Poll

Who would you take if you were Paxson and the Bulls?

Michael Beasley
24 (51.1%)
Derrick Rose
23 (48.9%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: With the 1st Pick, The Chicago Bulls Select...  (Read 18389 times)

With the 1st Pick, The Chicago Bulls Select...
« on: May 21, 2008, 12:42:25 AM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
For the last few years, the most common gripe about the Bulls has been "they need interior scoring."  Well, here's their chance... Michael Beasley.  But wait, after a subpar season by Kirk Hinrich and with best-as-a-backup Chris Duhon, they also need a legitimate distributing point guard... enter one Derrick Rose.  So, who you got?

I'm going Rose.  I've been very open about how much more I like Rose than Beasley in terms of attitude, work ethic, effort, and overall potential.  The Bulls need Beasley's inside scoring, but they have Deng, Gooden, Thomas, Noah, Nocioni, and Gray holding down the 3-4-5 spots.  They gave a ton of money to Hinrich, but do they trust him with the keys?  I don't think so.  Point guards like Rose are a rare breed.  I have a bias for great, pure point guard play, so if I'm Chicago, I'm taking the local boy and trusting my young frontline to progress the way they should.

The Bulls are coming up Roses.

(PS... The Wolves are doomed yet again.  3rd pick in a draft with 2 sure fires.  Now McHale must think, and that's bad.)

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

Re: With the 1st Pick, The Chicago Bulls Select...
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 12:49:23 AM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.
I apologize ahead of time for not realizing there is a forum section called "The Draft"  :-[.  I was wondering why there was no thread about the lottery.....  Oh well, now there's a Poll! woo!

Big Ticket: [under breath, to himself] IDIOT!

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 12:55:31 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Take Rose. Point guards are harder to find.

Package Henrich and/or some of the youth there and trade for a big man.  (No idea who but they need to get a little older and experienced down low)

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 12:56:04 AM »

Offline KJ33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 78
Rose is not even close to a pure point guard, he is a scorer first and foremost.  He has the ability to set up his teammates, as did Jordan, but like Mike, he is at his most dynamic when he is slashing and scoring, passing only when needed.  And even if he was a pure point, Beasley is easily the most obvious #1 pick in years.  You never worry about the composition of your current roster when drafting #1 overall. 

If you have a logjam at a certain position, you find a way to play the best and move the rest, too many at the same position is NEVER a reason not to draft the best player available, and Beasley fits that bill better than anyone in recent memory.  He is 6"10" can score from anywhere on the court, rebounds the ball, and can run all day long, however unique one considers Rose, Beasley is as unique a talent to come along as there has been in a long, long time.   The Bulls are crazy if they don't take Beasley.

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 01:15:50 AM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.
Rose is not even close to a pure point guard, he is a scorer first and foremost.  He has the ability to set up his teammates, as did Jordan, but like Mike, he is at his most dynamic when he is slashing and scoring, passing only when needed.  And even if he was a pure point, Beasley is easily the most obvious #1 pick in years.  You never worry about the composition of your current roster when drafting #1 overall. 

If you have a logjam at a certain position, you find a way to play the best and move the rest, too many at the same position is NEVER a reason not to draft the best player available, and Beasley fits that bill better than anyone in recent memory.  He is 6"10" can score from anywhere on the court, rebounds the ball, and can run all day long, however unique one considers Rose, Beasley is as unique a talent to come along as there has been in a long, long time.   The Bulls are crazy if they don't take Beasley.

Hmmmm... I disagree with your assessment.  Rose put up very comparable numbers in both assists and points as Chris Paul did at Wake or Deron Williams did his last two years at Illinois.  Yes, at Memphis, he was at his best when he was slashing and scoring, but I think there is a reason for that.  He was a lighting quick, lighting fast, powerful, big point guard... getting to the basket came to him with ease against college competition.  Yet he still dished out 5 assists a game.  Put him on an NBA team?  I could see him averaging 8 assists as a rookie.  He showed clear willingness to be the distributor and playmaker, showed great overall court vision in both transition and in half court, and to me is the prototypical point guard.  A guy that can either set up his teammates or drop 30 on you... or both.

I think Beasley is going to be more overmatched with NBA competition than Rose (it won't seem so in the first year or two because PG is the toughest for a young player to learn, but 5 years from now I see Rose competing for All NBA 1st and 2nd team honors while Beasley is a 3rd team at best candidate.)  But like I said, I'm bias toward great point guards.

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 01:33:33 AM »

Offline orrzor

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 58
I'd take Beasley, think he's more likely to succeed. Point guards are sort of a crapshoot, and it is only a rare talented PG that can dominate a game and a series (Paul, Magic, Isiah). Also do the Bulls really want to wait for a PG to develop? Will Gordon and Deng even stick around? If you want a PG, why not go after Calderon, I think he's available.

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 01:53:37 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I'd take Beasley (I'd never pass the great big man prospect for the great pg prospect), but I think Paxson will draft Rose:

- he's a local hero, already a fan favourite. The ownership would love to make some more money and Pax's job is in the line right now.

- no character red flags.

- he will get more for Kirk in a trade than for any of his big men.

NY with the steal of the year in Gallinari.   :(

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 03:36:46 AM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 303
  • Anything is possible
I would take Michael Beasley. The Bulls are loaded with guards, and while great point guards like Derrick Rose are hard to come by, this team is desperate for a go-to scoring option up front. That is what they are lacking, and they haven't had a chance at a frontcourt option like this since Elton Brand.

To be honest, you can't go wrong either way, but I say you go with Michael Beasley in this situation.
Check out my blog, Chapsketblog - http://chapsketblog.wordpress.com/

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 04:22:39 AM »

Offline shbanua

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 4
depends who they get for hinrich. i think it's probably fair to say that he and rose will not be on the same team. i'm not sure what his market value is after a bad season. if they can get a quality package for him from anybody, like portand who are in the market for a PG, then he goes. but if they can't, roll the dice with the big... like milwaukee.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 04:38:31 AM by shbanua »

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 06:30:59 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
rose in kirk out would make sense. and beasley for miami would make more sense too.

i hope we can trade up for love. doubt it though.

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 08:11:23 AM »

Offline asterix

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
Beasley. His potential is simply off the charts. a 6-10 that can score from anywhere on the floor (mostly inside - in Chicago's case) and rebound? Not to mention that this is what the Bulls need...

Rose is going to be playing with Wade when this is over.

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 08:35:47 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
I don't think you could go wrong with either Rose or Beasley.  I would take Beasley and use Nocioni (sign and trade), Gordon and or Hughes (if anyone wants him)in a draft night trade for a wing scorer.

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 08:36:46 AM »

Offline lemonadesky

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 6
The way the game is played today, guards and small forwards control the ball and the play. Big men get shots as an afterthought as teams collapse the paint on defense. I take Rose because of this.
What Would Cousy Say

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 09:00:59 AM »

Offline KevinIsSars

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 2
I'd trade the pick and get a veteran big man like Brian Scalabrine.

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2008, 09:34:40 AM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 49
  • KG is da Man
This is the ideal situation: trade Hinrick, Gordon, Hughes and a big like Aaron Grey(or other bigs not named Drew Gooden) for Michael Redd, Andrew Bogut and a draft pick or another player. Then select ROSE. Him and deng and gooden would play so well together.
However the chance a trade like this will fall thru is close to 0.

So I'll choose Beasley instead unless they can trade their overcrowded backcourt away. While getting Mikey, also trade Hughes (by himself or with Gordon) for a center.
Anything is possible!!!