Author Topic: Ainge got his big at pick 27. Welcome Robert Williams  (Read 43684 times)

Re: Ainge got his big at pick 27. Welcome Robert Williams
« Reply #375 on: June 25, 2018, 03:40:08 PM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656

Sure, I’ll just give you the rest of your natural life to queue up the good ole’ list of guys who were available at pick #27 with all those attributes, plus a 7’6” wingspan, 40” vertical and 240 pound NBA body at 20.

Hint: there are 0 such players, so maybe don’t sweat the impossible stuff so much.

People keep quoting his measurables as if they mean something.  They mean nothing if he can't harness them.  Maybe people need to watch more NFL drafts, or something, to understand how useless measurables are in the end. 

He can play, or learn to play, or he can't, regardless of his weight, wingspan, and jumping ability.

He averaged 12-8-1.4 on 56% shooting as a freshman playing in a bad system, with 2.7 blocks and .7 steals a game in 25 minutes. Other than Jaren Jackson Jr hitting 3’s and hitting a good FT%, which obviously do matter, Williams put up #4 pick in the draft #’s. He’d have been a top 12 pick last year.

You’re quoting intangibles as if they’re the only thing. Study up.

I didn't quote anything about intangibles.  You should read posts before replying to them, especially if you're going to get snarky with your response.

And you should learn what “harness” means, he is top 5 in several categories in the past 10 years of SEC play, including PER and defensive box plus minus. Sorry I said ‘intangibles’ instead of ‘measurements’, the hotness of your take must’ve blinded me.

Again, looking to the NFL for examples, one can just take a look at the frequent struggles of Heisman Trophy winners once they get to the NFL level.

Players and skills adapt to different levels differently, and that doesn't change based on what they did in college.  Every year, former college players with tremendous college numbers wash out in the NBA.  Hell, that's a huge part of why this guy fell to #27 in the first place.  If he can harness his talents in the NBA, he'll likely succeed.  If he can't, he'll certainly fail.

And, whether you like it or not, NBA prospects, particularly NBA prospects who are not lottery picks, fail a lot more often than they succeed.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #376 on: June 25, 2018, 06:36:56 PM »

Online tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
I don't get the "concerns" with Williams' ball handling skills ?

He is a center, not a guard. He has solid footwork on both ends. Looks like he can catch and score inside - we have enough big guys jacking up 3's, don't need another. We do need an athletic post player who rebounds and plays defense. Hope they can coach him to block shots and keep the ball in play - I'll never understand why so few defensive post players have emulated Bill Russell starting fast breaks with a block.

Last note on Williams - a few of his highlights show him catching the ball and scoring while running in traffic. One in particular, Williams catches the ball on the break, avoids a defender with a quick dribble at full speed and completes the layup smoothly.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #377 on: June 25, 2018, 07:29:41 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I’m curious about Draymonds stats in his first couple years.

Oh wait, no I’m not. He was useless.

Okay, admittedly, I've never been any semblance of a Draymond fan and certainly did not follow his career at any point, but in looking over his stats, dude was hardly useless during his first two seasons, imo. The only guy who warrants that label from said period with the Warriors is Momma There Goes That Man ::), who failed to utilize him correctly.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/greendr01.html
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 08:00:30 PM by Beat LA »

« Reply #378 on: June 25, 2018, 07:41:26 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Okay, admittedly, I've never been any semblance of a Draymond fan and certainly did not follow his career at any point, but in looking over his stats, dude was hardly useless. The only guy who warrants that label from said period with the Warriors is Momma There Goes That Man ::), who failed to utilize him correctly.

Draymond made Smart look like Kyrie his first year as a shooter.  37% from 2 and 21% from 3.  Oof.

« Reply #379 on: June 25, 2018, 07:46:47 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033

Okay, admittedly, I've never been any semblance of a Draymond fan and certainly did not follow his career at any point, but in looking over his stats, dude was hardly useless. The only guy who warrants that label from said period with the Warriors is Momma There Goes That Man ::), who failed to utilize him correctly.

