Author Topic: Jazz (39-22) at Celtics (42-19) Game #62 3/6/20  (Read 31766 times)

Re: Jazz (39-22) at Celtics (42-19) Game #62 3/6/20
« Reply #315 on: March 06, 2020, 10:52:30 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Meanwhile - in NO, Zion and Co. is holding court for BOS - keeping MIA at bay.

« Reply #316 on: March 06, 2020, 10:53:41 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Hahahhahahahah great job with the bench Ainge! Have to put buns out there like Wanamaker.  Basically screwed the The 2nd seed and beyond by having a weak inexperienced bench. How many games will it cost this team? How will it show up in the playoffs? Great job Ainge! Keep living off the Garnett trade.

I agree that Ainge shouldve shored up our bench somehow. But to insinuate that he is a bad GM who just got lucky due to the KG trade in 07 is just plain stupid. The mere fact that we are fighting for 2nd seed is an indicator that he isnt a bad GM.

Ainge is a great GM but he needs to get his hands out of his pockets.

And do WHAT exactly? You keep banging that drum that Danny should've done something. But have you got even the slightest example of a scenario that is A) realistic and B) legitimately going to have moved the needle?
At this point, any addition to our bench is a plus.

No, it isn't.

Our bench couldn't possibly get any worse with losing one of those guys

Arguably true in isolation, but that means burning out our starters, who are fragile enough as it is right now. If (and it's a big if) we can get them team healthy for the playoffs the bench won't be quite as big of an issue, but it's something that can only be addressed where it will make a real difference in the off season.

Yeah, I get that it may be jumping the shark. But I just am not comfortable with waiting and seeing if they won't be needed in the post season.

Danny's smart enough to know you don't make a move just for the sake of making a move.

Their bench is atrocious so it wouldn’t be making a move for the sake of making a move. How did Philly grab two players without giving anything up who would immediately be the Celtics two best bench players if the played for Boston? People have to stop making excuses for Danny. He has more than likely screwed this team this year unless everyone gets miraculous healthy and no one gets hurt the rest of the way. Good luck with that.

Philly traded guys. Most of our guys are on rookie deals and we dont have a roster spot. I was fine with standing pat on the deadline. but at the least we couldve gotten someone from the buyout market. Green-Wanamaker combo is just that brutal.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 12:03:38 AM by nickagneta »

« Reply #317 on: March 06, 2020, 10:57:56 PM »

Offline Scottiej23

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 214
Hahahhahahahah great job with the bench Ainge! Have to put buns out there like Wanamaker.  Basically screwed the The 2nd seed and beyond by having a weak inexperienced bench. How many games will it cost this team? How will it show up in the playoffs? Great job Ainge! Keep living off the Garnett trade.

I agree that Ainge shouldve shored up our bench somehow. But to insinuate that he is a bad GM who just got lucky due to the KG trade in 07 is just plain stupid. The mere fact that we are fighting for 2nd seed is an indicator that he isnt a bad GM.

And do WHAT exactly? You keep banging that drum that Danny should've done something. But have you got even the slightest example of a scenario that is A) realistic and B) legitimately going to have moved the needle?

No, it isn't.

Arguably true in isolation, but that means burning out our starters, who are fragile enough as it is right now. If (and it's a big if) we can get them team healthy for the playoffs the bench won't be quite as big of an issue, but it's something that can only be addressed where it will make a real difference in the off season.

Yeah, I get that it may be jumping the shark. But I just am not comfortable with waiting and seeing if they won't be needed in the post season.

Danny's smart enough to know you don't make a move just for the sake of making a move.

Their bench is atrocious so it wouldn’t be making a move for the sake of making a move. How did Philly grab two players without giving anything up who would immediately be the Celtics two best bench players if the played for Boston? People have to stop making excuses for Danny. He has more than likely screwed this team this year unless everyone gets miraculous healthy and no one gets hurt the rest of the way. Good luck with that.

Philly traded guys. Most of our guys are on rookie deals and we dont have a roster spot. I was fine with standing pat on the deadline. but at the least we couldve gotten someone from the buyout market. Green-Wanamaker combo is just that brutal.

Yeah, can't see Green in green next season. While I'm not an expert, I think also it is somehow quite beneficial to stay where we are, salary-wise, until next season to avoid/mitigate repeater taxes as well.

I'm fine with standing pat this season. nobody had legitimate title expectations this season, but our record so far indicates that at least we are in the discussion of being in the race if the stars aligned.

That said, I am fully expecting roster upgrades that address weaknesses identified this year.

« Reply #318 on: March 06, 2020, 10:59:40 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106

No, it isn't.

Any move where you exchange a likely 30th pick for a bench player at the deadline can be classified as a move for the sake of making a move.... sometimes you just have to roll the dice

« Reply #319 on: March 06, 2020, 11:01:07 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell

No, it isn't.

Yeah, can't see Green in green next season. While I'm not an expert, I think also it is somehow quite beneficial to stay where we are, salary-wise, until next season to avoid/mitigate repeater taxes as well.

