Author Topic: Perks Jumper  (Read 5336 times)

Perks Jumper
« on: November 05, 2008, 12:14:46 AM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Well I dont think that Id ever say that offseason surgery for our starting center would create any sort of positive situation, but wow, looks like all those jumpers Perk was shooting while he wasnt aloud to participate in practice during training camp really paid off.

If he can do that consistently, then wow.  What a weapon.

...Not to mention that was probably the best defensive performance I think Ive ever seen Perk put out, and on Yao Ming.
Greg

Re: Perks Jumper
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 01:05:14 AM »

Offline blueygreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 49
Well I dont think that Id ever say that offseason surgery for our starting center would create any sort of positive situation, but wow, looks like all those jumpers Perk was shooting while he wasnt aloud to participate in practice during training camp really paid off.

If he can do that consistently, then wow.  What a weapon.

...Not to mention that was probably the best defensive performance I think Ive ever seen Perk put out, and on Yao Ming.

Very true, but I'd say that Perk has had some range to his game for a while now but for whatever reason has been very hesitant to take it. I remember him nailing a buzzer beater jumper from the midrange a few seasons ago and kind of wondered why he wasn't taking them. He hit a nice baseline jumper against the Lakers too with the clock winding down and I'd like to see him continue to take them as they not only give us an extra weapon but also give the Big Three more room to play their games.

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 07:45:02 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Good for him to see them going down... it's always a confidence thing, and now that he saw a couple going down, he'll be confident that he can make it.

I'm waiting for BBD to get that confidence in his jumper... I don't mind him taking them, even if they look as bad as they look at the moment, because once they start going down for him, it'll be a huge weapon.

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 07:52:42 AM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Maybe Rondo can be inspired and take some Js. Rondo will pass up perfectly easy jumpers (for any HS/grade school player) and take super hard off-balance runners....

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 09:30:13 AM »

Offline TrueGreen

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
Tommy keeps saying that Perk has that outside shot. He's seen it in practice. Perk just needs to have the confidence to use it. One thing I've noticed about Perk so far this season is that he's slowed down his game. He doesn't rush things. Every time he took that outside shot he looked at the situation, took his time and took the shot. He's doing the same thing in the low post. He doesn't rush it up. He gets himself set, he sets up his defender and then he takes the shot. I've always liked Perk and always thought him to be better than what others have said. This might be the year for others to realize that he is a top flight player in this league.

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 09:37:08 AM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
I think with all the weapons around Perk he's been hesitent to take that shot as Perk knows his role and doesn't try to go outside of that.

All of his outside shot last night were good shots. One he was wide open and two he proved he could stick those. If he can consitantly stick those mid range shots he's going really help us out.

Now if we can just get him to set a pick without moving and causing an offensive foul.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 10:16:39 AM by acieEarl »

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 09:42:50 AM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
 I can't remember ever seeing Perkins play a better all around game than he played last night aganist the Rockets.He better buy 100 tickets for family,friends more often and take them on the road with him if thats what it will take for him to take and make those jumpers Tommy has been promising us.Kudos go out to Perkins for last nights performance.

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 09:46:58 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Another thing I´ve noticed is that he doesn´t put the ball on the floor anymore before he gets to the rim. It was a bad habit which allowed defenders to steal the ball under the basket. Now he just gets up and finishes with authority (most of the time^^)

Last year I thought we`d have a nice vintage 80ies Center in Perk in 5 years.Now I think that if he can keep it up, we could have a great 80ies Center in a couple of years.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 10:06:22 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
It's better to wait for a larger sample.

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 10:14:51 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

well, ya of course, but i'm just shocked he even has good form on it, not something you really expect perk to bust out from nowhere.

you see the look on yao's face after the third one?

I would have been perplexed too  :D
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 10:41:32 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
It's the exact same form and mechanics he had last season. The flight of the ball has been looking good for awhile.

He took an early jumper in Indiana's game that didn't fall, then he passed on subsequent looks, for example. It's mental, but jump-shooting is very mental itself.

Hard to predict if he can add this weapon to his (very limited) offensive arsenal, we'll have to wait and see. Yesterday was encouraging.

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 11:26:29 AM »

Offline houlana

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 21

you see the look on yao's face after the third one?

I would have been perplexed too  :D

haha, u should see the look on my face after the 3rd one, "no no no, yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah"
i mean honestly where did that come from, been watching the kid every game since he was drafted  never seen him take that shot.

TP to perk for his off season work

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 02:38:43 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Perk's jumper was excellent last night. I don't think we could've beat the rockets with out them. I think that the way he used it in Houston was how he should use it through this season. What I mean is I don't want to see him taking them unless the defense isn't respecting his shot. The Celtics shouldn't try and make that part of the offense it should just be something to keep defenses honest.

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 05:08:52 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
i was jumping and cheering for perk the whole game, and i think that this is going to be something that we see more of throughout the season. more gameplanning involving the little 2. now that everyones giving us their A-game everynight its gonna help if perk can hit uncontested/little contested midrange shots. also, slightly unnoticed last night was rondo's pullup jumper which as donny said "if he can make that part of his consistant arsenal, its allstar time."

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 05:13:07 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Truegreen hit it on the head, its confidence.  Remember the playoff game last year (detroit?) where perk was hitting spinning fall aways, not thinking about the offense?  He's the 7th offensive option among starters  ;D , its gotta be tough.  9-10 rebounds a game, 6 pts, good d is all i ask.