Author Topic: Doc press conference: Sheed thinking retirement?  (Read 6982 times)

Re: Doc press conference: Sheed thinking retirement?
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2010, 12:46:33 AM »

Offline ChainSmokingLikeDino

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 96
I love 'Sheed. A guy who, as we saw this postseason, goes out and plays. He isn't concerned in the least with having an image. The chapter on him in the FreeDarko book is excellent. Heck, he confronted Donaghy when that crooked ref was in the league. The guy cares about the game and could care less about having a media image. We need more guys like that in the league. It's about the game, not about a shoe contract.

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2010, 12:47:53 AM »

Offline Yakmanev

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 29
I love 'Sheed. A guy who, as we saw this postseason, goes out and plays. He isn't concerned in the least with having an image. The chapter on him in the FreeDarko book is excellent. Heck, he confronted Donaghy when that crooked ref was in the league. The guy cares about the game and could care less about having a media image. We need more guys like that in the league. It's about the game, not about a shoe contract.

Despite our spat in the other thread lol I agree with you here. I wish more players was like that.

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2010, 12:55:19 AM »

• Bill Walton

Despite our spat in the other thread lol I agree with you here. I wish more players was like that.

TP. We may not always agree but we are both Celtic fans. Glad we at least see this one the same way. I respect 'Sheed for being about the game. Period. He could care less about the endorsements, the hype, and all the junk. That guy is basketball. Period.

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2010, 12:57:29 AM »

Offline Yakmanev

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 29

TP. We may not always agree but we are both Celtic fans. Glad we at least see this one the same way. I respect 'Sheed for being about the game. Period. He could care less about the endorsements, the hype, and all the junk. That guy is basketball. Period.

And by the way, I only speak ill of the team out of heartbroken belligerence, they really did do more than I expected and did quite well.

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2010, 01:00:44 AM »

Offline Simulacra

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 8
Easy to see why a guy who cares about the integrity of the game would get villainized to a large extent or T:d up all the time if he takes on the refs and the BS.

Makes much more sense to me now. Always liked the guy ever since his days at NC. What a warrior. Some sweet old school post moves off the glass tonight.

I hope both him and Doc retire and do something more important with a meaning beyond dollars.

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2010, 01:29:41 AM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
Just saw the KG press conference.  He was asked about the Rasheed situation and he specifically said "yeah it's not a good situation"

So that all but confirms it.  I'm guessing Sheed had been talking to Kevin throughout the second half of the season about him thinking retirement.

So "yeah it's not a good situation" says it all.

Rasheed Wallace is most likely retiring.

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2010, 01:34:24 AM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70
Just saw the KG press conference.  He was asked about the Rasheed situation and he specifically said "yeah it's not a good situation"

So that all but confirms it.  I'm guessing Sheed had been talking to Kevin throughout the second half of the season about him thinking retirement.

You could actually make the argument that he retired a year ago.

Then came out of the retirement for the playoffs.

Imagine it must be awful to be on that team bus right now.

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2010, 01:36:07 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

u sure he wasnt referring to sheed being kicked out of staples?

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2010, 01:43:55 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Easy to see why a guy who cares about the integrity of the game would get villainized to a large extent or T:d up all the time if he takes on the refs and the BS.

Makes much more sense to me now. Always liked the guy ever since his days at NC. What a warrior. Some sweet old school post moves off the glass tonight.

I hope both him and Doc retire and do something more important with a meaning beyond dollars.
If Sheed cared about the integrity of the game, he wouldn't complain so much about good calls. He is the boy who cried wolf.

His post moves were great though. Too bad his body couldn't keep it up so Doc couldn't go to him in the post in the end.

That game showed why Sheed shoots so many 3's. He can't keep it up down low anymore.

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2010, 01:45:16 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Sheed mostly just has a problem accepting when things don't go his way.

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2010, 01:51:37 AM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119

u sure he wasnt referring to sheed being kicked out of staples?

I mean it's possible...but I don't think so.  The question asked was "Doc brought up the possibility of Rasheed retiring, what do you think about that whole situation?"

Which he responded with "Yeah it's not a good situation"

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2010, 01:58:48 AM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
Well,if this is it for the Sheed, thank you for tonights game. He acquitted himself quite well out there. Did not know he was battling back problems all year.

We just needed a couple of more 3 pointers out of Ray and Rasheed.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2010, 02:00:58 AM »

• Bill Walton
Sheed mostly just has a problem accepting when things don't go his way.

Agree to disagree. I see 'Sheed as a different beast from most guys in the association. Yeah, the guy throws a fit but props to a guy who is about the game and isn't about the image. If you look at his whole career that is what he has always been about. The game. Not the Nike contract, not the ads, but the game on the court. His whole body of work shows that. Always loved the guy but that's just my opinion. He's never been an image guy but a guy who plays for the game, not the media glory. The league needs more of that.

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2010, 02:02:11 AM »

Offline ejk3489

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 215
I suppose this is relevant...some postgame quotes from the globe...

-- Rajon Rondo on what happened after the game:

"Nobody really said much. We love each other and there wasn’t much to say. We lost."

-- Glen Davis on what Doc Rivers means to him:

"He means a lot. He’s a player’s-coach. He’s a friend, he’s a coach, he’s a father figure. He’s a lot in one."

-- Ray Allen on the mood in the Celtics locker room:

"Tears. A lot of tears."

-- Doc Rivers on Ron Artest's 20 points in Game 7:

"Artest was unbelievable. The three Artest made, you think about some of the shots they made, late clock, three by Artest, Fisher's rainbow over Rondo, and then again the foul call on Ray, that's nine points. They scored 30 points in the fourth quarter, and for us, a defensive group, that's the toughest part to swallow, that we gave up 30 points. We scored 22, but we gave up 30."

-- Kevin Garnett on Rasheed Wallace's situation:

"Not a good one. 'Sheed's situation is very personal you know because I see a lot of myself in him and we have a lot of the same ties and a lot of same characteristics, both Class of '95, old-heads if you want to call it that. For him to come in and give his thanks and his regards after a loss like this and a game like this was difficult. It was a difficult night." 

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2010, 02:04:45 AM »

Offline houseonfire09

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 44
  • Thank you Eddie!
I feel like I just lost a best friend or a close family member after tonight.  Thanks Sheed, for almost getting this game to OT if Artest didn't hit a shot that would go in once a century otherwise.
"If David Stern ran the NHL, is there any chance his meal ticket's team would blow a Game 7 in Round 1? Put a pair of skates on Dick Bavetta!" -Bill Simmons