Poll

Kyrie for #1/#2 + Kanter + Ntilikina. Who says no?

Boston
9 (39.1%)
NY
1 (4.3%)
Both teams say no
10 (43.5%)
Fair trade
3 (13%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Trade idea (assuming the Knicks move up in the lottery)  (Read 2551 times)

Trade idea (assuming the Knicks move up in the lottery)
« on: May 08, 2018, 08:54:58 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I'm kinda bored, so I was playing around with the trade machine and Kyrie. Not that I want us to trade him, but anyway. :P Problem is, there are not many teams willing to trade for Kyrie cause he is expected to opt out of his contract in 2019. The Knicks are one of the few teams that might not be afraid to make an offer. After all, Kyrie had them on his list of preferred trade destinations last summer.

So here's the idea

If the Knicks win the lottery, would you do the following trade?

Kyrie for #1 + Kanter (expiring) + Ntilikina

I'd then use the pick to draft Ayton. Love Horford but he is on the wrong side of 30. Ayton would be the perfect long term replacement for us at the C position.

Not to mention, Kanter's contract expires in 2019, hence we could retain both Smart and Rozier.

ball-handlers: Rozier - Smart - Ntilikina
wings: Brown - Hayward - Tatum - Morris - Semi
bigs: Horford - Ayton - Kanter - Theis

Personally speaking, I'd even do it for the #2 pick as long as we could draft Ayton.

As for the Knicks, Ayton wouldn't be an ideal fit for them cause they already have Porzingis. Kyrie is just 26 years old. They would get a young superstar to put next to Porzingis.

Re: Trade idea (assuming the Knicks move up in the lottery)
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 09:07:37 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Another Kyrie trade...

..Yea, ship the weakling.
Walk the plank Kyrie.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 09:48:11 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I honestly don’t know.

I think my preference would be to maximize our title chances in the near future. That means keeping Kyrie or moving him for a guy like Kawhi.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 10:07:28 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I'd only make that trade if I was concerned about Kyrie's knee and/or him re-signing. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 10:15:52 AM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983
I had thought about a very similar trade last week but was afraid to post lol
AND IDK what is the correct route: Trade Kyrie or Trade Rozier.

BUT if we were to trade Kyrie I would try to trade him out west....maybe Dallas?

Kyrie and our 2018 pick for Wes Matthews and Dallas top 3 pick?

PG- Rozier/Smart/Bird
SG- Brown/Matthews
F- Hayward/Tatum/Morris/Semi
C- Horford/Pick/Thies

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 10:59:16 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think both teams say no.

If Porzingis wasn't coming off his own serious knee injury I think the Knicks would be way more open to it. But right now they need to build a base of talent, not try to jump to contender status right now.

I think the C's say no because they want to contend now and in the future by all reports. Moving Kyrie doesn't make sense unless its for an impact player now. Tatum/Brown/Kings Pick sets them up for the future already, its the now they are working on.

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 12:05:31 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I honestly don’t know.

I think my preference would be to maximize our title chances in the near future. That means keeping Kyrie or moving him for a guy like Kawhi.

I also want to maximize our chances at a championship next year; it's just too bad the Warriors are primed for perhaps their best season so far (building even more cohesion and potential last season of big 4).

If the #1 became available for Kyrie (along with another PG prospect like Ntilikina), I would think Ainge would at least look at it.

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 12:32:02 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I honestly don’t know.

I also want to maximize our chances at a championship next year; it's just too bad the Warriors are primed for perhaps their best season so far (building even more cohesion and potential last season of big 4).

If the #1 became available for Kyrie (along with another PG prospect like Ntilikina), I would think Ainge would at least look at it.
look at it?  sure.  doesn't hurt to look. 

I think after looking, Danny passes.  assuming full recoveries next year, C's can start Kyrie, Brown, Hayward, Tatum and Horford.  Who else in the league can put out a starting 5 like that?  not even GSW.  sure, Durant and Curry are top 5 players and Klay's top 25 player (probably, not that I'm going to count out who may be better) but Green is ok on offense and whoever's playing center is usually adequate if that.  C's have 5 guys they can put on the floor that GSW would not be able to leave open.  no doubling.  no real help defense.  All 5 can put the ball on the floor and drive.  GSW closes in to help the penetration?  all 5 can pass the open man, all of whom have range out the the 3 line. 

not saying beating GSW would be a cakewalk but we match up pretty well.  I'd love to see how that series would play out.  trading Kyrie for a pick will set the franchise back 2-3 years and that's when Al is likely to be in decline.

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2018, 12:55:34 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
I had thought about a very similar trade last week but was afraid to post lol
AND IDK what is the correct route: Trade Kyrie or Trade Rozier.

BUT if we were to trade Kyrie I would try to trade him out west....maybe Dallas?

Kyrie and our 2018 pick for Wes Matthews and Dallas top 3 pick?

