Author Topic: NBA Coming to Africa creating 12 team league - Basketball Africa League  (Read 12606 times)

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/17/africa/nba-africa-basketball-league/index.html

Seems like a good way to create a pipeline to an underdeveloped basketball region.  Hopefully it works out.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: NBA Coming to Africa creating 12 team league - Basketball Africa League
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 12:24:31 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think it’s a great thing, and not because it will eventually lead to more NBA players. Any investment and opportunity for these kids could really change their lives. I hope that it expands to include even younger kids, bringing them education and better alternatives than they have already.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 12:35:43 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Can't see it working out. No one in America watches euro ball and that is where talent is

So we can count America out as viewers. Who is left? Most Africans have  a Tv excluding places like south Africa or morocco

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 02:31:23 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
lol .... the travel will be horrendous.

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 03:29:40 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
Can't see it working out. No one in America watches euro ball and that is where talent is

So we can count America out as viewers. Who is left? Most Africans have  a Tv excluding places like south Africa or morocco
Well the NBA basically subsidizes the WNBA and that league has been around for a long time.  They'll probably subsidize this as well but this league will provide a pipeline for future talent so it's going to be money well spent.  I'm guessing it may provide some off season programming as well for the NBA channel or possibly ESPN+.

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 03:35:16 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

Well the NBA basically subsidizes the WNBA and that league has been around for a long time.  They'll probably subsidize this as well but this league will provide a pipeline for future talent so it's going to be money well spent.  I'm guessing it may provide some off season programming as well for the NBA channel or possibly ESPN+.
I get where you're coming from

If you can get 1 embiid type player every 8 or so years then the league will pay for itself. That's not a bad test. I'm not sure how many embiids there are left in Africa but we will see. I think there may be a few ibakas

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2019, 03:57:33 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

If you can get 1 embiid type player every 8 or so years then the league will pay for itself. That's not a bad test. I'm not sure how many embiids there are left in Africa but we will see. I think there may be a few ibakas

Left? You know people tend to make new people pretty often, right?

The value is less about discovery, though that's part of it, and more about development so the talented guys aren't as raw and can stay closer to home instead of having to adjust to American colleges or European pro teams or wherever. And on the league end of course trying to get more fans in Africa. They'd be happy to take a loss on the African league if it sells more merchandise/ups international ratings for the NBA itself.

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text

Quite a few actually, Enough that South African Pay TV service Multichoice has been able to develop legit one of the biggest network of sports channels in the world in Supersport, entirely on African viewership. I would imagine they would have the financial muscle and reach to make the concept work.
Banner 18 please 😍

• Bailey Howell
  • Community Text
And the start of the league has been put off by Corona virus.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2020, 11:15:32 PM »

• Bailey Howell
  • Community Text
Should I be happy Tacko Fall got minutes in the Afrobasket qualifiers for Senegal, or upset they came in a win against my home country Kenya?
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2020, 12:29:53 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Left? You know people tend to make new people pretty often, right?

The value is less about discovery, though that's part of it, and more about development so the talented guys aren't as raw and can stay closer to home instead of having to adjust to American colleges or European pro teams or wherever. And on the league end of course trying to get more fans in Africa. They'd be happy to take a loss on the African league if it sells more merchandise/ups international ratings for the NBA itself.
To be fair it's not like people tend to churn out 7 foot gods pretty often :laugh:
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2020, 02:16:50 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
Should I be happy Tacko Fall got minutes in the Afrobasket qualifiers for Senegal, or upset they came in a win against my home country Kenya?

Easy answer.

If you aren't loving Tacko Time then you aren't really living.

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2020, 04:23:20 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

The 2020 draft alone had 3 players from Nigeria. That isn't even considering guys like Okoro (Nigerian-American), Okongwu (Nigerian-American), or Oturu (Nigerian-American). There is a mountain of physical talent in Africa, they just need the guiding hand.

Also have no idea what American viewership has to do with anything.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2020, 05:00:51 AM »

Online Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 262
  • International Superstar

Television exists in Africa, and just like everywhere else, they love sport. Millions of Africans watch the World Cup every year.

Obviously football is massive compared to basketball, but clearly there is an enthusiastic viewership which will only grow with more players appearing at the highest level of the sport.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2020, 02:10:42 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362

Television exists in Africa, and just like everywhere else, they love sport. Millions of Africans watch the World Cup every year.

Obviously football is massive compared to basketball, but clearly there is an enthusiastic viewership which will only grow with more players appearing at the highest level of the sport.

What's interesting is in developing countries in Africa and Asia, many people have bypassed the television, and cable, and those traditional ways of consuming media and are now consuming content on their phones. They have cellphone towers everywhere and data plans, people don't need TVs or cable when they can view things on their phones on demand. Much cheaper all around. They may not always have TVs in remote villages or follow the typical media path that consumers in developed countries do but even the poorest people have smartphones - usually cheaper Chinese ones like Huawei. It's an interesting space that China has been filling.

And as you say millions of Africans watch not just the World Cup, but the African Nations Cup, and World Cup qualifiers in the CAF region. CAF has 56 members all in Africa. Then at club level most African nations have a local soccer league, and the winners of those leagues compete in the CAF Champions League, where the winner of that league then completes in the World Club Challenge. The blueprint is there, soccer created it already. Here are the media broacasters covering the African Champions League (where global viewership for the entire tournament is in the billions):

There's an entire world of consumers out there, outside our country, just waiting to be tapped.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 02:23:35 AM by ozgod »
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D