Author Topic: 2020 Historic Draft: How’s My Team Look: Conference Finals winners announced!!  (Read 90336 times)

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
Boston Celtics

C: Marc Gasol, Nene, Jaren Jackson Jr
F: Pau Gasol, Rasheed Wallace
F: Kevin Durant, Danny Granger, R-Jefferson
G: Allan Houston, Jason Richardson, Sprewell
G: Steve Nash, John Stockton, Goran Dragic

I have written a bit about my team before so I'll try not to write too much here (edit: I failed).

I used the Spanish National Team as a model for building my team after selecting Pau and Marc Gasol. I loved the way they passed the ball and spaced the floor despite playing with two big men (twin towers really). The Gasol's were key to the interior and having three 40+% three point shooters were key to providing the spacing. Nash, Durant and Allan Houston provide that.

My bench is an interesting mix. John Stockton was selected because he was able to make a big impact on games without needing many shots. That was a key attribute I wanted in role players. That is also why I selected Nene and Rasheed Wallace. Stockton was still a big time player in 2000 but could only play 28-30mpg which is fine for a backup PG. I actually had Stockton rated as a starter in this Historical League.

(edit: I figured I would have enough guys who can put the ball in the basket. I wanted a PG who would get those guys the ball. Who would bring others together and help make it a team. Stockton was #1 option to do that at backup PG)

Rasheed Wallace is key to my bench and lineup versatility. I wanted a quicker mobile defensively talented big man to complement the two Gasols. I also wanted that big man to be able to stretch the floor. Sheed checked both boxes. I choose Sheed's last full year in Portland because he was playing through an injury the next year in 2004 in Detroit which limited his mobility (my reason for picking him) and had bulked up by 2005 to play more center (because Big Ben likes to play next to a big man one-on-one post defender so he can roam on team defense).

Nene was a low usage player who was a strong & versatile man-to-man defender and quality mobile team defender. He was a hugely efficient interior finisher who could create a little in the post or facing up and driving. He had a jump-shot too.

The backup wings did not follow this line of thinking. Instead I went for a scorer in Danny Granger to imitate what Durant does as a starter at SF. A dynamic scoring outside shooting SF. I did not get exactly what I wanted at SG but J-Rich will do. He fitted in well offensively in GSW in 2007 next to Baron, Stephen Jackson, Al Harrington and a young Monta Ellis. And later in Phoenix next to Steve Nash. In both instances showing he can play next to multiple scorers, play off the ball and be effective. I chose his 2008 season because he was injured for a good chunk of that 2007 Warriors season and was starting to slow down by the team he arrived in Phoenix.

Deep bench = Goran Dragic played with Steve Nash and has had multiple different roles in the NBA. Showing he can be effective in many types of roles. He is my 3rd string PG and best option for a two PG backcourt at SG where he had the best season of his career. Jaren Jackson was drafted in to be a Channing Frye type player who Nash had great chemistry with. Richard Jefferson is a well rounded two way athletic SF. And Spree offers something different with his slashing game at SG. I was worried about how Spree would adapt to today's style of play which is why he is on the end of the bench but he could prove useful all the same.

--------------------

I like the versatility of my big men. Marc Gasol is a one position player but Pau Gasol, Rasheed Wallace, Nene and Jaren Jackson can all play PF or C. Sheed can even play a little SF which he did in Portland at times to fit Zach Randolph onto the court. Nene cannot shoot the 3 but I consider the four players to be 3 point threats.

Kevin Durant's ability to play SF or PF gives the team more lineup options. I wanted to start him at PF until I saw how big some of these other teams were in the paint and instead felt that Pau Gasol needed some legit help inside (why I drafted Marc Gasol). Danny Granger or Richard Jefferson give me quality SF options necessary to play Durant at PF.

-----------------------------------

So my main goal was to hone in on the offensive end after I drafted Nash and Durant with my first two picks. I wanted to focus on team passing and outside shooting. I feel this team has lots of both and that will help them play together as a team.

As will the characters of the players I selected (team first guys).

-------------------------------

The big men all provide strong interior defense and structure for team defense. They offer different defensive skill-sets which allow me to matchup well against different types of frontcourts. Durant is a plus defender at SF as is RJ. Granger average. Durant also gives me a 3rd 7 footer in my starting lineup to help shrink the court on defense.

