Author Topic: Are the last 20 NBA games going to be truly horrific?  (Read 3782 times)

Re: Are the last 20 NBA games going to be truly horrific?
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2018, 08:30:37 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Yes. But I've never had a problem with tanking. I mean these teams are out of it one way or another, and in some ways the purposeful losing just gives fans a reason to watch that they wouldn't otherwise have. Even if tanking didn't exist teams would still transition to giving playing time to young guys (who will likely help lose) just to see what they have. On top of all that its kind of fascinating to watch play out. I dont care about any of these teams (outside of the Lakers) and i will still pay attention.

They do make for some real cheap games to attend in markets that are otherwise very expensive. I would like to see some of these vets gets freed from these nonsense. Like why do the suns free monroe but keep chandler for the last moments he has of nba effectiveness.

He's like the ultimate locker room guy.  Chandler and Booker were in a Players' Tribune series, Rookie/Vet, in Booker's rookie year.  It's adorable, clay.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 09:21:33 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2018, 08:38:37 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The worst record right now has 18 wins, which is a lot higher than years past at this point. 

I mean these are the final win totals for every team at or below 25 wins the last few seasons

2017 - 20, 24
2016 - 10, 17, 21, 23
2015 - 16, 17, 21, 25
2014 - 15, 19, 23, 25
2013 - 20, 24, 25
2012* - 8.69, 24.85 (extrapolated to a full season)
2011 - 17, 19, 22, 23, 24, 24
2010 - 12, 15, 25

So only twice since 2010 has the worst team even had 20 wins (one of those was last year).  I would expect every team to have at least 20 wins this year.  So the reality is, there are a lot of bad teams, maybe even more than typical, but there are no super terrible teams, which just makes for a lot more parity.
Don't see the relevance. CC's point is about the number of teams close to the bottom and the amount of teams that will tank hard to get to the bottom. Don't see at all how many wins the bottom 6 or less teams over the past 7 years has anything to do with the subject.

Yea I thought he was supporting my point at first, but this aspect isn't really relevant. The issue is 8 teams with a legit shot at the number 1 pick whether they have 5, 15 or 22 wins. I think Silver sees this problem on the horizon for the rest of the season and may have fed into Cuban's fine being so large (600k). Trying to send a message to get ahead of it before things get really crazy.
I was supporting the point. In years past there have been truly terrible teams which isn't the case this year. Just a bunch of bad ones.  When there are truly terrible teams other bad teams have inflated win totals.  We are going to see a lot of teams in the low 20's in wins and very few in the upper 20's or low 30's like most years
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2018, 02:15:26 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
The worst record right now has 18 wins, which is a lot higher than years past at this point. 

I mean these are the final win totals for every team at or below 25 wins the last few seasons

2017 - 20, 24
2016 - 10, 17, 21, 23
2015 - 16, 17, 21, 25
2014 - 15, 19, 23, 25
2013 - 20, 24, 25
2012* - 8.69, 24.85 (extrapolated to a full season)
2011 - 17, 19, 22, 23, 24, 24
2010 - 12, 15, 25

So only twice since 2010 has the worst team even had 20 wins (one of those was last year).  I would expect every team to have at least 20 wins this year.  So the reality is, there are a lot of bad teams, maybe even more than typical, but there are no super terrible teams, which just makes for a lot more parity.
Don't see the relevance. CC's point is about the number of teams close to the bottom and the amount of teams that will tank hard to get to the bottom. Don't see at all how many wins the bottom 6 or less teams over the past 7 years has anything to do with the subject.

Yea I thought he was supporting my point at first, but this aspect isn't really relevant. The issue is 8 teams with a legit shot at the number 1 pick whether they have 5, 15 or 22 wins. I think Silver sees this problem on the horizon for the rest of the season and may have fed into Cuban's fine being so large (600k). Trying to send a message to get ahead of it before things get really crazy.
I was supporting the point. In years past there have been truly terrible teams which isn't the case this year. Just a bunch of bad ones.  When there are truly terrible teams other bad teams have inflated win totals.  We are going to see a lot of teams in the low 20's in wins and very few in the upper 20's or low 30's like most years

ESPN weighed in on this today, a few interesting nuggets including the concept of reverse using advanced analytics to put your worst team on the floor.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22573750/how-nba-bottom-dwellers-putting-tanking-clinic-nba
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 02:24:47 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2018, 10:52:46 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
Good call by the OP.  These games have been truly painful to watch, one after the next...

