Author Topic: Celtics Free Agent Plan for 2015 off season  (Read 14349 times)

Re: Celtics Free Agent Plan for 2015 off season
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2015, 11:30:51 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
I'd be happy with signing Millsap for the max if Atlanta doesn't want to give that much money to a 30-year-old, then signing using the rest of the cap space to sign a center like Omer Asik or Robin Lopez.

Agreed. There aren't many players over the age of 26 or 27 the Celtics should be looking at. We should be hedging between loading up for a playoff run and loading up on young players who still have room to grow. Millsap, though, is one of the exceptions. He might still be undervalued, even after this season. Which means we'd actually have a chance to persuade him to sign with a max contract. He might even still have room to grow as a player under Stevens, he seems very coachable. Versatile, durable. I love Millsap.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2015, 01:35:13 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
1. Get a deal with Crowder, like has already been said don't announce it till late in the summer.
2.Try for all the top FAs.
3. Look for other deals that add talent or assets.
4. Depending on what we get decide on bringing back Bass and Jerebko

What about giving B Lopez a 1 year max (maybe +1 year player option) so he can cash in next summer? It would screw the nets over and improve us in the short term. I'd also look at what we could get for taking on Lee from GSW. One way or another we need some big man help to improve.

« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2015, 01:50:02 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
1. Get a deal with Crowder, like has already been said don't announce it till late in the summer.

What about giving B Lopez a 1 year max (maybe +1 year player option) so he can cash in next summer? It would screw the nets over and improve us in the short term. I'd also look at what we could get for taking on Lee from GSW. One way or another we need some big man help to improve.
i like that one year brooke lopez idea

TP
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2015, 09:05:25 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

David Lee hasn't helped a team improve since helped the Knicks by leaving.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2015, 09:29:28 AM »

Offline Msimonetta2

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 7
Who can put together a three team deal with us, Sacramento, and Denver where we get Lawson maybe with our rondo tpe sending them picks, Lawson gets flipped for the #6 pick (take wcs or hezonja). I suppose if we use the tpe it would need to be separate deals.  If after we get Lawson we send him out to Sacramento we get the #6 pick back plus players?

« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2015, 09:30:03 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I've always wanted to like David Lee.  Such a productive player despite physical limitations.  But yeah, never figured out how to not be so horrible defensively that his team is actually better with him on the floor.

Sullinger is a lot like David Lee, actually, except he's trying to add 3 point range to his game.  Lee is more athletic than Sully, though.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2015, 09:31:58 AM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
Throw some max deals around and see if one sticks. I think Danny is really eyeing 2016 FA class. But throw some deals at guys like Butler,Jordan,Aldridge and see if something sticks. If it does great if not, stay the course and create more cap for 2016. I can say i would be so excited to get a player like Aldridge in here.

« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2015, 09:40:03 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2528
Throw some max deals around and see if one sticks. I think Danny is really eyeing 2016 FA class. But throw some deals at guys like Butler,Jordan,Aldridge and see if something sticks. If it does great if not, stay the course and create more cap for 2016. I can say i would be so excited to get a player like Aldridge in here.

Hard not to like Aldridge, but he's a guy who seems like he should be 27, but will actually be 30 by next season.  Not old -- but definitely getting there if we are talking 3-4 years till contention.

« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2015, 09:40:47 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I've always wanted to like David Lee.  Such a productive player despite physical limitations.  But yeah, never figured out how to not be so horrible defensively that his team is actually better with him on the floor.

Sullinger is a lot like David Lee, actually, except he's trying to add 3 point range to his game.  Lee is more athletic than Sully, though.

Lee is a better passer, too -- and generally he's an all around better offensive talent.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2015, 10:03:02 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
   Great comparison.

« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2015, 10:03:38 AM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
I mean, does anyone really think that DeAndre Jordan or LaMarcus Aldridge will give up a 5th year of max money to sign with Boston? I don't. Not when both of their current franchises are much closer to a ring than Boston would be should either (not both, not enough cap space) come aboard.

