Author Topic: 2020 Red Sox Thread  (Read 81610 times)

Re: 2019 Red Sox Thread
« Reply #165 on: June 30, 2019, 04:37:00 PM »

Offline Never Nervous Pervis

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 16
What a year for John Henry, Tom Werner and the Fenway Sports Group.

Red Sox win the World Series, and now Liverpool wins the Champions League

Both franchises valued over $2B I believe.

That's two continents where John Henry and Tom Werner may never need to buy a drink again (North America, Europe).

Too bad this year's Red Sox team is an embarrassment and I've just about checked out. It's the John Henry pattern. Follow a World Series season with at least one, probably 2 really bad seasons. Then, when it starts to hit his wallet, then he starts fielding a competitive baseball team again. Rinse and repeat. First to worst, worst to first, yada yada.

I love that it's John Henry's fault — the owner of the highest payroll in baseball — for not fielding a competitive team this year.

Yeah, actually it is Henry's fault. He could've stepped in and told Dombrowski to lock down this blow-pen the Red Sox currently have and spent some money on some relievers and instead of buying another mansion and learjet. Don't buy what they try to sell you.

This is silly. The choice wasn't between some relievers and another mansion and learjet. The Red Sox are up against the luxury tax, which means they'll be paying a heavy tax (again) and losing 10 spots in next year's draft if they add any more salary.

The Red Sox have the highest payroll in the game for the second straight year. John Henry's more than done his part.

Maybe Dombrowski should have spent more wisely, like taken the $6 million he gave Steve Pearce and the $17 million a year he gave Eovaldi and invested in some quality bullpen arms.

« Reply #166 on: June 30, 2019, 10:36:29 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Their big problem is the Sandoval contract. They are paying him $19M to play for the Giants this year. Against their cap.
That cost them a better bullpen.

But this is a championship team and deserved better from management mistakes. True, both Pierce and Eovaldi have contributed zero so far this year. Maybe they will the 2nd half. But Henry consented to the Sandoval and Ramirez deals, and has to share the blame. He's a billionaire hedgefunder, and could afford the tax penalties. Besides, Dombrowski could have traded for relievers pre-season, and has done nothing.

If this were the Yankees in that situation, they just pay the millions in luxury taxes and strengthen their bullpen commensurate with the rest of the team. But the Yankees have the billion dollar Yes Network to pay for it--in every sports cable package across the country. And  they have much more media pressure on them to win than the Red Sox. If they don't win this year, they will implode.

If the Red Sox don't win...heck, they only win every five years anyways. You can look it up.

« Reply #167 on: July 04, 2019, 10:32:55 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Sox have gotten a new closer and I think it could work big time. Thoughts?

https://nesn.com/2019/07/breaking-red-sox-to-name-nathan-eovaldi-closer-after-return-from-il/

« Reply #168 on: July 04, 2019, 10:43:40 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

https://nesn.com/2019/07/breaking-red-sox-to-name-nathan-eovaldi-closer-after-return-from-il/
They need him in the bullpen more than they need a fifth starter. It also gets him contributing right away because they don't need two weeks were of rehab starts in Pawtucket to stretch him out to 6 innings of starting pitching. Of course, this is only a good move if he pitches like he did last October and November. Hopefully he will.

« Reply #169 on: July 04, 2019, 11:01:16 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Their big problem is the Sandoval contract. They are paying him $19M to play for the Giants this year. Against their cap.

But this is a championship team and deserved better from management mistakes. True, both Pierce and Eovaldi have contributed zero so far this year. Maybe they will the 2nd half. But Henry consented to the Sandoval and Ramirez deals, and has to share the blame. He's a billionaire hedgefunder, and could afford the tax penalties. Besides, Dombrowski could have traded for relievers pre-season, and has done nothing.

If this were the Yankees in that situation, they just pay the millions in luxury taxes and strengthen their bullpen commensurate with the rest of the team. But the Yankees have the billion dollar Yes Network to pay for it--in every sports cable package across the country. And  they have much more media pressure on them to win than the Red Sox. If they don't win this year, they will implode.

If the Red Sox don't win...heck, they only win every five years anyways. You can look it up.

What’s crazy is Sandoval has been giants best hitter this year

« Reply #170 on: July 04, 2019, 11:05:27 AM »

Offline TheBig3

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 18

Actually the Yankees haven’t been willing to pay luxury tax for the past couple of years

« Reply #171 on: July 07, 2019, 09:27:22 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

They need him in the bullpen more than they need a fifth starter. It also gets him contributing right away because they don't need two weeks were of rehab starts in Pawtucket to stretch him out to 6 innings of starting pitching. Of course, this is only a good move if he pitches like he did last October and November. Hopefully he will.

I agree with this. Not the way they drew it up, but at this point, the best move is moving Eovaldi to the bullpen and then acquiring another starter before the trade deadline. The number 5 spot in the rotation has been a black hole. Then, in the offseason they can re-assess and move Eovaldi back to the starting rotation for next season, if necessary.