Nash is a liability but Stockton is a strong defensive PG. Allan Houston I'd compare to Ray Allen here in Boston. An average defender with good physical tools can be very effective with sound team defense as Houston showed in New York where they had some strong defensive teams. J-Rich is a bit below average. Spree is a good defensive SG.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 10:09:36 AM by Who »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Rasheed Wallace is key to my bench and lineup versatility. I wanted a quicker mobile defensively talented big man to complement the two Gasols. I also wanted that big man to be able to stretch the floor. Sheed checked both boxes. I choose Sheed's last full year in Portland because he was playing through an injury the next year in 2004 in Detroit which limited his mobility (my reason for picking him) and had bulked up by 2005 to play more center (because Big Ben likes to play next to a big man one-on-one post defender so he can roam on team defense).

So I understand your reasoning for Portland Sheed, but wondering how you settled on the year?

I think a lot of people would have gone with All-Star Sheed in '00 or '01, though I know that would have been mistake, rookie move to just go for the accolade seasons. In '00, despite being an All-Star season, was worse statistically than '01-'03, and in '01 Sheed hadn't yet demonstrated 3 point accuracy at any kind decent volume which developed starting in '02.  So now I'm down to '02 and '03.

But when I compare '02 to '03, I think '02 looks pretty much slightly better or the same in most areas other than 2p% and Assists.

So curious why '02 over '03 for Sheed?

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Online Who

• James Naismith

So I understand your reasoning for Portland Sheed, but wondering how you settled on the year?

I think a lot of people would have gone with All-Star Sheed in '00 or '01, though I know that would have been mistake, rookie move to just go for the accolade seasons. In '00, despite being an All-Star season, was worse statistically than '01-'03, and in '01 Sheed hadn't yet demonstrated 3 point accuracy at any kind decent volume which developed starting in '02.  So now I'm down to '02 and '03.

But when I compare '02 to '03, I think '02 looks pretty much slightly better or the same in most areas other than 2p% and Assists.

I can't remember. Either one is fine. I did focus on 2002 and 2003 because of the 3 point shooting. Mostly I just remember the playoff series from 2003. The comeback against Dallas. Sheed hitting 3s and playing great D.

Dirk said only two big men were quick enough to show on the PnR and recover back well enough to contest his jump-shot - Kevin Garnett and Rasheed Wallace.

That is the Sheed I want. The one I think of. Dirk & Dallas.

I also think of a great Sheed had the next year before moving to Detroit when they were down 20 at the half and were getting torched by Sacramento so they moved Sheed onto Peja and Sheed just locked Peja up. Inspired a huge comeback. Great game.

Mobility. Athleticism. Speed. Defense - man defense, team defense, defense on perimeter guys, defense on interior scorers. Shooting. Sound team play. Experience.

Online Who

• James Naismith
Man, the West is really tough to rank. I am happy with my top and bottom teams but the 5 in between could go in any order. Then mixing it with the East ... oooh boy.

East is straight forward enough.

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Was reading some of the older posts in order to have a solid grasp on all of the teams. Allow me to respond to a comment by gouki that I just saw.

Quote from: gouki88
if we redo this draft in 5 years Zion & Luka could both be top 2 round picks
If we redo this draft in 5 years, I bet Luka will be a top 3 pick.
If we had done the draft after the 2020 playoffs, I bet Luka would have been selected in the first round.

I truly believe that Luka is a GOAT candidate in the making. When all is said and done, him and Bron are gonna be considered the top 2 players in this draft.

Many NBA fans still sleep on Luka cause they haven't seen him play in do-or-die situations yet (=playoff games). Coming from Europe myself, I've seen him responding to stressful situations numerous times. I can assure you that Luka thrives under pressure! I've seen 18-year-old Luka leading tiny little Slovenia (alongside Dragic) to the gold medal in the 2017 European Championship! I've seen 19-year-old Luka leading Real Madrid to the 2018 Euroleague title while winning Regular Season and Final Four MVP honors! The Euroleague and the European Championship are no joke. Luka was just a kid and he was dominating everybody! I'm telling you guys, Luka is the real deal! He is a LeBron-Larry legend hybrid. Jordan, LeBron and Luka are the best players I've seen since I started following basketball in the mid 90s.

The way Luka runs the point is almost unparalleled for a man of his size. Imo, he's already a better floor general than LeBron. The only guy 6'7'' or taller who could run the offense better than Luka was Magic. Mind you, Luka is just a 21-year-old kid. He has all the time in the world to surpass Magic.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 05:16:42 PM by Jvalin »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

I can't remember. Either one is fine. I did focus on 2002 and 2003 because of the 3 point shooting. Mostly I just remember the playoff series from 2003. The comeback against Dallas. Sheed hitting 3s and playing great D.

