Author Topic: Why Ojeleye instead of Robert Williams?  (Read 6863 times)

Re: Why Ojeleye instead of Robert Williams?
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2019, 02:33:31 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
There's got to be something that they've seen in Timelord, maybe in practice, that has made Brad and the rest of the brains trust to hold Timelord back. Maybe he's struggling to adapt do the always-switch defense. I've seen him overhelp numerous times and leave his man open, maybe he's not quite on par with the defensive schemes. Must be some structural stuff that we the fans are missing.

Also Ojeleye can stretch the floor and hit the occasional 3...even Yabu. We know how much Brad values positionless basketball. Maybe Timelord needs to get some tips from Baynes on how to shoot 3s this summer.

Brad makes mistakes. I would be giving Williams playing time to get him ready for the playoffs. He is already a better player than Ojeleye.

Did anybody watch the Bucks series last year? Ojeleye's defense on Giannis was very good - easily second best after Horford. Morris didn't have a prayer, last year or last night.

Of course Ojeleye did not stop Giannis - nobody does - but O made him work and let us minimize help. From a backup wing that's outstanding.  If he can also pull his man out to the three point line - which he can - it's a pretty easy decision to play him.

Yabu is a little harder to understand. I really, really don't think there is an unthinking prejudice against rookies. Tatum started in game 1 last year. Williams doesn't play because he still has so much to learn about where to be on the court and when to use that phenomenal leaping ability.

Now imagine what Williams with his length could do.

He blocked Anthony Davis' shot twice in limited minutes.

True. And RWill also blew a few rotations in that game (and others) that led to easy dunks. How does that grade out? My bet is that Brad and his staff have better numbers than anybody on this board.

But even if you like RWill  better than Semi in the abstract, they defend different types of players. Semi can guard Giannis and also guards and wings. Williams really has trouble with guards and wings. So, if Williams is taking somebody else's minutes, it should be Theis or maybe Yabu. 

RWill is a really promising 1 on 1 defender on the blocks, but in addition to his need to learn the team schemes he has trouble on the perimeter one-on-one. Watch his body - he rarely bends his knees to sit down into a defensive stance, and I think this is one reason he doesn't move well enough to keep guards and small forwards in front of him or channel them into help.

« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2019, 02:37:06 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
It's really very simple. Besides playing different positions Semi, at this time, is just a much better NBA player. Again, that's right now. In two years Williams could be the much better player, but right now, he just isn't and doesn't deserve minutes guarding the league's future MVP.

« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2019, 02:51:29 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
It's really very simple. Besides playing different positions Semi, at this time, is just a much better NBA player. Again, that's right now. In two years Williams could be the much better player, but right now, he just isn't and doesn't deserve minutes guarding the league's future MVP.

Semi is not a better player. Not by any measure.
Still waiting for Semi to block Anthony Davis' shot twice in one game.

Also, someone mentioned missed rotations. Tatum misses ten rotations a game at least.

« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2019, 02:52:14 PM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
There's got to be something that they've seen in Timelord, maybe in practice, that has made Brad and the rest of the brains trust to hold Timelord back. Maybe he's struggling to adapt do the always-switch defense. I've seen him overhelp numerous times and leave his man open, maybe he's not quite on par with the defensive schemes. Must be some structural stuff that we the fans are missing.

Also Ojeleye can stretch the floor and hit the occasional 3...even Yabu. We know how much Brad values positionless basketball. Maybe Timelord needs to get some tips from Baynes on how to shoot 3s this summer.

Brad makes mistakes. I would be giving Williams playing time to get him ready for the playoffs. He is already a better player than Ojeleye.

Did anybody watch the Bucks series last year? Ojeleye's defense on Giannis was very good - easily second best after Horford. Morris didn't have a prayer, last year or last night.

Of course Ojeleye did not stop Giannis - nobody does - but O made him work and let us minimize help. From a backup wing that's outstanding.  If he can also pull his man out to the three point line - which he can - it's a pretty easy decision to play him.

Yabu is a little harder to understand. I really, really don't think there is an unthinking prejudice against rookies. Tatum started in game 1 last year. Williams doesn't play because he still has so much to learn about where to be on the court and when to use that phenomenal leaping ability.

Now imagine what Williams with his length could do.

He blocked Anthony Davis' shot twice in limited minutes.

True. And RWill also blew a few rotations in that game (and others) that led to easy dunks. How does that grade out? My bet is that Brad and his staff have better numbers than anybody on this board.

But even if you like RWill  better than Semi in the abstract, they defend different types of players. Semi can guard Giannis and also guards and wings. Williams really has trouble with guards and wings. So, if Williams is taking somebody else's minutes, it should be Theis or maybe Yabu. 

