Author Topic: we were granted DPE 8.4 mil  (Read 14398 times)

Re: we were granted DPE 8.4 mil
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2017, 09:06:00 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Can we afford to trade for Avery Bradley? His salary should fit the DPE amoutn.  ;D

All jokes aside, it really depends on what the needs is. Do we actually need another wing to replace Hayward by position, maybe someone like Marco Bellineli to provide shooting? How about Will Barton (assuming Denver would be willing to make a move)?

I want Mario Hezonja, see if we could salvage his career.

Do we need another big? Let's bring back Brandan Wright, he did decent here on his small stint. Maybe we can wait and see if Tyson Chandler gets bought out.   
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 09:11:31 PM by Yoki_IsTheName »
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2017, 09:11:25 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Is there a law preventing us from signing LaVar Ball?

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2017, 09:14:39 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Is there a law preventing us from signing LaVar Ball?

How about Gloria James?

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2017, 09:51:09 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
In all seriousness, I would use it to sign Donatas Motiejunas and bring him back to the NBA. He's a center who can shoot threes and post up, he would be a good fit off the bench. We have enough guards and wings.

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2017, 09:58:11 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
In all seriousness, I would use it to sign Donatas Motiejunas and bring him back to the NBA. He's a center who can shoot threes and post up, he would be a good fit off the bench. We have enough guards and wings.
I'm fine with it, although I like my Duncan idea better. Although I'm biased towards my own ideas

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2017, 09:58:30 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Where do I sign up? I love this idea. We can probably revive his NBA career too.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2017, 10:06:48 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
I’d throw a lot of money at Alexey Shved to see if he couldn’t be bought out of the final year of his deal in Russia.  Of people who could potentially be signed as opposed to traded for (in other words, not under an NBA deal) I think he’s the best guy available.

I've seen you talk about him a few times, and he's the anarchy made a basketball player. I think he's the opposed player to Stevens' basket philosophy.

I'd give a shot to Anthony Randolph o Motiejunas if we are talking outside the league.

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2017, 10:16:08 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
Is chris bosh all done?

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2017, 10:23:11 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Help me understand.  With this exception does it mean Danny can trade for an expiring using the exception as salary -- trade Semi (for example) for a 10M (or so) contract?  Trade a draft pick for a 8-10M contract? 

Also, this has to mean that if GH returns, we end up with both Hayward and the new player.  That is, no penalty if Hayward returns this year?

From what I understand, it can't be combined with anything else. The player has to be either a FA or on the last year of their contract, and if DA uses the exception Hayward can't come back this season.

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2017, 10:39:11 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Help me understand.  With this exception does it mean Danny can trade for an expiring using the exception as salary -- trade Semi (for example) for a 10M (or so) contract?  Trade a draft pick for a 8-10M contract? 

Also, this has to mean that if GH returns, we end up with both Hayward and the new player.  That is, no penalty if Hayward returns this year?

From what I understand, it can't be combined with anything else. The player has to be either a FA or on the last year of their contract, and if DA uses the exception Hayward can't come back this season.

The bolded is not true. Hayward absolutely can return regardless of whether or not we use the DPE; he just needed to be most likely ruled out for the rest of the season.

It will be interesting to see how long DA waits. It may depend on how successful we are playing as a cohesive unit. Remember, we still have Morris coming back; he's essentially going to look like a the definition of ideal DPE player, except we get him through next year, as well.

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2017, 10:47:41 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

The bolded is not true. Hayward absolutely can return regardless of whether or not we use the DPE; he just needed to be most likely ruled out for the rest of the season.

It will be interesting to see how long DA waits. It may depend on how successful we are playing as a cohesive unit. Remember, we still have Morris coming back; he's essentially going to look like a the definition of ideal DPE player, except we get him through next year, as well.

So how do roster spots work if Hayward comes back before the season ends? If the Celtics aren't given another roster spot, how do they keep 15 players plus 2 two-way deals, and still have a place for the DPE player.

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2017, 10:51:05 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

So how do roster spots work if Hayward comes back before the season ends? If the Celtics aren't given another roster spot, how do they keep 15 players plus 2 two-way deals, and still have a place for the DPE player.

It's not a problem right now since we only have 14 players on the roster. Hayward continues to count against that 15-man limit, regardless.

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2017, 10:52:18 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Roster spots work exactly the same as always. We can have 15 NBA players on the roster. Right now we have 14, meaning we can add one player. To add additional players, we’d need to trade or cut somebody.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2017, 11:53:08 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
Just for roster-building purposes I think I'd prefer to trade for a veteran who can still play a little on the last year of his contract, as it would give Boston their Bird Rights this coming summer and the option to give them an Amir-style 1+1 contract that's useful as a salary matching piece in potential trades. I'd keep an eye on Portland - Boston can use the exception to get them under the luxury tax by taking either Ed Davis or Noah Vonleh (if the two sides can come to an agreement, obviously), and either could be used to generate a decent-sized expendable contract for next season.

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2017, 04:21:50 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Can we afford to trade for Avery Bradley? His salary should fit the DPE amoutn.  ;D

All jokes aside, it really depends on what the needs is. Do we actually need another wing to replace Hayward by position, maybe someone like Marco Bellineli to provide shooting? How about Will Barton (assuming Denver would be willing to make a move)?

I want Mario Hezonja, see if we could salvage his career.

Do we need another big? Let's bring back Brandan Wright, he did decent here on his small stint. Maybe we can wait and see if Tyson Chandler gets bought out.
Avery can't come back until a year has passed from the day we traded him, league rules. Ultimately I think we need a wing out of this, someone with size that can help out against the Lebrons of the world. Someone like Trevor Ariza, not that he will be available. I'd hold the exception til the new year and see where we are then.