Sox had a good road trip between Toronto and Detroit, going 5-1 (Price getting his 150th career win today) and can hopefully carry this momentum into the 2nd half.

That 4 hour rain delay yesterday was a nightmare!!

« Reply #172 on: July 07, 2019, 09:35:55 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
What a year for John Henry, Tom Werner and the Fenway Sports Group.

Red Sox win the World Series, and now Liverpool wins the Champions League

Both franchises valued over $2B I believe.

That's two continents where John Henry and Tom Werner may never need to buy a drink again (North America, Europe).

Too bad this year's Red Sox team is an embarrassment and I've just about checked out. It's the John Henry pattern. Follow a World Series season with at least one, probably 2 really bad seasons. Then, when it starts to hit his wallet, then he starts fielding a competitive baseball team again. Rinse and repeat. First to worst, worst to first, yada yada.

I love that it's John Henry's fault — the owner of the highest payroll in baseball — for not fielding a competitive team this year.

Yeah, actually it is Henry's fault. He could've stepped in and told Dombrowski to lock down this blow-pen the Red Sox currently have and spent some money on some relievers and instead of buying another mansion and learjet. Don't buy what they try to sell you.

This is silly. The choice wasn't between some relievers and another mansion and learjet. The Red Sox are up against the luxury tax, which means they'll be paying a heavy tax (again) and losing 10 spots in next year's draft if they add any more salary.

The Red Sox have the highest payroll in the game for the second straight year. John Henry's more than done his part.

Maybe Dombrowski should have spent more wisely, like taken the $6 million he gave Steve Pearce and the $17 million a year he gave Eovaldi and invested in some quality bullpen arms.

I agree, but as principal owner, I think it's also incumbent upon Henry to question Dombrowski. After all, Henry signs off on the checks. Why didn't he question DD in the offseason and say in his grim reaper voice "hey Dave, not for nothing, but we don't have a bullpen. Any idea why? How about we take this money I'm paying Eovaldi and Pearce and allocate it to acquiring a cheaper starter and a really good bullpen arm."

Also, Sox did raise ticket prices this year. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

« Reply #173 on: July 07, 2019, 10:27:12 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Price has really settled into Boston. Interesting that it did not happen overnight. Makes me wonder in other sports if certain players need to give it more then a few years to see if it can gel. 2015 he signed and it really did not come together til late in 18. Many wanted him gone in 2nd year and now, he is crucial to our success. He has shown a lot in being able to handle all that Boston media can dish and turn it into a plus after evolving and adapting.

« Reply #174 on: July 07, 2019, 10:42:06 PM »

Offline Hank Finkel

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41

I agree nick....Eovaldi needs to relieve because ownership and DD placed no allegiance to Kimbrel. So the team is in desperate straights with no pitching.  All because we had to pay Pierce and Eovaldi. So let him fill the savers roll now if it so easy to do (which I do not think is easy at all). This Red Sox team has scored more runs than the vaunted Yankees to date if my data is correct.  So if we get our pitching in order the second half could be fun. 

« Reply #175 on: July 08, 2019, 02:00:28 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Price has really settled into Boston. Interesting that it did not happen overnight. Makes me wonder in other sports if certain players need to give it more then a few years to see if it can gel. 2015 he signed and it really did not come together til late in 18. Many wanted him gone in 2nd year and now, he is crucial to our success. He has shown a lot in being able to handle all that Boston media can dish and turn it into a plus after evolving and adapting.

I agree. After putting together a strong season last year capped off by 3 postseason wins including the clinching win in the ALCS and World Series, everything seems to have turned around for him and I'm happy to see that.

As a fan, I was upset to hear the way he treated Dennis Eckersley on a team flight back in 2017 but I think Price has now withstood the test of time.

« Reply #176 on: July 08, 2019, 03:35:06 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Looks like the Sox will be in the market for a starting pitcher. Curious to see if they can acquire one. That 5th spot in the rotation has been horrendous and both Sale and Porcello haven't pitched well in their last 3 starts.

https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb-rumors-red-sox-aiming-161230244.html

« Reply #177 on: July 12, 2019, 05:31:31 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
World Series rematch tonight between LA Dodgers and Boston Red Sox!

Beat LA! (Even though the Dodgers should be the favorites and should probably win at Fenway Park after losing 3 straight to the Padres)

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #178 on: July 12, 2019, 09:17:58 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Beat LA! (Even though the Dodgers should be the favorites and should probably win at Fenway Park after losing 3 straight to the Padres)

Watching the game right now. Devers with a solo dinger and a RBI double.

« Reply #179 on: July 12, 2019, 09:37:34 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324

Watching the game right now. Devers with a solo dinger and a RBI double.

Devers hasn't cooled off a bit! And I can't believe how well E-Rod's doing tonight—if he can shut down a very talented Dodgers lineup, he should be able to shut down just about anyone.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis