Author Topic: we were granted DPE 8.4 mil  (Read 14405 times)

Re: we were granted DPE 8.4 mil
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2017, 07:12:43 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Chris Bosh.  Only guy that really makes sense at this point of the season.

We need to put away the Bosh talk. His career is over. He needs to accept it and move on, and so do we.

« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2017, 07:28:34 PM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
Doesn't this have to be a young center? Okafor, Len, Noel...

I don't see us making a move for a player like Chandler cuz we aren't forcing contention this season..

But pretty much any player over 6'11 and under 27 years old I'm game

« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2017, 07:32:22 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
Doesn't this have to be a young center? Okafor, Len, Noel...

I don't see us making a move for a player like Chandler cuz we aren't forcing contention this season..

But pretty much any player over 6'11 and under 27 years old I'm game

You would think so, but Stevens and Ainge have said recently they want to add a shooter to the team. I guess that would make Belinelli, McDermott, or Hezonja the top candidates. Belinelli has proven he can bring it on a contender when he was on the Spurs, he's being wasted right now on the Hawks.

« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2017, 08:16:20 PM »

Offline jbp126

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51
The misinformation in this thread is giving me a headache. Hopefully my posts from a similar thread will help a little.

Here are some of the rules on how the Disabled Player Exception can be used:
  • We need to apply for it no later than January 15th and use it no later than March 15th.
  • It's about $8.4 million (up to $8.5 million if used in a trade) and can only be used on one player who makes less than that
  • It can be used to sign or trade for a player as long as that player is in the last year of his deal with no options of any kind after this year
  • It cannot be combined with another player to trade for a player who makes more than $8.4 million
  • Applying for it/using it does not mean Hayward can't return this year

https://www.celticsblog.com/2017/10/19/16506264/possibility-of-disabled-player-exception-for-boston-celtics-gordon-hayward-injury-replacements
https://basketball.realgm.com/analysis/240416/CBA-Encyclopedia-Disabled-Player-Exception

Some* players that fit the requirements of the DPE**:
  • Ed Davis
  • Ersan Ilyasova (after January 15th and can refuse trade)
  • Jahlil Okafor (Only if Sixers don't pick up his 4th year option by October 31st)
  • Marco Belinelli
  • Channing Frye
  • Wayne Ellington
  • Michael Beasley (3 months from when he signed with NYK)
  • Marreese Speights (3 months from when he signed with Orl)
  • Josh McRoberts
  • Nerlens Noel (he'd have to approve trade and would lose bird rights if he did)
  • Seth Curry
  • Will Barton
  • JaVale McGee (3 months after he signed with GSW)
  • Trevor Ariza
  • Tarik Black (3 months after he signed with HOU)
  • Lou Williams
  • Montrezl Harrell
  • Brandan Wright
  • Nemanja Bjelica
  • Alex Len (same deal as Nerlens)
  • Any current free agent
  • Free agents that get bought out after the deadline

*Not an exhaustive list
**Used ESPN trade machine and HoopsHype for salary info

« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2017, 08:58:30 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
I have never been an Okafor fan but he's the best value available with this exception. It would take a late first from us, right?
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2017, 09:12:07 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
I have never been an Okafor fan but he's the best value available with this exception. It would take a late first from us, right?

No sense signing someone who wouldn't crack the rotation. There's a reason he's not playing in Philly.

Better to keep the powder dry for a better shot down the road.

« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2017, 09:16:54 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219

No sense signing someone who wouldn't crack the rotation. There's a reason he's not playing in Philly.

What better shot?
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2017, 09:22:45 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen

What better shot?

Nobody knows who will be available; it's a bit early in the season for teams to look to make roster adjustments.

« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2017, 09:31:39 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Doug McDermott would interest me. He could possibly play 2-4 spot.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2017, 11:22:42 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
If Nerlens Noel is not available - what about Noah Vonleh? He has started roughly half of his teams games over the last two seasons, he is 6’10”, he has started to develop a 3 point shot and he is a native of the Boston area I believe?

« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2017, 11:32:54 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21186074/philadelphia-76ers-continue-efforts-find-suitable-trade-jahlil-okafor

He is available - some of our favorite potential targets may not be.  It’s not our fault Philly is playing amir Johnson over him. We could start Baynes and Horford and have Morris come off the bench at the 4. Was he neither Theis or Okafor could come off the bench at the 5 since they are totally different players.

« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2017, 12:31:53 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
The misinformation in this thread is giving me a headache. Hopefully my posts from a similar thread will help a little.

