Author Topic: Jabari Bird  (Read 7874 times)

Re: Jabari Bird
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2017, 12:35:15 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I like this kid and he is exactly what we need, right now.

n ya gotta love hearing a Celtics  " Bird for Three " once again ...LOL

Tp
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2017, 03:11:35 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
As I see it with Gordon out, Brad has been giving all the young news a run to see who can do what and who is most ready.  So far Bird is the only one to step up and act like he is not a deer in the headlight when he is on the floor.  Theis also has moments but he does seem on the small side for what he is trying to contribute.

I expect Brad to continue this pattern until someone shows they are somewhat ready to fit in. 

Bird and Theis are in the lead today.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 03:36:28 PM by feckless »
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2017, 04:39:37 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Bird was a steal.

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2017, 05:39:56 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
One game

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2017, 06:15:01 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
One game
to be fair I expected 0 contribution from the 56th pick in the draft, so as far as Im concerned that pick is a success already lol.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2017, 08:32:20 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
Too bad we can only play him for 45 games.

I know I'm jumping the gun here, but for any cap/CBA guys out there, can a 2-way be converted to a regular NBA contract. If so, what are the ramifications?

Yes, he can be converted to a minimum-salary contract.  The ramifications are that he would hit restricted free agency after next season and we will likely lose control of him much more quickly.

So if we make him a minimum salary contract he becomes a restricted free agent this summer?

What happens in the summer if we keep him as a two way player the rest of the season?
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2017, 08:59:17 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I know I'm jumping the gun here, but for any cap/CBA guys out there, can a 2-way be converted to a regular NBA contract. If so, what are the ramifications?

Yes, he can be converted to a minimum-salary contract.  The ramifications are that he would hit restricted free agency after next season and we will likely lose control of him much more quickly.

So if we make him a minimum salary contract he becomes a restricted free agent this summer?

What happens in the summer if we keep him as a two way player the rest of the season?

I’m not entirely clear what happens in the summer, because I don’t know if we signed him to a one-year or two-year two-way deal.  (Two-ways can be 1 or 2 seasons).  Assuming it’s a one year deal, he would be a restricted free agent with a $50,000 qualifying offer.  The Celtics would be able to use the MLE to match an offer if one came — but I doubt an offer would come in.  So then they could use a portion of the  MLE to sign him to a 4-year deal similar to those signed by Semi and Nader this year.  Or they could sign him to another two-way.

If it’s a two-year contract he’s on, they can sign him to a new deal this summer using the MLE as well, or they could make him a two-way player for next year too, and he would be a restricted free agent in 2019.  Also, if he is a two-year deal, converting him this year would last through next season.

Also, while he is on a two-way, he does not accrue service time.  So if he’s signed next summer, he could get the rookie league minimum instead of the 2nd year league minimum.  As the team is very likely to be in the tax, the ~$500k salary difference matters.

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2017, 09:11:42 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70

I’m not entirely clear what happens in the summer, because I don’t know if we signed him to a one-year or two-year two-way deal.  (Two-ways can be 1 or 2 seasons).  Assuming it’s a one year deal, he would be a restricted free agent with a $50,000 qualifying offer.  The Celtics would be able to use the MLE to match an offer if one came — but I doubt an offer would come in.  So then they could use a portion of the  MLE to sign him to a 4-year deal similar to those signed by Semi and Nader this year.  Or they could sign him to another two-way.

If it’s a two-year contract he’s on, they can sign him to a new deal this summer using the MLE as well, or they could make him a two-way player for next year too, and he would be a restricted free agent in 2019.  Also, if he is a two-year deal, converting him this year would last through next season.

Also, while he is on a two-way, he does not accrue service time.  So if he’s signed next summer, he could get the rookie league minimum instead of the 2nd year league minimum.  As the team is very likely to be in the tax, the ~$500k salary difference matters.

Thanks for the detailed response. TP.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2017, 09:27:00 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
One game
to be fair I expected 0 contribution from the 56th pick in the draft, so as far as Im concerned that pick is a success already lol.

IT was the 60th pick so he ought to be better than that. :D

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2017, 09:39:22 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
One game

IT was the 60th pick so he ought to be better than that. :D

IT is on my Mount Rushmore with Tom Brady, my mom, and Taylor Swift. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2018, 08:25:33 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Thought I would bump this thread given Bird's signing and a lot of minimizing of his potential on this board, especially in the Bird  thread.

Bird has a ton of potential. I say potential even, though many are discounting his potential based on his age.

Bird may be 24, but developmentally, he is only about 20-21 at most. Two major retardants to his development have been his college coach for his last 3 years at Cal, Cuonzo Martin and his injuries this past, first pro season, so in effect, he has lost 3 1/2 years of his development.

