Author Topic: This season's biggest.......  (Read 4083 times)

This season's biggest.......
« on: October 21, 2008, 04:20:06 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
These are my opinions and predictions. Feel free to post your own.

....surprise for the Celtics will be the ascension of Gabe Pruitt into the back up PG role. Most, apparently including LeBron, have disparaged this kid from the get go but I've always liked his game. It is so different from Rondo's and once he's confident I think you will see the emergence of a very good outside shooter that will properly space stuff on the court for the second unit. And since it is Doc managing we all know we will definitely see a Green Team on the floor a lot during the regular season.

....disappointment for Celtic fans will be the play or lack thereof of the rookies. This C's team is a deep team that has championship experience. There's little room or need for either rookie so expect to be disappointed this season if you're one of those people who thrives on watching rookies develop. That's going to be happening in the NBDL.

....league wide disappointment will be in New York where Danilo Gallinari will not be a factor at all. He's been hurt and as much as D'Antoni knew his dad and this kid, I have felt it was a huge mistake drafting him that high when it was widely acknowledged he was more player than athlete. Just a bad pick in my opinion.

....league wide surprise will be just how good O.J. Mayo is. My personal pre-season ROY poll would be
1. Mayo
2. Oden
3. Beasley.
Once Mayo gets a handle on everything with his team I think the team will see just how good overall he is and will start going to him. I see a future perennial All-Star myself.

.... league wide surprise team will be the Timberwolves and this is not just because of their pre-season record. I think they take a nice step forward this year and will have close to 40 wins. I think they have a solid nucleus of 22-24 year olds that are now entering their 5th or more season in the NBA and are going to start to grow. Big Al and Gomes and to a lesser extent, Telfair, did last year. I see more growth there as well as some coming from Brewer and Foye. They will not be world beaters. They won't even make the playoffs. But they are going to improve greatly. And that will be a surprise.

....league wide disappointment team will be the Dallas Mavericks. I expect Kidd's game to fall off big time and think he will adversely effect that team to the point where they may be fighting for their playoff lives come April.

....hottest renewed rivalry will be the Celtics vs. the Sixers. I think with the addition of a healthy Brand in Philly, that the 4 meetings between these teams will be hotly contested and I think the national networks will pick up on it. That 2nd to last game of the season might be for the Atlantic division crown, who knows.

....headache will be Ron Artest. What I see in Houston is a bunch of fairly laid back underachievers. Add the volatile Artest and if this team has slow start or losing streak I could see fists flying in Houston between team mates. My guess is Artest will be good for at least one suspension this year, one fight this year, and at least one messed up interview that stirs controversy. I know that Stern is praying that his addition means extended playoff run in the nation's fourth largest market but instead, Stern will be wondering why he ever let this guy in the league in the first place.

....question mark will be Derrick Rose in Chicago. I don't see him making an immediate impact and after an okay season I think people will be questioning the wisdom of choosing him first over other players that I believe will have bigger years. Will it be just Rose getting acclimated to the NBA or will it be that he wasn't that good to begin with? I think that question will be asked a lot in the second half of the year.

....media creation will be the invincibility of the Los Angeles Lakers. Now that the national people can announce Kobe as "Last season's MVP" Kobe Bryant there will be no end to the praise thrown his way and towards his team. With the return of media darling Andrew Bynum, expect tons of stories on TNT, ABC and ESPN questioning whether this Lakers team is the best ever. We as Celtics fans will be annoyed beyond all belief.

....deadline trade will involve Shawn Marion. I don't know where he's going but he will be moved. I also don't see nearly as much big name deadline trades this year I we did last year. Now next season, that will be a different story. But I say look for limited movement of big name players this trade season.

Re: This season's biggest.......
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 09:43:22 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
These are my opinions and predictions. Feel free to post your own.

....surprise for the Celtics will be the ascension of Gabe Pruitt into the back up PG role. Most, apparently including LeBron, have disparaged this kid from the get go but I've always liked his game. It is so different from Rondo's and once he's confident I think you will see the emergence of a very good outside shooter that will properly space stuff on the court for the second unit. And since it is Doc managing we all know we will definitely see a Green Team on the floor a lot during the regular season.

Gabe will ascend as you say, but I think he will be more of a combo guard alongside Eddie House. When this happens, I think probably right after Xmas, Tony Allen will become expendable and be moved in a deadline or sooner deal.

....league wide surprise will be just how good O.J. Mayo is. My personal pre-season ROY poll would be
1. Mayo
2. Oden
3. Beasley.
Once Mayo gets a handle on everything with his team I think the team will see just how good overall he is and will start going to him. I see a future perennial All-Star myself.

I think Beasley will compete for the top young knucklehead award. He will finish in the top 5 for ROY but mine is

1. Mayo
2. Oden
3. Bayless
4. Love
5. Beasley

Injury problems knock Oden out of the top slot. Rose still could overtake Beasley by years end. 8)
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 10:59:14 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
number of post will belong to Roy hobbs
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 10:20:18 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
....league wide disappointment will be in New York where Danilo Gallinari will not be a factor at all. He's been hurt and as much as D'Antoni knew his dad and this kid, I have felt it was a huge mistake drafting him that high when it was widely acknowledged he was more player than athlete. Just a bad pick in my opinion.