His 1st year he was pretty useless. Maybe there were flashes, but 3/3 in 13 minutes with 33% FG, 21% 3PT and 53 total assists in 79 games is pretty useless. He was a decent defender for a rookie, but still... that's bad.

2nd year he became a really good defender and got better at everything else. 6/5 in 22 minutes wasn't amazing, but all of his percentages were up, assist rate almost doubled, and he became a legit defensive force.

3rd year he got starter minutes and another bump on percentages which made for an all-around pretty good year.

4th year he somehow made a leap and doubled his assists to become a triple double threat, and that's about his level now.

Quite the progression, really

« Reply #380 on: June 25, 2018, 08:35:48 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Draymond made Smart look like Kyrie his first year as a shooter.  37% from 2 and 21% from 3.  Oof.

And yet he somehow still managed to play in 79 games games and receive 13.4 minutes of playing time during his rookie campaign, not to mention the fact that he actually was a starter  in Golden State's only win against the Spurs in San Antonio during that 2013 Western Conference semifinal series.

Besides, I'm not comparing Green to Smart, at all. Rather, I'm comparing him to Yabusele.

His 1st year he was pretty useless. Maybe there were flashes, but 3/3 in 13 minutes with 33% FG, 21% 3PT and 53 total assists in 79 games is pretty useless. He was a decent defender for a rookie, but still... that's bad.

2nd year he became a really good defender and got better at everything else. 6/5 in 22 minutes wasn't amazing, but all of his percentages were up, assist rate almost doubled, and he became a legit defensive force.

3rd year he got starter minutes and another bump on percentages which made for an all-around pretty good year.

4th year he somehow made a leap and doubled his assists to become a triple double threat, and that's about his level now.

Quite the progression, really

Yeah, except that, when compared to Yabusele, Green, as a second round pick, mind you, still managed to receive playing time on a rather stacked team which had hardly suffered the injuries that were endured by Boston, this year.

Plus, and as you said, yourself, at least Green had shown, early on, promise as a defender, whereas Yabusele has yet to show any single quality/skill on which he can hang his hat, so to speak, and as was previously mentioned by another poster, iirc.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 09:34:16 PM by Beat LA »

« Reply #381 on: June 25, 2018, 09:31:50 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Right now, I am expecting some summer league dunks and to make it interesting.   I am not expecting much this season from Rob Williams but I would love to be wrong.

I wanted to see Bird play and Now I am excited for Williams and I hope to see some offensive Semi.  I think it is sink or swim for Yabusele.  But I hope we see some high flying.

« Reply #382 on: June 25, 2018, 09:33:23 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Right now, I am expecting some summer league dunks and to make it interesting.  I wanted to see Bird play and Now I am excited for Williams and I hope to see some offensive Semi.

I think it is sink or swim for Yabusele.

Don't worry - dat bootay makes him buoyant, lol ;) ::) ;D.

« Reply #383 on: June 26, 2018, 10:10:04 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I think we sometimes get too mixed up in worrying about 2-3 inches when it just doesn't matter that much. I think physical strength matters a lot more when it comes to how big of a position a player can play (and quickness is what matters going the other direction). Obviously it doesn't matter how strong Marcus Smart is, he'll never truly be able to bother someone's shot who is 8" taller but I don't think 4" matters nearly as much defensively if a player has the desire and the strength to not get bullied.

The pic above of Ben Wallace standing next to Bill Russell is evidence of that. Same goes for Semi be able to hold position in the post against some big centers this past year.

Just watching highlights, I'm not worried about his size or, obviously, his athleticism. His success in the NBA will be determined by his IQ and work ethic.
That's just wrong

Smart completely lock down Kristaps Porzingis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn15jiu7eQQ
tp

Double TP.

While I'm skeptical that Marcus Smart could effectively guard Porzingis for a whole game, that proves the point I'm making about how we get too caught up in a couple of inches of height that don't actually make much difference on the court.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008