Dirk said only two big men were quick enough to show on the PnR and recover back well enough to contest his jump-shot - Kevin Garnett and Rasheed Wallace.

That is the Sheed I want. The one I think of. Dirk & Dallas.

I also think of a great Sheed had the next year before moving to Detroit when they were down 20 at the half and were getting torched by Sacramento so they moved Sheed onto Peja and Sheed just locked Peja up. Inspired a huge comeback. Great game.

Mobility. Athleticism. Speed. Defense - man defense, team defense, defense on perimeter guys, defense on interior scorers. Shooting. Sound team play. Experience.

Intersting (to me) tidbit about that '03 almost playoff comeback and Sheed.

In '02 Portland lost 0-3 to the Lakers (and Sheed with an impressive 25/12 in those 3 games)

In '03 Portalnd was down 0-3 to the Mavs, before that impressive comeback pushing in to 7 (which I remember as Zach Randolph's coming out party, moving him to the starting lineup and doubling his minutes really changed things, which was partly possible because Sheed is such an adaptable teammate).

If it wasn't for the rule change, changing the 1st round from best-of-5 to best-of-7, never would have even happened.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Man, the West is really tough to rank. I am happy with my top and bottom teams but the 5 in between could go in any order. Then mixing it with the East ... oooh boy.

It was the opposite for me, the East was incredibly tough to rank while the West was difficult but not brain wracking.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

It was the opposite for me, the East was incredibly tough to rank while the West was difficult but not brain wracking.
I agree with Somebody. I thought the top 5 in the East really difficult to rank while I though the top three in the West clear cut and the #3 out West definitely better than the rest but just slightly but noticeably less good than the top 2.

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Was reading some of the older posts in oder to have a solid grasp on all of the teams. Allow me to respond to a comment by gouki that I just saw.

If we had done the draft after the 2020 playoffs, I bet Luka would have been selected in the first round.

I truly believe that Luka is a GOAT candidate in the making. When all is said and done, him and Bron are gonna be considered the top 2 players in this draft.

Many NBA fans still sleep on Luka cause they haven't seen him play in do-or-die situations yet (=playoff games). Coming from Europe myself, I've seen him responding to stressful situations numerous times. I can assure you that Luka thrives under pressure! I've seen 18-year-old Luka leading tiny little Slovenia (alongside Dragic) to the gold medal in the 2017 European Championship! I've seen 19-year-old Luka leading Real Madrid to the 2018 Euroleague title while winning Regular Season and Final Four MVP honors! The Euroleague and the European Championship are no joke. Luka was just a kid and he was dominating everybody! I'm telling you guys, Luka is the real deal! He is a LeBron-Larry legend hybrid. Jordan, LeBron and Luka are the best players I've seen since I started following basketball in the mid 90s.

The way Luka runs the point is almost unparalleled for a man of his size. Imo, he's already a better floor general than LeBron. The only guy 6'7'' or taller who read the game better than Luka was Magic. Mind you, Luka is just a 21-year-old kid. He has all the time in the world to surpass Magic.
He's already considerably better than Magic at the same age, his curve rn is absolutely bonkers.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Re: 2020 Historic Draft: How’s My Team Look
« Reply #474 on: April 06, 2020, 01:08:49 PM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
Los Angeles Lakers

Kobe Bryant 2002-03
Chris Webber 1999-00
Damian Lillard 2019-20
Nikola Jokic 2018-19
Metta World Peace 2003-04
Pascal Siakam 2019-20
Michael Jordan 2002-03
Marcus Camby 2006-07
Baron Davis 2003-04
Jason Terry 2006-07
Brandon Ingram 2019-20
Al Jefferson 2013-14
Avery Bradley 2015-16
Kendrick Perkins 2008-09

Repost for some feedback.

I like that my team has a lot of options offensively. Could run through Jokic in the high post, with Webber down low taking advantage of smaller PF's and also the ability to step out and hit longer jumpers. I like that both my bigs are incredible passers and floor spacers, who can excel in the pick and roll with Dame and Kobe. Kobe will get a lot of touches and be kept happy, whether he's initiating the offense or coming off screens where 3 elite passers (Webber, Jokic, Lillard) can find him. I chose the younger version of Kobe because of his incredible athleticism and defense (he also posted career highs in steals and 3 point %). My wing defense of Kobe and DPOY Artest will lock down opponents and make up for the not as great defenders in the starting lineup (Dame and Jokic).