How many times have you seen Gallinari playing?

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 11:40:30 AM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
I agree re Gabe Pruitt. I have liked him from the get go and I think he will continue to improve. His outside shooting could be a huge help this season when Rondo is struggling. WE might see alot more of House and Pruitt in the back court. He really thinks the game and he has "alot" of talent.

I think either Walker or Giddens will suprise us at some point this year. But I agree they will start off slow. But I do think that Walker could start contributing a bit by mid season. With Giddens he will be a complete no show or will burst onto the scene at some point this year. I think with him it will all of a sudden just click... 

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 12:09:04 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

How many times have you seen Gallinari playing?
I have seen Gallinari in video highlights only. I wasn't overly impressed. I honestly thought Gallinari went too high and that D'Antoni let his relationship effect his judgment. I think Gordon or Bayless would have been a much better pick where they selected.

Besides, it's just a prediction. I could have just as easily chosen Love in Minnesota. I think McHale was an idiot for giving up Mayo for what I think will be a very average big man at best.

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 12:25:46 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
...biggest surprise will be the Knicks making a run at the 8th seed in the East.  They won't get there, but they'll be close.  This is going out on the limb, but I just have a feeling about this.

...Celtics surprise will be the solid play of Pruitt and POB.  These players will make them one of the deepest teams in the league.

...storyline will definitely be the Lakers.  If they get off to a good start and are near the top of the West all year then they will get the medial love.  We learned that during last year's postseason.

...MVP will be Chris Paul.  He is going to have a second great year and his team should improve.  This will get him the top honors he deserves.  It will be a great race with LeBron and of course Kobe.

...draft bust will be Rose in Chicago.  It won't help that the Heat will be a playoff team and Beasley will make a seemingly easy transition into the pro game.  I think Beasley will be ROY.

...Comeback player of the year will be Dwayne Wade.  He's back and while maybe not better than ever, pretty close to it.  It'll be good for the league having him back.  Some people seem to have forgotten how talented he really is.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 01:53:29 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Biggest Disappointment will be the San Antonio Spurs. Father Time will catch up with the Spurs in a big way this year. The Spurs will decline as the season progresses and will be bounced in the first round as a 7/8 seed.

Biggest Surprise will be the T-Wolves. The high-low combination of Love and Big Al along with a breakout performance of Randy Foye will catapult the T-Pups to a 6 seed in the West.

Biggest Celtics surprise will be Doc Rivers playing a consistent 9 man rotation for an entire season. House, TA, Powe, and BBD as the fourth big will be the only bench players to see regular minutes. Anyone else only plays because of injury or foul trouble.

Dark horse MVP candidate will be Deron Williams. 

Biggest deadline deal will be Michael Redd.

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 02:41:02 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Biggest surprise in a good way: Team
Milwalkee Bucks
-This team won't be terrible. They went 26 and 56 last season, I think they top .500 now. Richard Jefferson should be motivated to play, and Scott Skiles will have this team ready.

Biggest surprise in a bad way: Team
Detroit
-This team has lost its mojo. This is the year when they start to crumble a little bit. They're good enough to make the playoffs, and even out of the first round, but they're no longer serious contenders, and it will be evident early.

Biggest thing we knew all along but wanted to believe different: Team
The Spurs will win the west.

Biggest surprise player good way:
Yi Jianlian
-He's gonna be really good for a sub .500 team in New Jersey. Team bad, Yi good.

Biggest surprise player bad way:
Jason Kidd
-He's gonna be worse and the mavs are gonna stink.

Biggest thing we all knew about a player but hoped otherwise:
Ron Artest won't be very good at all with the Rockets. He won't be bad, but he just won't be very good.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 02:57:01 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
...point production off the Celtics bench will come from Mr. Powe
Yup

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 02:34:59 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
The Biggest Surprise so far to me after watching a few Blazers games is how good Rudy Fernandez is from Spain.I watched him in the Olympics game aganist the USA and was impressed but figured he was just having a good game.He is the x-factor on that young up and coming team.G.Oden and B.Roy  get all the hype on that team but i see a rising star in the making.He's a rookie over here but has played a few years professionally in Europe so he is NBA ready in a way.Watchout Ginobli because Rudy is looking to be the next NBA's-European star.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 04:49:13 PM by housecall »

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 02:43:37 PM »

Offline spoiled

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
Biggest Surprise for me is:
Oden - ROY!! ;D ;D

No one could ever take it from him coz he'll be forever ROY!! :P

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 11:22:04 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
Besides, it's just a prediction. I could have just as easily chosen Love in Minnesota. I think McHale was an idiot for giving up Mayo for what I think will be a very average big man at best.
As far as predictions, do you rank Kevin Love above Nick Collison? How about above David Lee? Just curious. 8)
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 01:46:47 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
If the Hawks win 50 games...will that be a surprise?

I can't say for sure...anymore.

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 02:09:55 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
...game so far belongs to Tony Parker.
55 points, 10 dimes and 7 rebs. Whoa!