Author Topic: 2020 Red Sox Thread  (Read 81634 times)

Re: 2019 Red Sox Thread
« Reply #150 on: June 01, 2019, 10:25:58 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
What a year for John Henry, Tom Werner and the Fenway Sports Group.

Red Sox win the World Series, and now Liverpool wins the Champions League

Both franchises valued over $2B I believe.

That's two continents where John Henry and Tom Werner may never need to buy a drink again (North America, Europe).

Too bad this year's Red Sox team is an embarrassment and I've just about checked out. It's the John Henry pattern. Follow a World Series season with at least one, probably 2 really bad seasons. Then, when it starts to hit his wallet, then he starts fielding a competitive baseball team again. Rinse and repeat. First to worst, worst to first, yada yada.

« Reply #151 on: June 01, 2019, 10:42:48 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

That's two continents where John Henry and Tom Werner may never need to buy a drink again (North America, Europe).

Too bad this year's Red Sox team is an embarrassment and I've just about checked out. It's the John Henry pattern. Follow a World Series season with at least one, probably 2 really bad seasons. Then, when it starts to hit his wallet, then he starts fielding a competitive baseball team again. Rinse and repeat. First to worst, worst to first, yada yada.

4 World Series in 15 years. What’s the problem?

« Reply #152 on: June 01, 2019, 10:46:11 PM »

Offline Never Nervous Pervis

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 16

I love that it's John Henry's fault — the owner of the highest payroll in baseball — for not fielding a competitive team this year.

« Reply #153 on: June 04, 2019, 05:31:23 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362

I love that it's John Henry's fault — the owner of the highest payroll in baseball — for not fielding a competitive team this year.

It really goes to show how difficult it is to repeat. I can imagine how challenging it must be after winning it all, to come back and mentally get yourself back to that place again to grind through the year.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #154 on: June 29, 2019, 05:16:24 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
London series vs Yankees..Yanks were up 11 and now only 4...17-13 in 8th...football score

On a different note, the Sox have blown 16 games due to no closer. That would put us near 60 wins and best if we had one. So crazy not to have a closer during regular season.

« Reply #155 on: June 29, 2019, 05:17:36 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
London series vs Yankees..Yanks were up 11 and now only 4...17-13 in 8th...football score

On a different note, the Sox have blown 16 games due to no closer. That would put us near 60 wins and best if we had one. So crazy not to have a closer during regular season.

Yeah...  Give us Kelly and Kimbrel, and this team is one of the best in baseball.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #156 on: June 29, 2019, 05:18:24 PM »

• Don Nelson

Yeah...  Give us Kelly and Kimbrel, and this team is one of the best in baseball.

Exactly! They better find someone but doubt they will go over cap.

« Reply #157 on: June 29, 2019, 05:28:51 PM »

• Don Nelson
2 men on and hear comes Bradley! Imagine coming back from 11 runs.

« Reply #158 on: June 29, 2019, 05:33:39 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Sox going to need a late touchdown drive to pull this one out. Where's Brady when you need him?

« Reply #159 on: June 30, 2019, 03:32:46 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Yeah, actually it is Henry's fault. He could've stepped in and told Dombrowski to lock down this blow-pen the Red Sox currently have and spent some money on some relievers and instead of buying another mansion and learjet. Don't buy what they try to sell you.

« Reply #160 on: June 30, 2019, 03:35:06 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Sox going to need a late touchdown drive to pull this one out. Where's Brady when you need him?

Awful. Not sure if anyone caught today's game but ERod had a gutsy start and the bullpen let up 10 runs!!!

Sox lost 12-8 and got swept in London.

Blow-pen lets up 21 runs in 2 games. If Sox are out of the race by end of July, not only should they sell but Dombrowski's job should be on the line. He went from assembling a World Series team to letting it completely collapse in one year, but not signing 2 relievers.

And John Henry should fire himself.

« Reply #161 on: June 30, 2019, 04:00:15 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I've always thought having a premier bullpen was a bit overrated, but seeing how this season has gone for the Sox, I may have to change my tune on this. Kimbrel seemed to be cracking at the seams last season so I am not heartbroken about him, but I was pretty upset when we let Kelly go. That guy was blistering and clutch. I imagine this will be addressed soon...and we are still totally in the wildcard race...but this has been ridiculous.

« Reply #162 on: June 30, 2019, 04:03:54 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

(Side Note: They should force the bullpen to swim back to the U.S instead of using their luxury plane)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #163 on: June 30, 2019, 04:09:39 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

(Side Note: They should force the bullpen to swim back to the U.S instead of using their luxury plane)

Lol. Yup. And if I'm a position player, the next time the bullpen coughs it up, I just walk right off the field.

« Reply #164 on: June 30, 2019, 04:12:29 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
I've always thought having a premier bullpen was a bit overrated, but seeing how this season has gone for the Sox, I may have to change my tune on this. Kimbrel seemed to be cracking at the seams last season so I am not heartbroken about him, but I was pretty upset when we let Kelly go. That guy was blistering and clutch. I imagine this will be addressed soon...and we are still totally in the wildcard race...but this has been ridiculous.

They could've also easily targeted other free agents like Britton or Ottavino (both of whom are on the Yankees)