Against teams with dominant bigs, we will neutralize them with our incredible spacing. Plus while Jokic isn't exactly a winning a DPOY soon, he definitely is big enough to hold his own down low, and has great hands and instincts. If we are getting abused in the paint, Camby (DPOY season) can come in and handle business.

My bench will probably go 9 deep, Siakam will get some major minutes as a do it all 3/4 that can lock down on defense and doesn't need the ball in his hands. Jason Terry will provide some microwave offense and spot up shooting, while Baron Davis can penetrate and dish while playing tough physical defense on the other end. And we got this Michael Jordan guy too. While he might be past his prime, he still is difficult to stop in a 1 on 1 setting- his footwork and ability in the post is next level. We could let Jordan create and have situations where he is surrounded by 4 shooters (Jokic, Siakam, Terry, Lillard for instance) and will have all the space for his patented post fades. Camby will serve as a defensive anchor for the second unit, with Perk getting spot minutes if necessary against some of the bigger tougher guys. Bradley could also be used for a couple of spot minutes in defensive situations.

Our end of game lineup when we need a basket will be : Jokic, Webber, Jordan, Bryant, Lillard.

For late defensive lineups-  Camby, Webber/Siakam, Artest, Kobe, Bradley can put the clamps on any team.

We have 2 of the best closers of all time in MJ and Kobe, a guy that is throwing himself into that conversation in Lillard, and 2 bigs that can shoot and pass with the best of them.

I think my team balances out very well. A starting lineup full of floor spacers and passers creating dynamic versatile offense (Jordan or Siakam could spend some time with that unit instead of Artest if Artest is becoming a ball stopper in certain instances)- a bench full of instant offense (MJ/JET) and hard nosed tough back ups that will play physical defense (Davis and Camby).

We have a TON of championship experience - and having his idol in MJ will do wonders for the maturity of a young Kobe.

Would love to hear some feedback.
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
1 team seems like the clear winner to me.  Almost none of their picks left me scratching my head and I really like how the team came together.  A couple of other teams were close, but 1 seems like the easy winner to me.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
I know we have had quite a few non-participants observing, commenting and critiquing the draft. Please, all of you, send in a ballot to me in the format that you can find in the OP of this thread.

Moranis
bdm860
theswitch
KGs Knees
DefenseWinsChamps
And others, send in a ballot.

Also, 4 1/2 hours until voting deadline, come on people, get your votes in.

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Was reading some of the older posts in oder to have a solid grasp on all of the teams. Allow me to respond to a comment by gouki that I just saw.

The way Luka runs the point is almost unparalleled for a man of his size. Imo, he's already a better floor general than LeBron. The only guy 6'7'' or taller who read the game better than Luka was Magic. Mind you, Luka is just a 21-year-old kid. He has all the time in the world to surpass Magic.
He's already considerably better than Magic at the same age, his curve rn is absolutely bonkers.
Could someone please explain to me why Luka fall in the 3rd round? This is mind-boggling to me. I mean, would 2004–2005 LeBron have fallen in the 3rd round? That was his second season in the league. He played his first playoff game in his 3rd season.

I would also love some feedback on the LeBron trade. Here is the whole picture (given that I later traded Westbrook for LaMarcus Aldridge):

LeBron + Allen + Millsap + Cliff Robinson for Kawhi + Klay + LMA + Simmons
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 02:24:38 PM by Jvalin »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Could someone please explain to me why Luka fall in the 3rd round? This is mind-boggling to me. I mean, would 2004–2005 LeBron have fallen in the 3rd round? That was his second season in the league. He played his first playoff game in the following season (his 3rd season).
04-05 LeBron was hardly comparable to 2020 Doncic though. And Doncic was my #2 guy after Vince iirc, I was just wary of him due to his defence and lack of playoff sample size (yes he's been clutch throughout his career, but I really want to see him play against NBA playoff competition).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Could someone please explain to me why Luka fall in the 3rd round? This is mind-boggling to me. I mean, would 2004–2005 LeBron have fallen in the 3rd round? That was his second season in the league. He played his first playoff game in the following season (his 3rd season).
04-05 LeBron was hardly comparable to 2020 Doncic though. And Doncic was my #2 guy after Vince iirc, I was just wary of him due to his defence and lack of playoff sample size (yes he's been clutch throughout his career, but I really want to see him play against NBA playoff competition).
I agree. Prime example is James Harden. MVP, scoring leader, unreal efficiency, but, very questionable performances and ability to lead and make his team better in the playoffs going all the way back to his OKC playoff performances.