PG- Rozier/Smart/Bird
SG- Brown/Matthews
F- Hayward/Tatum/Morris/Semi
C- Horford/Pick/Thies

I don’t want a top 3 pick for Kyrie. When you draft a guy top 3, you hope you get lucky and he someday becomes as good as Kyrie is at only 25 or 26.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2018, 12:58:46 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I'd only make that trade if I was concerned about Kyrie's knee and/or him re-signing.

Right, which means if we made the offer, it would get turned down. No one wants to be part of "Isaiah trade 2.0."

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2018, 12:59:33 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
I honestly don’t know.

I think after looking, Danny passes.  assuming full recoveries next year, C's can start Kyrie, Brown, Hayward, Tatum and Horford.  Who else in the league can put out a starting 5 like that?  not even GSW.  sure, Durant and Curry are top 5 players and Klay's top 25 player (probably, not that I'm going to count out who may be better) but Green is ok on offense and whoever's playing center is usually adequate if that.  C's have 5 guys they can put on the floor that GSW would not be able to leave open.  no doubling.  no real help defense.  All 5 can put the ball on the floor and drive.  GSW closes in to help the penetration?  all 5 can pass the open man, all of whom have range out the the 3 line. 

not saying beating GSW would be a cakewalk but we match up pretty well.  I'd love to see how that series would play out.  trading Kyrie for a pick will set the franchise back 2-3 years and that's when Al is likely to be in decline.

I'll go with slam on this trade.

Essentially, we are "trading Irving for Rozier" as no one can be certain that Ayton is a playoff big in a 2 or 3 year time period.

If Ainge pays Smart, next year, Rozier/Tatum/Smart off the bench? Terry maybe scary, but, that is a terrifying bench to back up as good a starting five as there is. Last house on the left Freddy Kreugeresque scary bench....what team in the NBA has three guys like that on a rotation?

Rozier = perfect back up combo.

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2018, 02:07:57 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I honestly don’t know.

I'll go with slam on this trade.

Essentially, we are "trading Irving for Rozier" as no one can be certain that Ayton is a playoff big in a 2 or 3 year time period.

If Ainge pays Smart, next year, Rozier/Tatum/Smart off the bench? Terry maybe scary, but, that is a terrifying bench to back up as good a starting five as there is. Last house on the left Freddy Kreugeresque scary bench....what team in the NBA has three guys like that on a rotation?

I'm certainly not advocating for the trade, just stating that it isn't such a slam dunk 'no.'

Keeping the band together certainly gives us the best line-up we are ever going to have, but it might be going against the best line-up in NBA history. Also, I think people are forgetting about GSW's new 'Hamptons 5' (lame, I know) line-up with Iggy in place of Zaza/McGee. We would have the better bench, but we would need major progress from Tatum to compete with their starters as they would have the two best players in the series.

And no way is this an assumption that it's just Kyrie for Rozier. Most of us would be psyched that Rozier is a by-product of dealing Kyrie, but when you trade for the #1 pick in a draft, that is automatically the best return asset in any trade.

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2018, 02:30:45 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
C's have 5 guys they can put on the floor that GSW would not be able to leave open.  no doubling.  no real help defense.  All 5 can put the ball on the floor and drive.  GSW closes in to help the penetration?  all 5 can pass the open man, all of whom have range out the the 3 line. 
None of those things would change with Rozier instead of Kyrie. Obviously, Kyrie is the better player, but then again Ayton is better than Baynes. Not to mention, the Achilles heel of Golden State is at the Center position.

trading Kyrie for a pick will set the franchise back 2-3 years and that's when Al is likely to be in decline.
Enters Ayton :P

I honestly don’t know.

Only major worry I have with Kyrie is his injury history. Having said that, traditionally 7-footers have had increased injury risk as well.

Not sure whether I'd do it either. I'm really high on Ayton though (and on Ntilikina for that matter).

Problem is, Rozier is hitting free agency next summer and it seems like he doesn't wanna be a backup anymore.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 02:42:40 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2018, 05:21:14 PM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 45
Good suggestion, just the wrong team.

Let's assume Memphis is at #3

Kyrie + Boston 2018 1st
for
Marc Gasol + #3

We get a starting center, use less money to lock up Rozier on a long term deal.....say 4yrs in the 13-17 mil per.

The #3 pick nets us the best remaining of Ayton/Bagley/Doncic

Sitting at #3, there will be teams drooling to trade up to that spot for the last of one of these guys. If there isn't a team fit for us.....trading down with say, Chicago (who will be in the 5-7 range) for their 2018 pick and an unprotected 2019 1st. We draft the best remaining of Trae Young/Bamba/Porter/Wendell Carter.

This is going to be an exciting off season no matter what. Rozier has played his way to a starting caliber PG for most teams. He is going to want starter money, and currently would be our likely 6th/7th man.

Either we capitalize on Rozier or send Kyrie off and lock Rozier up long term.

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2018, 05:23:29 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Why would Memphis do that, it makes zero sense for them.