Author Topic: 2017 Free Agency Rumors/Signings Thread  (Read 160713 times)

Re: 2017 Free Agency Rumors/Signings Thread
« Reply #240 on: July 02, 2017, 06:28:00 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Wall-Beal-Porter is a nice core. Paying the tax for that core is tough to stomach.

I still can't imagine that they let him go, though. I remember reading after our series that they planned on trading Gortat to save some money.
Gortat for zeller and filler

« Reply #241 on: July 02, 2017, 06:28:21 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2711393-otto-porter-reportedly-offered-max-contract-offer-sheet-by-kings

Looks like Otto Porter has signed a max 4/106 offer sheet with the Kings.

I know it's unrealistic at this point, but that would be pretty sweet if Washington let him go and didn't match. That'd really help us with both the LA and Brooklyn picks, and it'd help an Eastern rival get significantly worse.

How do you get a max contract averaging 13.4 points and 6.4 rebounds? That's ludicrous!

Do it at the age of 23-24, and with the best efficiency in the league for your position.

It's also important to differentiate between max contracts. Porter's 25% max is a little different from Steph's 35%.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #242 on: July 02, 2017, 06:29:06 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
Wall-Beal-Porter is a nice core. Paying the tax for that core is tough to stomach.

I still can't imagine that they let him go, though. I remember reading after our series that they planned on trading Gortat to save some money.
Gortat for zeller and filler

Zeller was waived a couple hours ago :).

DKC Clippers

« Reply #243 on: July 02, 2017, 06:29:36 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Is Otto Porter the new Jeff Green?

Jeff Green never had a season 75% as good as what Porter just had, nor showed the year-to-year improvement the Porter has throughout his career.  Yes, the deal bets that a player who's 24 will continue to improve, but many players do improve from that age, and this one improved significantly every season so far.

Their similarities end at body type and alma mater.

« Reply #244 on: July 02, 2017, 06:30:12 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2711393-otto-porter-reportedly-offered-max-contract-offer-sheet-by-kings

I know it's unrealistic at this point, but that would be pretty sweet if Washington let him go and didn't match. That'd really help us with both the LA and Brooklyn picks, and it'd help an Eastern rival get significantly worse.

How do you get a max contract averaging 13.4 points and 6.4 rebounds? That's ludicrous!

Do it at the age of 23-24, and with the best efficiency in the league for your position.

It's also important to differentiate between max contracts. Porter's 25% max is a little different from Steph's 35%.

Yes, but I'm tired of telling people that because they rarely listen.

« Reply #245 on: July 02, 2017, 06:34:08 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson

Yes, but I'm tired of telling people that because they rarely listen.

Hahaha, everyone sees the word "max" and freaks out. Let's just talk about all contracts as a percentage of the cap and no one will jump at these buzzwords, and there will be no backlash when the cap jumps and percentages stay the same while raw money shoots up.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #246 on: July 02, 2017, 06:56:39 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
I guess most ppl already know this, but here s a salary cap tracker by spotrac

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/cap/

« Reply #247 on: July 02, 2017, 07:00:27 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

$26.5 million per year still seems a bit steep, but that's the market.

It's also why people who think Oladipo is ridiculously overpaid are off-base.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #248 on: July 02, 2017, 07:03:45 PM »

Online green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
Lowry re-signed with Raptors

https://twitter.com/RealGM/status/881622435262377984?s=09

Really curious to see what the contract is.

Are Toronto in the luxury tax now?

I'm seeing 3/100.

Yeah, I think IT4's getting north of that deal. Hopefully for 3 years. I'm fine with that too- he's a game changer. 2020 and beyond is our time frame to win a championship. Until then, I'm honestly not too worried about acquiring the right veteran that pushes the needle.

Hayward would be a nice piece, but I won't be too disappointed if we don't get him. If we're committing to IT4, Hayward, and Horford at around $100m for the next three years, it looks like we're still in the transition mode- which I'm happy with.

« Reply #249 on: July 02, 2017, 07:03:49 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178

Jeff Green never had a season 75% as good as what Porter just had, nor showed the year-to-year improvement the Porter has throughout his career.  Yes, the deal bets that a player who's 24 will continue to improve, but many players do improve from that age, and this one improved significantly every season so far.

Jeff Green Career 13.5 pts 4.7 rebounds 33 % 3pt

Otto Porter Career 9.3 pts 4.4rebounds 38% 3pt

« Reply #250 on: July 02, 2017, 07:10:43 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson

He said "season."

DKC Clippers

« Reply #251 on: July 02, 2017, 07:11:11 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002
Since it's July 2nd, happy one-year anniversary of the signing of Al Horford! His presence has made a huge difference in our season's success in the eastern conference

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #252 on: July 02, 2017, 07:12:20 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

He said "season."
lol

« Reply #253 on: July 02, 2017, 07:24:48 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Oladipo is overpaid and Porter likely will be as well.  Markets are not always correct or reasonable.  That's how you wind up with a housing bubble that nearly destroyed the world economy.  Toronto is going into the luxury tax to bring back a team that has shown no chance at being a contender and will likely have to weaken their roster to try and get under the tax.  Is that logical?

Mike

« Reply #254 on: July 02, 2017, 07:34:22 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

It's still all way off base. No team can pay all their starters $25m+ a year but that's the direction this thing is going. IMO NBA has a major problem on their hands, I predict a lockout in the near future!