Poll

Should we try to make a move for the freak

Yes
11 (68.8%)
No
5 (31.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Trade for Greek freak ?  (Read 3345 times)

Re: Trade for Greek freak ?
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2020, 10:49:59 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
I've been thinking about this since the Bucks got eliminated. I'd tried everything but Tatum.

We just say “take whatever you want that isn’t tatum”

This if necessary. I think JB on his long contract with 5 first-round picks ought to do the trick. Giannis will sign the supermax right away since he’d be as close to home as possible with one of the legendary franchises of the NBA, so we immediately have the unstoppable Giannis/Tatum duo for the next 5-15 years. It’s a no-brainer for all involved, including Milwaukee because Giannis has seen what AD did for himself by leaving New Orleans (going down in history as an all-time great Laker even if they lose these finals somehow).

Supermax not allowed since his contract would not be with the team that originally drafted him, but I would 'require' that he sign an extension once he is traded. This is a fantasy world scenario, but we do legit have the pieces to at least entice MIL to consider it. Giannis would have to want the Cs like AD wanted the Lakers, though.

Edit: And, yes, this. No way would I include Tatum.

Trading Tatum for Giannis doesn't make us better than the Bucks are now.

It's pointless getting Giannis if we can't play him alongside Tatum.
is a “sign and trade”  An option to get Giannis locked into the supermax ?

Absolutely.

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2020, 11:41:22 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I've been thinking about this since the Bucks got eliminated. I'd tried everything but Tatum.

This if necessary. I think JB on his long contract with 5 first-round picks ought to do the trick. Giannis will sign the supermax right away since he’d be as close to home as possible with one of the legendary franchises of the NBA, so we immediately have the unstoppable Giannis/Tatum duo for the next 5-15 years. It’s a no-brainer for all involved, including Milwaukee because Giannis has seen what AD did for himself by leaving New Orleans (going down in history as an all-time great Laker even if they lose these finals somehow).

Supermax not allowed since his contract would not be with the team that originally drafted him, but I would 'require' that he sign an extension once he is traded. This is a fantasy world scenario, but we do legit have the pieces to at least entice MIL to consider it. Giannis would have to want the Cs like AD wanted the Lakers, though.

Absolutely.
That would be an "extend and trade" I think, we did that with Garnett in the summer of '07.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2020, 05:03:15 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

Absolutely.
That would be an "extend and trade" I think, we did that with Garnett in the summer of '07.
that one certainly worked out

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2020, 08:26:55 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Trading for Giannis would alter the trajectory of the franchise much like the Garnett trade.  I just don't see it happening, certainly not without including Tatum.  Of course, I never thought we would be able to trade for Garnett so who knows.

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2020, 09:28:14 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Absolutely.

It's not. Under the CBA, he's only be able to get what he'd get from a new team in free agency in an extend & trade. The purpose of the supermax is incentivize star players to stay with the team that drafted them. He can only be traded after the 1st year of the supermax is over.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2020, 10:42:57 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2405
Should we seriously consider this ? He’s got 1 year left.

If he will commit to being here long term - yes.

If he will not commit to being here long term and chooses to use this trade opportunity to test out whether he likes Boston or not - no.

I am not giving up someone as valuable as Jaylen Brown or Jayson Tatum without a firm commitment from Giannis that he stay here.

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2020, 10:49:20 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I'm not sure what we could realistically trade for Giannis.  No way I'm giving up Tatum and I don't think all of our other assets combined would be enough.

But, sure, if we could pull it off without sending out Tatum, sign me up.

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2020, 12:19:57 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
We could always just try to sign him in 2021. I understand this would mean letting Hayward walk and likely salary dumping Kemba, but that is the cost of doing business. Moving forward with Giannis, Tatum, and Brown as our core would be insane and we would still have Smart, Langford, TL, and any rookies we select this year. If Giannis really does decide to leave MIL, we will have a pretty incredible situation for him here in Boston. We would be contenders for the next 10 years. DAL is really the only other team that is comparable, and that is assuming you are optimistic of Porzingis' future health.

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2020, 04:08:16 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
We could always just try to sign him in 2021. I understand this would mean letting Hayward walk and likely salary dumping Kemba, but that is the cost of doing business. Moving forward with Giannis, Tatum, and Brown as our core would be insane and we would still have Smart, Langford, TL, and any rookies we select this year. If Giannis really does decide to leave MIL, we will have a pretty incredible situation for him here in Boston. We would be contenders for the next 10 years. DAL is really the only other team that is comparable, and that is assuming you are optimistic of Porzingis' future health.
I love Kemba and Hayward even more.

I would be the first to pack their bags if it meant we had a shot at signing of Giannis.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)