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2018, 01:21:23 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Good call by the OP.  These games have been truly painful to watch, one after the next...

Great post Tars. The Knicks and kings game or hawks and sun games were both "close games" but they really were not nba basketball. They are just weird situations where you have 40 year old Vince carter guarding Michael Beasley in crunch time. It feels like one of those big 3 league games...

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2018, 01:26:16 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

Great post Tars. The Knicks and kings game or hawks and sun games were both "close games" but they really were not nba basketball. They are just weird situations where you have 40 year old Vince carter guarding Michael Beasley in crunch time. It feels like one of those big 3 league games...

A friend from NY texted me tonight: "Lol. NYK gettin stomped out by the Kings. Might be a new low.  Though prob for the best to lose."

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2018, 01:39:19 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I, along with most of this blog, have followed the bottom feeders closely for the past few years and this is without a doubt the earliest, most widespread, most egregious tanking I've seen.

It's worse than tank for Wiggins. It's worse than last year. It's worse than 2 years ago. Hard to compare it to past years because I only usually pay attention to the trash when it affects us. 06-07 really felt awful but it felt like way fewer teams were trying to lose.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2018, 01:46:10 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

A friend from NY texted me tonight: "Lol. NYK gettin stomped out by the Kings. Might be a new low.  Though prob for the best to lose."
LOL..Your friend from NY, must have forgotten all those other "low" times like '85, '86, '87,  '02,  '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '15, and '16. Seems like the Knicks have had a whole lot of new "lows" over the last 30 years.

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2018, 06:27:51 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Looks like 9 teams want to lose. That makes it 30% of the league.
Since 2 teams compete for each game it makes it very likely that one of the 9 teams is on the floor.

So to answer;
Expect many unwatchable games late in the year, especially the double tank games.

However, we get some "playoff" games a month or two earlier, so we have some compensation.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2018, 08:02:07 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Looks like 9 teams want to lose. That makes it 30% of the league.
Since 2 teams compete for each game it makes it very likely that one of the 9 teams is on the floor.

So to answer;
Expect many unwatchable games late in the year, especially the double tank games.

However, we get some "playoff" games a month or two earlier, so we have some compensation.

Looks like Sac/Phx/Dal/Mem in the West and Atl/Orl/Chi/NYK in the East (with NYK having the biggest disadvantage with 24 wins already).

The silver lining in all of this? The Lakers won't be giving the Sixers a very good pick this year as they already have 28 wins (with a very small chance to convey to us) and BKN shouldn't be tanking at all, meaning the Cavs best asset should become worth a lot less.

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2018, 11:02:35 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
This season has a mid-90's feel.  For example, in 96/97 the Bulls won over 80%, the Heat and Jazz won over 70%, and the Knicks, Hawks, Pistons, Hornets, Rockets and Lakers were all 60% win teams (and the Blazers just missed).  But on the other side there were 6 teams below 30% and 3 others below 40%.  3 west teams made the playoffs below .500 and 1 east team missed the playoffs that was above .500.  It was basically a foregone conclusion that the Bulls would win the title, but people did hold out some hope for the Heat or Jazz making it a series.

This year, the top end isn't quite there with just the Rockets, Warriors, and Raptors above 70% and only the Celtics above 60%, but there are 3 teams above 58% and 3 more above 57%.  On the low end there are just 3 teams below 30%, but 6 other teams below 40%.  It doesn't appear anyone will make the playoffs with a below .500 win percentage but it looks like 2 might miss them that are above .500.  It also appears that the Warriors winning is a foregone conclusion, but people are hoping that they at least get challenged by Houston so it is more interesting.

Now in 97 the two worst teams (Vancouver and Boston) were a good deal lower than anyone else, so it wasn't quite the race to the bottom that might happen this year, but this year really does seem very similar to those mid to late 90's seasons, when there was an all time team with a lot of good, but not great, teams throughout the playoffs, and also a whole lot of downright awful teams at the bottom of the standings.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip