Author Topic: Perkins - Wasn't Bynum, Why Did Nobody Notice???  (Read 18417 times)

Re: Perkins - Wasn't Bynum, Why Did Nobody Notice???
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2010, 10:51:29 AM »

Offline connerhenry43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 163
i do not think this is a dirty play by kobe. i think two guys (3 actually) going for a rebound. i can guarantee he is no saint, but he was, to paraphrase kid n play, not trying to hurt nobody.

i do think there is an issue here outside the normal parameters of injuries will happen in the world of sports. bynum gets away with murder and has all series. he goes over the back and he never leaves the paint. he never gets called for any of it. here was the culmination of this. he goes over the back. he adds a little extra oomph as he comes down on perk, to me, because he has done it all series long and never gets called. his huge body lands on perks huge body, but the knee and leg give.  kobe, in keeping with team policy, argues the call despite the fact it is as cleat of a foul as has been committed all series long.

not sure why bynum gets away with all that he does, while perk (who to be fair is a hothead at times) gets whistled all the time, many times for touch fouls or ridiculous moving screens that the whole league sets).
"Maybe now you'll never slime a guy with a positron collider, huh?"

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2010, 10:52:18 AM »

Offline bobdelt

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
Kobe's arm may have been there, but he certainly couldnt have applied enough pressure while trying to get a rebound to hurt perkins... It's a physical game, everybody's always pushing and pulling... looked pretty ordinary to me. In real time, kobe's might have touched perks arm for a fraction of second, I think perk is a big enough guy to not go off balance on that.

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2010, 11:08:14 AM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
I noticed.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 11:21:04 AM by RAcker »

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2010, 11:21:45 AM »

Offline 35Lewis

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 42
If you hit the pause button and then click on the slide bar you can look at it second by second.  When the flash goes off you can see Kobe's hand by his ankle but you can see his hand is facing up.  He isn't grabbing or pulling at Perk's leg.  Just an unfortunate situation for Perk.

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2010, 11:34:29 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 594
i do not think this is a dirty play by kobe. i think two guys (3 actually) going for a rebound. i can guarantee he is no saint, but he was, to paraphrase kid n play, not trying to hurt nobody.

i do think there is an issue here outside the normal parameters of injuries will happen in the world of sports. bynum gets away with murder and has all series. he goes over the back and he never leaves the paint. he never gets called for any of it. here was the culmination of this. he goes over the back. he adds a little extra oomph as he comes down on perk, to me, because he has done it all series long and never gets called. his huge body lands on perks huge body, but the knee and leg give.  kobe, in keeping with team policy, argues the call despite the fact it is as cleat of a foul as has been committed all series long.

not sure why bynum gets away with all that he does, while perk (who to be fair is a hothead at times) gets whistled all the time, many times for touch fouls or ridiculous moving screens that the whole league sets).

Right on. Bynum has had nothing to fear becaue he's been allowed to go over the back all series long. He might not have been so aggressive if the refs kept him in check.

Who knows, but freak accidents do suck.

Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2010, 11:52:36 AM »

Offline FanInTheSouth

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 4
If you really look closely at the video you can see that the injury has more to do with Bynum coming crashing into Perk as the rebound came down than it does with anything Kobe did. 

Bynum hit Perk at just the right moment to get Perk off balance as he landed and the knee gave in. 

Kobe's hand being down was just him "winding up" to try to punch the ball out of Perk's hands.  It's definitely a dangerous move and is a good way to break someone's nose (or possibly your own hand/fingers), but I don't see it being the main reason Perk got hurt. 

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2010, 11:58:58 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
If you play the video backwards, at half speed, you will see that it is actually Jack Nicholson, who throws a banana peel onto the court right where Perk is landing.  But you have to look very carefully, because it was digitally removed during the 7 second delay, and they just missed 3 frames in their rush to get it out there.

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2010, 03:09:32 PM »

Offline dbrowe

• JD Davison
  • Tommy Points: 1

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2010, 03:13:27 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Yeah stop making stuff up dude... There isnt even remotely close evidence that Bryant is holding Perks leg... His hand looks like it barely even touches the leg while he winds up to swat the ball away.

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2010, 03:28:55 PM »

Offline Celtics Fan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
Look how bryant has his leg under Perk..watch the tape

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2010, 03:56:53 PM »

Offline Trifecta

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • #18 at any cost.
Kobe wasn't holding anything.... this is a case of people seeing what they want to see. Making Kobe the villain. I have no love for Kobe, but nothing happened.

I concur. As much as I would love to blame Kobe, he's not the reason Perk got hurt.
KO and Zeller, aka Hopeless and Helpless aka the Twin Towers of Futility.

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2010, 04:43:44 PM »

Offline bobdelt

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
Look how bryant has his leg under Perk..watch the tape

It's called fighting for position. That's what happens. People fall down on practically every single play, especially rebounds.

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2010, 05:19:06 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
What really makes Perk fall in a bad way is the contact from Kobe's knee to his leg (0:09), he can't land where he should, and then the contact by Bynum makes the rest. Forget about Kobe's hands, it's his knee.

I don't believe Kobe is trying to hurt Perk, but again, Celtics players are in the bad side of unintended plays that result in a Celtic injury. Kobe shouldn't have come under Perk's leg, that's a dirty play with an unfortunate result.

Just like in the Orlando series, Celtics are the "bad boys" and they can't complain about dirty plays. I want Shelden and Scals to cause some "unintended" pain (not injuries) through committing "good playoff fouls".

Nobody here wants Kobe going to jail for injuring Perk, but he did, and that's a dirty play. Lakers are as dirty as Magic, and when it's all over, they can shake hands, but while the series is alive, we have the right to call them "dirty". If it was Kobe going down with a torn ACL, Doc and Danny and Lue might be dressing to make the 12 man roster.

Go Celtics, play hard, tough it up and please Shelden and Scal, don't be shy, play "good playoff" defense.

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2010, 05:33:03 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
The force of Bynum crashing into Perkins is what makes Perkins "brace" his legs in the wrong manner/angle.

I don't think it's Kobe's fault at all.

Kobe should be called for a foul too though, by Bynum committed the more egregious foul.

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2010, 05:39:14 PM »

Offline blaq

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 6
What really makes Perk fall in a bad way is the contact from Kobe's knee to his leg (0:09), he can't land where he should, and then the contact by Bynum makes the rest. Forget about Kobe's hands, it's his knee.

I don't believe Kobe is trying to hurt Perk, but again, Celtics players are in the bad side of unintended plays that result in a Celtic injury. Kobe shouldn't have come under Perk's leg, that's a dirty play with an unfortunate result.

This.