Cuonzo Martin is/was a HORRIFIC coach.The guy could recruit like crazy (Bird as McDonald All-American and top 21 recruit, Ivan Rabb and Jaylen are prime examples) but is one of the suckiest college coaches that I can remember. Pre-game strategy, in game strategies and adjustments and players motivation, personnel implementation and a lack of a coherent offensive or defensive scheme are his major weaknesses.

Cuonzo Martin is SO bad, that with Jaylen, Jabari and Rabb, he lost in the first round of the NCAAs and WORSE, lost to CSU Bakersfield (yeah, you read that right) with Jabari and Rabb in the NIT in 2017. He resigned shortly thereafter, despite having a contract through 2021. SHAME.

It WAS a shame, particularly for Bird and Rabb, whose value as pro prospects weren't even close to being realized because of Cuonzo. Even Jaylen looked totally lost oftentimes in Cuonzo's systemless, structureless basketball, and didn't develop as he should have (perhaps lucky for us).

Bird is explosive, defends like crazy and has good offensive instincts, especially in moving off the ball. He has always been a decent FT shooter and 3pt shooter. He's a good rebounder for his position.

Early last season, in his breakout game vs the '6ers, he shut down a previously on-fire JJ and led our comeback. Stevens and Jaylen praised his defense and his readiness mightily after that game.

I have been a Jabari fan since his Cal days and his development since Salesian HS has been exactly ONE year with Mike Montgomery his freshman year (Montgomery's last year at Cal) and 1/2 of a year last year with the Claws and Brad.

He still has big potential, despite his chronological age, because his development age is more like 20 or 21. I am thrilled at his deserved signing, and hope we can keep him after the 2 years. His further development could make TRoz expendable if Kyrie stays. Smart at the point and Bird at the 2 is one hellacious, versatile defensive nightmare pairing.

Can't wait!!!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 09:49:16 PM by csfansince60s »

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2018, 09:03:45 PM »

Offline satch

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 136
csfansince60s- Your synopsis was interesting... 

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2018, 09:37:37 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Thought I would bump this thread given Bird's signing and a lot of minimizing of his potential on this board, especially in the Bird  thread.

Bird has a ton of potential. I say potential even, though many are discounting his potential based on his age.

Bird may be 24, but developmentally, he is only about 20-21 at most. Two major retardants to his development have been his college coach for his last 3 years at Cal, Cuonzo Martin and his injuries this past, first pro season, so in effect, he has lost 3 1/2 years of his development.

Cuonzo Martin is/was a HORRIFIC coach.The guy could recruit like crazy (Bird as McDonald All-American and top 21 recruit, Ivan Rabb and Jaylen are prime examples) but is one of the suckiest college coaches that I can remember. Pre-game strategy, in game strategies and adjustments and players motivation, personnel implementation and a lack of a coherent offensive or defensive scheme are his major weaknesses.

Cuonzo Martin is SO bad, that with Jaylen, Jabari and Rabb, he lost in the first round of the NCAAs and WORSE, lost to CSU Bakersfield (yeah, you read that right) with Jabari and Rabb in the NIT in 2017. He resigned shortly thereafter, despite having a contract through 2021. SHAME.

It WAS a shame, particularly for Bird and Rabb, whose value as pro prospects weren't even close to being realized because of Cuonzo. Even Jaylen looked totally lost oftentimes in Cuonzo's systemless, structureless basketball, and didn't develop as he should have (perhaps lucky for us).

Bird is explosive, defends like crazy and has good offensive instincts, especially in moving off the ball. He has always been a decent FT shooter and 3pt shooter. He's an good rebounder for his position.

Early last season, in his breakout game vs the '6ers, he shut down a previously on-fire JJ and led our comeback. Stevens and Jaylen praised his defense and his readiness mightily after that game.

I have been a Jabari fan since his Cal days and his development since Salesian HS has been exactly ONE year with Mike Montgomery his freshman year (Montgomery's last year at Cal) and 1/2 of a year last year with the Claws and Brad.

He still has big potential, despite his chronological age, because his development age is more like 20 or 21. I am thrilled at his deserved signing, and hope we can keep him after the 2 years. His further development could make TRoz expendable if Kyrie stays. Smart at the point and Bird at the 2 is one hellacious, versatile defensive nightmare pairing.

Can't wait!!!

That's a big Tp. Nice post.

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2018, 09:58:17 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Anyone else see the other good side of having Jabari? We keep brown here and happy with his boy. Plus they have a lot of chemistry having played for a while together

You can say the same about Tatum and kyrie since they were friends off the court before kyrie came

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2018, 10:04:17 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Anyone else see the other good side of having Jabari? We keep brown here and happy with his boy. Plus they have a lot of chemistry having played for a while together

You can say the same about Tatum and kyrie since they were friends off the court before kyrie came

TP...completely agree.

Bird was living with Jaylen when he was down from Maine at the big club in Boston. Great mutual support and chemistry on and off the court.