Author Topic: Should we blow everything up and trade rondo for a lottery  (Read 10423 times)

Should we blow everything up and trade rondo for a lottery
« on: June 05, 2014, 08:53:22 PM »

Offline Hawkeye199

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 131
 we use our 6th pick on Aaron gordon. 8th pick( which we get from sacramento for rondo) to get smart. Use our  17th pick and couple second rounders to move up to like 15 and draft saric were he will fall because he said he only wants to play for the celtics and laker. he will also fall because he played in a foreign league.
zach lavine-jeremy lin-tyus jones
jeremy lamb-tyshen prince-Andre miller
will barton- beljina-
Kevin love-kevin garnet-payne
Karl anthoney Towns-JJ hickson

Re: Should we blow everything up and trade rondo for a lottery
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 08:58:40 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
Wow. I don't think this is the right move as of the moment. Rondo wants to stay, Celtics management IMHO wants to compete this year, we the fans also don't want to crap our way out of the season (tanking sucked).
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 08:59:34 PM »

Offline Schiller

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 10
  • Ball Don't Lie!
So, basically this is a Smart for Rondo type deal? (How you proposed we would use the 8th pick). I would say no.

Why?

Well, this is how I thought of it.

Rajon Rondo
Pros: Champion, 2 time All-Defensive 1st team (2 time 2nd team), 4 time all-star and most importantly a proven commodity.

Cons: Working back from his injury, 27 (almost 28) is kind of old?

Marcus Smart
Pros: To keep it simple -- potential.

Cons: A hot-head and has "bust" potential.

I just really don't see Marcus Smart being a future star in the league, which, quite frankly, is something Rondo already is. I just don't see the advantage to doing this trade you are proposing. Things are also looking up right now with the whole Kevin Love ordeal.

"I'm cold-blooded!" - Paul Pierce

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 09:02:55 PM »

Offline NorthernLightning

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • zap
Smart doesn't have bust potential. Not by any means.

Rondo is a former star who developed bad habits while playing alongside 3 hall of famers. It was the perfect situation for a poor leader who liked and still likes to preen with the ball and only pass for assists.

We need a better leader and a more adaptable point guard to get the best out of this young group.

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 09:11:27 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
No. God no.

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 09:12:53 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
For Danny who always has plans A,B ,C , D etc....this will be plan Z.....last resort option.... At least that's how I think he's thinking (who knows what Danny thinks, which is why he is so successful)!!

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 09:17:00 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
For Danny who always has plans A,B ,C , D etc....this will be plan Z.....last resort option.... At least that's how I think he's thinking (who knows what Danny thinks, which is why he is so successful)!!

If Danny Ainge were to play poker, he would have been a multi-millionaire poker champion now. Poker Faced GM - Red surely must have taught him well.

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 09:20:00 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Not a bad idea, but I don't think the Kings give up #8 for a 1 year rental.

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 09:20:29 PM »

Offline Schiller

• The Green Kornet
  • Ball Don't Lie!

How does someone not have bust potential? You can't predict the future. EVERYONE has bust potential.

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 09:27:35 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
So, basically this is a Smart for Rondo type deal? (How you proposed we would use the 8th pick). I would say no.

Why?

Rajon Rondo
Pros: Champion, 2 time All-Defensive 1st team (2 time 2nd team), 4 time all-star and most importantly a proven commodity.

Marcus Smart

I just really don't see Marcus Smart being a future star in the league, which, quite frankly, is something Rondo already is. I just don't see the advantage to doing this trade you are proposing. Things are also looking up right now with the whole Kevin Love ordeal.

I think you should also mention a con for Rondo is that he contract will be up soon and he wants max money. We would have to decide if we want a pg who can't shoot for another 6 years and into his twilight....or he could leave and we get nothing

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 09:40:31 PM »

Offline Schiller

• The Green Kornet
  • Ball Don't Lie!
In response to you saying Rondo can't shoot: http://grantland.com/the-triangle/courtvision-everything-you-think-you-know-about-rondos-shooting-is-wrong/

I'm not saying he is a good shooter, but saying he can't shoot isn't true.

Also, he has NEVER said he wanted max money. I don't know why so many people regurgitate the same things about Rondo.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 09:50:02 PM by Schiller »

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 09:53:37 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Rondo is a former star who developed bad habits while playing alongside 3 hall of famers. It was the perfect situation for a poor leader who liked and still likes to preen with the ball and only pass for assists.

Only on celticsblog would trying to get someone an easy shot when you pass the ball be seen as a negative. Why shouldn't he try t get an assist when he passes the ball?

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 09:54:53 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Why?

Rajon Rondo

Marcus Smart

I think you should also mention a con for Rondo is that he contract will be up soon and he wants max money. We would have to decide if we want a pg who can't shoot for another 6 years and into his twilight....or he could leave and we get nothing

Conversely, Smart would be playing under his rookie contract for a few years. Plus, we would getting more than just Smart from the Kings. McLemore would also likely come our way too. Would be wonderful to trade Wallace for the expiring contracts of Terry, Williams, and Outlaw. Technically, this would have to be agreed upon and completed in July since we can't reacquire Terry until then.

C's
#8 (Smart, Randle, Vonleh, or Gordon)
McLemore
Williams (expiring)
Outlaw (expiring / buyout candidate)
Terry (expiring / buyout candidate)

Kings
Rondo
Wallace

Although, I only do this trade if the Love deal falls through.

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2014, 09:58:13 PM »

fitzhickey

Only on celticsblog would trying to get someone an easy shot when you pass the ball be seen as a negative. Why shouldn't he try t get an assist when he passes the ball?
Rondo bashing  ::)

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014, 10:10:28 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton

We need a better leader and a more adaptable point guard to get the best out of this young group.

Gary Tanguay is that you?