They won't sign long term deals anyway because they want to take advantage of next years projected cap increase.  You'll probably see 1+PO so that they are FA again next year.

Even so, why would Aldridge or Jordan jump ship to a lesser team?

BTW, I believe max contracts for Jordan and Aldridge would be 30% of the cap, or roughly $20 million.

DJ certainly isn't the center piece of that team in LA. Sign a 1 yr Max in Boston where he will may be more of an all around player than just Defense. That'll raise his value for the next year. Can't use this argument with Aldridge

« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2015, 10:47:02 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Primary roles

5- Defensive
4- Stretch with an Inside Game - combine Sully and Olynyk
3- Creator and Scorer
2- 3+D
1- Facilitator and Scorer

I have a feeling that KO and Sully might not be here in the long haul or in Ainge's long term plans.

« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2015, 10:54:00 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Primary roles

5- Defensive
4- Stretch with an Inside Game - combine Sully and Olynyk
3- Creator and Scorer
2- 3+D
1- Facilitator and Scorer

I have a feeling that KO and Sully might not be here in the long haul or in Ainge's long term plans.

I think at least one of them will be gone by summer of 2016.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2015, 05:07:33 PM »

Offline HeadDoctorJ

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 9
Had another idea.

How desperate are the Kings to shed Jason Thompson's contract? I'd heard rumors they were keen on doing so in the days before last trade deadline.

Ainge could slot Thompson into the Prince TPE. Would adding the #16 pick be enough to pry the Kings' 1st rounder from them on Draft Night? If not, what else in his cupboard might Ainge need to add?
TP.  As I was reading through the thread I was thinking about this too, but you beat me too it.  I have no idea if that would be agreeable to the Kings, but it seems in the ballpark to me.  And if Justise Winslow or D'Angelo Russell somehow was still on the board at #6 that'd be a dream.

The Kings just strike me as a team that will be looking for a partner for a salary dump to sign a splashy free agent, or a facilitator in a 3-way deal to make a bigger deal work and I could envision them making a shortsighted decision to do either that we could hopefully be the beneficiary of.
Thompson is way overpaid but hes not overpaid to the point where Sacremento is going to give up a top 6 pick for him. I think if we got #12 for AB, threw in Sully or KO and say 33 AND THEN we ate Thompsons salary. Then maybe. I mean hes contract is bad but its not David Lee bad.

I agree, I think Sacto needs a little more. I don't think they'd pass up on Winslow or Russell.

But, if they should slip from #6 (someone moves up), and the consensus top-6 are off the board, I think they could be open to a move.

Maybe Turner, Olynyk, #16, 2016 MIN 1st to Sacto for #6 and Thompson

Then AB to Utah; #12, #33, and a 2016 2nd rounder to DET/DEN/CHA for #7/#8/#9

snag WCS & Hezonja

« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2015, 05:19:10 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Approx cap space currently available - $25 million
G Wallace =$10 million

Cap space potentially available $35 million

Free Agents to pursue:
Targets: C Gasol (unlikely), PFC Aldridge, PF Love, C D Jordan, C G Monroe, PF Millsap

sign Aldridge and D Jordan will take up ~$36-38 million of cap space (short $2-3 million)
max contracts for each approx $18-19 million.

1) Trade G Wallace + future #1 pick for cap space

2) Trade Olynyk AND Sullinger ($3.5 mm out) + #28 OR #33 pick to Portland for Meyers Leonard ($2.3 mm IN) and Aldridge (S&T)  [created another $1.5 cap space]

3) Sign DeAndre Jordan

4) S&T using $12.9mm Rondo exception + future #2 for a scoring wing (M Ellis, Middleton)

Roster
Smart, Thomas
Middleton, Bradley
Turner, Young
Aldridge, Leonard
Jordan, Zeller
If I'm not mistaken rookie contracts do not add to the cap. Nope, just checked that and I am mistaken. Of course.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 05:43:18 PM by greece666 »