Here are some of the rules on how the Disabled Player Exception can be used:
  • We need to apply for it no later than January 15th and use it no later than March 15th.
  • It's about $8.4 million (up to $8.5 million if used in a trade) and can only be used on one player who makes less than that
  • It can be used to sign or trade for a player as long as that player is in the last year of his deal with no options of any kind after this year
  • It cannot be combined with another player to trade for a player who makes more than $8.4 million
  • Applying for it/using it does not mean Hayward can't return this year

https://www.celticsblog.com/2017/10/19/16506264/possibility-of-disabled-player-exception-for-boston-celtics-gordon-hayward-injury-replacements
https://basketball.realgm.com/analysis/240416/CBA-Encyclopedia-Disabled-Player-Exception

Some* players that fit the requirements of the DPE**:
  • Ed Davis
  • Ersan Ilyasova (after January 15th and can refuse trade)
  • Jahlil Okafor (Only if Sixers don't pick up his 4th year option by October 31st)
  • Marco Belinelli
  • Channing Frye
  • Wayne Ellington
  • Michael Beasley (3 months from when he signed with NYK)
  • Marreese Speights (3 months from when he signed with Orl)
  • Josh McRoberts
  • Nerlens Noel (he'd have to approve trade and would lose bird rights if he did)
  • Seth Curry
  • Will Barton
  • JaVale McGee (3 months after he signed with GSW)
  • Trevor Ariza
  • Tarik Black (3 months after he signed with HOU)
  • Lou Williams
  • Montrezl Harrell
  • Brandan Wright
  • Nemanja Bjelica
  • Alex Len (same deal as Nerlens)
  • Any current free agent
  • Free agents that get bought out after the deadline

*Not an exhaustive list
**Used ESPN trade machine and HoopsHype for salary info

TP for this

On who to acquire, the best player in that bunch is Noel but it’s unrealistic he comes here. I think the C’s need someone who can create off the bench, so names like Okafor and Barton jump out at me. However, I’m leaning towards Okafor because we’ve got plenty of talented smalls and wings who are reliable when you give them minutes. Okafor can fill a Greg Monroe type of role and can potentially cause some matchup problems in the 2nd Unit.

Now, obviously defense will be a problem but at the DPE, you’re pretty much getting a flawed player anyway aka someone who you likely won’t put in during crunch time.

- LilRip

« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2017, 12:46:29 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

The only players I can see really making much sense would be:

* Ersan Ilyasova (versatile guy who can play and guard multiple positions)
* Nerlens Noel (Borderline elite defensive big man with huge upside)
* Frank Kaminsky (could get us some much needed Kelly Olynyk back)
* Julius Randle (has his issues, but would be a nice backup PF for us who can score and rebound) 
* Jamal Crawford (despite age, can still score and play multiple positions, plus adds experience)
* Willie Cauley Stein (nice backup big with upside, could flourish under Stevens)
* Vince Carter (not much left in the tank, but a great veteran presence who can still play a bit)
* Tyreke Evans (a poor mans James Harden minus the jumper - can pass, dribble, rebound, score and can play/guard at least 3 positions.

Aaron Gordon, Buddy Hield and Jabari Parker would obviously be nice, but I doubt either of them would be available.  The Magic have started surprisingly strong so they aren't likely to break that up right now.  The Bucks love Parker, and the Kings gave up their franchise guy for Hield and would look very foolish if they gave him up for a pick.

« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2017, 12:53:23 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I’m leaning towards Okafor because we’ve got plenty of talented smalls and wings who are reliable when you give them minutes. Okafor can fill a Greg Monroe type of role and can potentially cause some matchup problems in the 2nd Unit.

I don't see Okafor filling a Greg Monroe role here.

Monroe is a hard worker who is surprisingly quick on his feet, he's incredibly efficient offensively due to the fact that he gets to the line at a high rate, he's a very good passer for a big, he's a passable (if not good) defender, and he's an elite rebounder. 

You're talking about a guy who has put up Per-36 numbers in the 18/10/3 range over the majority of his career.

Okafor moves like a turtle, is offensively inefficient and rarely gets tot he line, is not a skilled passer, is one of the 3 or so worse defensive bigs in the entire NBA and is a mediocre rebounder.

Okafor's only talent is scoring in the paint - he has no other skills or talents whatsoever, which is why he struggles to earn minutes on a team that's been as bad as the Sixers.

« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2017, 01:21:57 AM »

Offline emajic1

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 12
Sleeper: Danny acquiring Dirk Nowitzki w/the Celtics rescinding the team option for 2018-19.