04:38:15 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
You guys couldn't be more right about Yao.  I know it's crazy but, I really believe Perkins literally intimidated him right out of his game.  For a 7'6 player that some people say is the best Center in the league to be punk’d by Kendrick Perkins is both sad and funny.   He was bumbling and stumbling all over the place.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2008, 05:38:38 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Davis to me isn't a project, he has a ceiling as a good servicable sub.  Scal isn't a project, Powe & Eddie are good subs.
On the fence Tony Allen...he really is a project as he could be a good-very good starter but for now is a sometimes good sub.
true projects, o'bryant, walker, giddens and pruitt
I personally would rather have 3-4 projects at the end of bench that might help someday.  His rookie year Powe would have been considered a project.  Pruitt will be getting minutes this year AND will help.  Walker to me has what it takes to take over for PP someday.

i agree about walker being able to takeover, but i feel that we are probably the only 2 who think that.

« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2008, 05:49:39 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
You guys couldn't be more right about Yao.  I know it's crazy but, I really believe Perkins literally intimidated him right out of his game.  For a 7'6 player that some people say is the best Center in the league to be punk’d by Kendrick Perkins is both sad and funny.   He was bumbling and stumbling all over the place.
Perk beasted Yao around most of the night. After Yao tried that turnaround fade away jumper and had it blocked he should have just put on his practice uni and headed back to the locker room. He was done. And how embarassing is it for a 7'5"or 7'6" guy to take a turn around fade away jumper and have it blocked by anyone? If done right the only person able to block that shot should be about ten feet tall.

« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2008, 06:11:32 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280

he did really well against him in the preseason game too, its like powe is usually the superior player. but BBD does WAYYY better against yao.

« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2008, 07:57:14 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
The answer to the original question is absolutely, especially for a team that purports to contend for a championship.

But the real evaluator is performance: Who on the roster is contributing at a championship level? Those are the players you keep and build around. There are about eight of those, in my estimation.

And who isn't? You get rid of those players at the 20 game or mid-way point, and you start replacing them with producers.

You don't build a title team by dumpster diving. I thought Danny understood that a year ago. Now, I'm not so sure.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2008, 08:39:43 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja
i have only seen powe and davis play together a few times this season so my observations are limited for sure.

powe is clearly the better player right now. (last season i though davis would pull ahead of powe, but i once more showed my consistency and was wrong yet again.)

davis it seems has hustle, but too often does it with too little thinking and thus bulls people over, commits fouls, etc. he needs to have a role given to him by the coaches and he needs to play with that role to be more effective for now.

but i really like how powe and david play together. each plays a strong, physical game and putting them in as a pair can make up for their lack of height since they play against other teams benches most of the time.

davis does block out fairly well and cant be moved around. if his jump shot ever develops, he and powe might turn into a pretty good combo off the bench.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2008, 01:13:44 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Since BBD is contributing effectively, I don't see him as a project. It is hard to call the 9th man on a top tier team that only plays 9 people a project if he is making a positive contribution. Perhaps he is still young and we expect him to improve, but I think he's moved past project.

Maybe we need to accept that BBD's game may never look pretty. But I'm not worried about pretty. I'm more worried about good team D.

« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2008, 02:12:03 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

he did really well against him in the preseason game too, its like powe is usually the superior player. but BBD does WAYYY better against yao.

Baby plays well against finesse  bigs. He plays good D against Sheed, McDyess and Duncan last year as well.

« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2008, 11:00:27 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Baby plays well against finesse  bigs. He plays good D against Sheed, McDyess and Duncan last year as well.

Big Baby is a better defender in general.  Powe is far superior offensively, and is a better rebounder (although I think Davis keeps his own man off the boards as well as anyone), but Davis is better at defending everyone at this point in time.