RWill is a really promising 1 on 1 defender on the blocks, but in addition to his need to learn the team schemes he has trouble on the perimeter one-on-one. Watch his body - he rarely bends his knees to sit down into a defensive stance, and I think this is one reason he doesn't move well enough to keep guards and small forwards in front of him or channel them into help.

But see, this is the problem I have....he shouldn't be out there like that. That's not his strength, so why try to force him to be Pippen.

Switching every man every time is the problem. It should be used to surprise teams at certain times, because the roster is filled with good one on one defenders.

They can never just sit down and stop anyone cause they're too busy running around trying to find where the hell one of 5 guys went.

Too much confusion and not enough using their strength.

And wait now...so Davis is gonna be running around on the perimeter chasing the Curry's, Hardens, and Westbrooks?

That'll be another 50 win team that doesn't use their strengths.

« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2019, 04:14:53 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Also, someone mentioned missed rotations. Tatum misses ten rotations a game at least.
Your opinion. The coaching staff has a very different one otherwise Williams would be playing, especially with Baynes out. But Williams isn't playing and the reason is simple the coaches think, and they are right, that Williams just isn't good enough to take minutes from Baynes, Theis, Horford, Yabu or Semi.

« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2019, 04:19:13 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Ojeleye was still better than Yabu. Was effectively 4v8 when Yabu was on

Yeah, it's Yabu who should be the focus of the criticism here - not Ojeleye. Another incredibly dumb decision by the coaching staff. Actually, Williams would seemingly be an ideal backup big with Baynes out for a team like Milwaukee. It's just more baffling rotation decisions by Brad - nothing new here.

I was surprised to see Yabu in the game.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2019, 04:43:15 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.

Yeah, it's Yabu who should be the focus of the criticism here - not Ojeleye. Another incredibly dumb decision by the coaching staff. Actually, Williams would seemingly be an ideal backup big with Baynes out for a team like Milwaukee. It's just more baffling rotation decisions by Brad - nothing new here.
Me too. Our bench is usually better than the other teams but not last nigt. No Heyward hurt. Yabu looked lost.

"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2019, 05:08:29 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo

Your opinion. The coaching staff has a very different one otherwise Williams would be playing, especially with Baynes out. But Williams isn't playing and the reason is simple the coaches think, and they are right, that Williams just isn't good enough to take minutes from Baynes, Theis, Horford, Yabu or Semi.

Or they don't want to mess up the pecking order.

« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2019, 05:23:08 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Or they don't want to mess up the pecking order.

A few commenters have suggested that Brad doesn't like playing rookies. He started Tatum in game 1 of his rookie season - because the kid was ready for it. He disrupted the pecking order this year by putting Smart in the starting lineup and moving Gordon in the second unit. Maybe he's missing an opportunity, but I don't see him as a coach who's afraid to shake up the rotations when somebody earns minutes.

What's more likely - that he's protecting Theis' feelings by not moving RWIII ahead of him, or that he doesn't believe RWIII is ready for those minutes?

« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2019, 06:28:46 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Williams physical attributes may far outweigh his mental at this point. Missing rotations is more about not recognizing the rotations, it's more mental having to do with court vision. Hopefully, it will come with more experience.

Or it may never come. There are rookie centers in the NBA playing regularly doing a pretty good job with it.   

« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2019, 06:30:10 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
to me the problem is 9-27 irving instead of more shots for 7-13 tatum.  They have to feed the hot hand more and the guys who are cold have to shoot less.  Not stop shooting, just shoot less.

I'm a big Irving fan, but I agree that he should have distributed the ball better. Brown and Tatum should have gotten a lot more shots. This was a very winnable game last night.

Funny thing was I thought Tatum was having a mediocre game watching it until I checked the stats and saw he had 15 points.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2019, 12:08:24 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
So do people understand that Williams isn’t really ready to contribute at a high level right now?  Sure, he’ll go all out for blocks but other than that, he’s a liability.

« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2019, 01:09:34 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
So do people understand that Williams isn’t really ready to contribute at a high level right now?  Sure, he’ll go all out for blocks but other than that, he’s a liability.

And the rebounding and the passing and the finishing inside.

« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2019, 07:38:51 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

The very few times Yabu has played meaningful minutes in the last month or so I think he has played very well positional defense and rotating just fine.  Being light on his feet helps him a lot.  He gets dumped on a a lot, but I still think he has potential as a solid rotation player.  He is just buried on a deep team trying to win.

« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2019, 09:10:15 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Yabu shouldn’t be playing if u ask me. He looks lost on both ends. At least RW - even if he’s lost - can save u a couple of baskets. I’ll take 4 saved points vs 1 made 3-pointer
- LilRip