Author Topic: Timelord extension - what is he worth?  (Read 6446 times)

Timelord extension - what is he worth?
« on: January 27, 2021, 11:08:08 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Currently, what is he worth in the open market?

Predict ultimately what Danny will give him for his next deal

Re: Timelord extension - what is he worth?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 11:17:06 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
not sure what dollar amount.

But Just want to say I really like him and he's incredibly young and inexperienced still.  In other words, I think he can mature into an excellent player for the C's.

He has some things that are hard to teach...passing skills for instance.  Definitely think he should be invested in, just have not idea what that means money wise...

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 11:41:48 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I like TL and hope we are able to hold on to him after next season; but if he doesn't make a big jump, he would be hard pressed to get more than the tax payer MLE. Okay Centers just aren't at a big premium right now - especially those who can't cover the PnR on D.

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 12:05:39 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Wait to see the contract that Allen signs for the cavs next year and 60% of that should be market rate for timelord . What he signs for could be completely different though

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 12:18:35 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Somewhere between the room exception and the non-taxpayer MLE.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 12:19:03 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Do you agree to an extension, I think we would at least have to pay him more than the MLE. So, $10 million per year?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 12:39:49 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
He seems to have leveled off.  I was hoping for a bigger jump to his game this year, but without a normal offseason maybe that was expecting too much.  Still only 23 hope there is something else in there. 

It’s a big question though is what do you pay him, because you also have Theis’s looming free agency, and Thompson on the books next year for 12 mil.  We might also have another big salary on our hands with the TPE.  So maybe he could be a trade candidate.

Correct me in wrong but I think he won’t be a restricted free agent until after the 21-22 season so maybe we can hold off a decision until then to see how much he improves.

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2021, 12:43:36 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
He's still pretty raw.  Looks truly awesome at times, at other times barely makes an impact.

Physically he should be able to be an awesome defender.

In practice he's more of an offensive piece.

Right now he's the third most reliable and therefore useful center on the team.

I wouldn't give him an extension right now unless it's a really great deal.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2021, 12:45:16 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
He seems to have leveled off.  I was hoping for a bigger jump to his game this year, but without a normal offseason maybe that was expecting too much.  Still only 23 hope there is something else in there. 

It’s a big question though is what do you pay him, because you also have Theis’s looming free agency, and Thompson on the books next year for 12 mil.  We might also have another big salary on our hands with the TPE.  So maybe he could be a trade candidate.

Correct me in wrong but I think he won’t be a restricted free agent until after the 21-22 season so maybe we can hold off a decision until then to see how much he improves.

Its because Kemba nor Smart or the other starters know how to utilize him on offense.  They do it per design plans in a series against the Raptors for example. 

Pritchard knows how to really use Timelord on the offensive end

If Timelord played on the Nets, that would be scary. With Irving and Harden lobbing it to him frequently

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2021, 12:47:22 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Do you agree to an extension, I think we would at least have to pay him more than the MLE. So, $10 million per year?

I think so also

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2021, 12:51:38 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
We should keep Theis if Timelord costs $10M. Based on what does he deserve that much ?

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2021, 12:53:55 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I would want to see how he develops this year and next before making any concrete decisions. If by the time the trade deadline comes around next season he is still what he is now, I say you move him in a trade as maybe he just isn't going to reach his potential ceiling.

But, if he improves to the point where his mistakes are minimal and he is a double double starter, you have to lock him up with a contract of about 4 years $50 million or so.

Anything in between, prorate.

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2021, 12:57:48 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
We should keep Theis if Timelord costs $10M. Based on what does he deserve that much ?

If you project him to become our starting center by next season, $10 mm per for 2 years with team option for a 3rd year would be a good contract.

If you project him to be our 3rd string center, then you let him test the market, and run the risk that a team with a lot of cap space signs him to a Myles Turner sized contract, and then listen to the NKY fans cry about Danny screwing up.

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2021, 01:00:23 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I didnt necessarily say he was worth that, I said that that is what it would take for him to agree to an extension. Otherwise, he should just bet on himself and hit free agency.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2021, 01:10:33 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell

If you project him to become our starting center by next season, $10 mm per for 2 years with team option for a 3rd year would be a good contract.

If you project him to be our 3rd string center, then you let him test the market, and run the risk that a team with a lot of cap space signs him to a Myles Turner sized contract, and then listen to the NKY fans cry about Danny screwing up.
I love having that luxury 🤣. I’m not getting paid to make  roster decisions but can critique those decisions in hindsight lol