I'm fine with standing pat this season. nobody had legitimate title expectations this season, but our record so far indicates that at least we are in the discussion of being in the race if the stars aligned.

That said, I am fully expecting roster upgrades that address weaknesses identified this year.
We can’t upgrade the roster and avoid the tax at the same time next season

« Reply #320 on: March 06, 2020, 11:02:01 PM »

Offline Scottiej23

• Jayson Tatum

No, it isn't.

Isn't there some advantage by being where we are cap wise this season, to avoid or reduce future repeater tax? So next season we can be above the cap, but it won't cost as much?

« Reply #321 on: March 06, 2020, 11:04:59 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177

Ainge is a great GM but he needs to get his hands out of his pockets.see every other top playoff team

It's hard to know exactly what deals are out there but there were a lot of buyout guys that all signed with other teams and it's also hard to know who's going to be a difference-maker but I believe that it's the GMs job to go out and get some playable NBA players if you want to make a run in the playoffs. I can see every other NBA GM doing that so I figured our GM, who is one of the best in the league, could do it too.

So no examples then? Just a move for the sake of a move would've done? I mean, for starters, not every contending team made a move and your argument seems to indicate that every move that was made is going to be an improvement. It's just not that simple.

Danny did no deals so there were none to do? Other GMs made deals. All the top teams added to there rosters for the playoff runs except one.

« Reply #322 on: March 06, 2020, 11:06:02 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell

No, it isn't.

Isn't there some advantage by being where we are cap wise this season, to avoid or reduce future repeater tax? So next season we can be above the cap, but it won't cost as much?
We are above the cap right now. The trick is to be close to the cap if you exceed it. Next year Jaylens salary quadruples so we will be way above the cap

« Reply #323 on: March 06, 2020, 11:06:24 PM »

Offline Scottiej23

• Jayson Tatum

Ainge is a great GM but he needs to get his hands out of his pockets.see every other top playoff team

It's hard to know exactly what deals are out there but there were a lot of buyout guys that all signed with other teams and it's also hard to know who's going to be a difference-maker but I believe that it's the GMs job to go out and get some playable NBA players if you want to make a run in the playoffs. I can see every other NBA GM doing that so I figured our GM, who is one of the best in the league, could do it too.

So no examples then? Just a move for the sake of a move would've done? I mean, for starters, not every contending team made a move and your argument seems to indicate that every move that was made is going to be an improvement. It's just not that simple.

Danny did no deals so there were none to do? Other GMs made deals. All the top teams added to there rosters for the playoff runs except one.

Still got nothing then?

« Reply #324 on: March 06, 2020, 11:09:46 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

No, it isn't.

Any move where you exchange a likely 30th pick for a bench player at the deadline can be classified as a move for the sake of making a move.... sometimes you just have to roll the dice

We cant do that. We have a full roster. We need to trade 2 for 1 if we want to acquire someone at the deadline.

« Reply #325 on: March 06, 2020, 11:22:07 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Still got nothing then?

Yup a hole lot of nothing!

Big goose egg!

Waste of time!

NADA!

« Reply #326 on: March 06, 2020, 11:57:34 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Late January through early March is the dead period in the NBA.  Just getting through it healthy is really all that matters for teams that envision themselves as contenders.  I'm not terribly worried about a few losses here or there.

But, that aside, this team is only going as far as Tatum takes it, anyway.  No other player on the team has the ability to elevate themselves to the level it takes to win a title.  And in truth, it's probably a year or two too soon for him to sustain it through the playoffs.  I hope he can, but it would be extraordinary for Tatum to do so, given so few NBA players have ever achieved that level of success at his age.

« Reply #327 on: March 07, 2020, 12:01:51 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Late January through early March is the dead period in the NBA.  Just getting through it healthy is really all that matters for teams that envision themselves as contenders.  I'm not terribly worried about a few losses here or there.

But, that aside, this team is only going as far as Tatum takes it, anyway.  No other player on the team has the ability to elevate themselves to the level it takes to win a title.  And in truth, it's probably a year or two too soon for him to sustain it through the playoffs.  I hope he can, but it would be extraordinary for Tatum to do so, given so few NBA players have ever achieved that level of success at his age.

I agree. Health is the most important factor. The raps won it all last year because they were the healthier team. Tatum is our highest ceiling player but it would be nice if when he passes out of those double teams we had some players that could make other teams pay. The rest of the team needs to step up around Tatum,

« Reply #328 on: March 07, 2020, 12:32:54 AM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Sooo, is this pretty much what every game the rest of the season is going to be like? One or two key players out each game (even in the playoffs)? Guys playing hurt, playing weird minutes and odd rotations? The team hanging around but coming up short, even at home?
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #329 on: March 07, 2020, 01:27:44 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I missed the game again, from the box score looks like it was a close one. Smart with 15 3pt attempts, I have to watch the game so I will assume they were there to be taken.

Again just looking at the box score, Utah's starters all had on average -20ish plus minus while their bench all had +20ish. It was the reverse for our team. Wanamaker -25, ouch.

Any positives we can take from the game? And who's the pinata tonight?
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D