Author Topic: Hell with it go get some bad contracts  (Read 2776 times)

Hell with it go get some bad contracts
« on: June 24, 2019, 10:52:29 PM »

Offline celticpride1

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40
Take on jr Smith’s contract, Bismack baymbo and tristian Thompson’s contract . Hell with it get some assets maybe a few picks and rent out the space for this year.Maybe flip them at the deadline to somebody for more assets for a rental for a post season run. What do you guys think?

Re: Hell with it go get some bad contracts
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 11:22:51 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Take on jr Smith’s contract, Bismack baymbo and tristian Thompson’s contract . Hell with it get some assets maybe a few picks and rent out the space for this year.Maybe flip them at the deadline to somebody for more assets for a rental for a post season run. What do you guys think?

I think it's a bad idea and doesn't accomplish anything. If the Celts have the cap space, they should use it on free agents that can help them compete now.

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 11:24:29 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I think it's a bad idea and doesn't accomplish anything. If the Celts have the cap space, they should use it on free agents that can help them compete now.
Yeah, taking on bad contracts for the sake of it doesn't do it for me.

If they're willing to give us a crapload of assets in addition to the bad assets though..
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 11:25:08 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Only go with this if we strike out in free agency. Getting some nice picks wouldn't hurt.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 11:57:57 PM »

Offline uconnceltic

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2

I would say no, as it makes zero sense to do just that.

Sorry but NO

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 12:25:35 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Half the roster is gonna be rookie contract guys.  Why focus on competing now?

The team should try to maximize their ability to compete in 2-3 years.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 01:18:49 AM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78

Not my idea of Plan A...but losing out on Davis, losing Horford and Irving (likely) has already put us at Plan G or H at the moment...so maybe this idea is around Plan Q? :)

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2019, 08:15:02 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Half the roster is gonna be rookie contract guys.  Why focus on competing now?

The team should try to maximize their ability to compete in 2-3 years.

Because I'm tired of having to wait another 2-3 years every single season for us to be in contention.

Before you know it, we would've gone through another 22 year championship drought and will go back to being the laughing stock of the league.

No thanks.

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2019, 09:53:12 AM »

Offline Chef Parish

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 1668
Lets sign Mark Blount and Vin Baker to some long term contracts and get some front court depth.

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2019, 10:14:04 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Considering who they drafted this might be play B if the team doesn't secure a good FA or make a trade. We just have too many holes and questions right now to compete. I still wouldn't accept a contract longer than 2 years though as I'd look to time it when Hayward comes off the books.

On a different note isn't Jr Smith's contract a non guaranteed one this year?

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2019, 10:23:10 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I’m on board with this, assuming we strike out on top level free agents and the bad contracts only have one year left.

Not worth a mid/late first to tie up cap space beyond this upcoming season. Once Brown and Tatum get raises, we won’t see this cap space for awhile (unless we let Gordon go for nothing too).
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2019, 11:01:23 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I'm all on board with trading for Steven Adams, as he would provide the front court presence the team desperately needs and fits in to the team's age timeline too. Or even someone like Clint Capela.

Speaking of which, I'm interested to understand if it benefits the Celtics more to renounce the rights to Kyrie or Horford, or if they can get trade exceptions through a sign and trade. Can a trade exception be used, in combination with another player, to help match salaries in a trade.

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2019, 11:07:11 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Only bad contract worth it I’ve seen is Adams.  I have a hunch though we’re in play for Vucevic.

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2019, 11:08:38 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
With smart signings we will be in contention this year, next year and in 2-3 years

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2019, 11:49:41 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33

I agree.  You’ve got a very good core.  Build on it instead of giving up.  Don’t waste the years where you have Tatum and Brown signed on rookie deals.