Author Topic: Jazz (39-22) at Celtics (42-19) Game #62 3/6/20  (Read 31785 times)

Re: Jazz (39-22) at Celtics (42-19) Game #62 3/6/20
« Reply #300 on: March 06, 2020, 10:34:12 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
This loss is fine. Houston and Brooklyn were brutal, this is fine.

Most concerning thing about this game was how lost TimeLord looked...

??

I'm not sure that I saw this at all. Yeah, he got lost on a few defensive possessions, but I thought he was pretty good overall. I mean, in just 16 minutes he grabbed 8 rebounds and had 3 blocks, and his presence clearly deters offensive guys unlike anyone else on our team.

I think Timelord also benefits from playing with the better guys more.

« Reply #301 on: March 06, 2020, 10:34:30 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
Good news is the Heat are losing.

But the 2 seed is becoming harder to reach

2-seed is not going to happen unless we get healthy. Are the top-7 just playing too many minutes to stay healthy - what is the problem ?
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #302 on: March 06, 2020, 10:36:15 PM »

Offline Scottiej23

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 214
Hahahhahahahah great job with the bench Ainge! Have to put buns out there like Wanamaker.  Basically screwed the The 2nd seed and beyond by having a weak inexperienced bench. How many games will it cost this team? How will it show up in the playoffs? Great job Ainge! Keep living off the Garnett trade.

I agree that Ainge shouldve shored up our bench somehow. But to insinuate that he is a bad GM who just got lucky due to the KG trade in 07 is just plain stupid. The mere fact that we are fighting for 2nd seed is an indicator that he isnt a bad GM.

Ainge is a great GM but he needs to get his hands out of his pockets.

And do WHAT exactly? You keep banging that drum that Danny should've done something. But have you got even the slightest example of a scenario that is A) realistic and B) legitimately going to have moved the needle?
At this point, any addition to our bench is a plus.

No, it isn't.

Our bench couldn't possibly get any worse with losing one of those guys

Arguably true in isolation, but that means burning out our starters, who are fragile enough as it is right now. If (and it's a big if) we can get them team healthy for the playoffs the bench won't be quite as big of an issue, but it's something that can only be addressed where it will make a real difference in the off season.

« Reply #303 on: March 06, 2020, 10:37:55 PM »

Offline Classical Human Being

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 3
Marcus Smart took 15 threes tonight.

Can any figure out why Smart gets the green light from Brad to do WHATEVER he wants?
"Borrow Diaw...What a classical Human being". - Bill Walton

"When I think of Borris Diaw, I think of Beethoven..and the age of the romantics." - Bill Walton.

« Reply #304 on: March 06, 2020, 10:38:53 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Hahahhahahahah great job with the bench Ainge! Have to put buns out there like Wanamaker.  Basically screwed the The 2nd seed and beyond by having a weak inexperienced bench. How many games will it cost this team? How will it show up in the playoffs? Great job Ainge! Keep living off the Garnett trade.

I agree that Ainge shouldve shored up our bench somehow. But to insinuate that he is a bad GM who just got lucky due to the KG trade in 07 is just plain stupid. The mere fact that we are fighting for 2nd seed is an indicator that he isnt a bad GM.

My take on this is the team is probably super tight and close to one another to the point that Danny is scared to cut one player for fear of disrupting the team’s chemistry. He doesn’t want a repeat of the Perk trade all over again, specially if it involves getting someone who really isn’t a game changer.

This is one of my hypothesis as well.

« Reply #305 on: March 06, 2020, 10:39:13 PM »

• Svi Mykhailiuk

And do WHAT exactly? You keep banging that drum that Danny should've done something. But have you got even the slightest example of a scenario that is A) realistic and B) legitimately going to have moved the needle?

No, it isn't.

Arguably true in isolation, but that means burning out our starters, who are fragile enough as it is right now. If (and it's a big if) we can get them team healthy for the playoffs the bench won't be quite as big of an issue, but it's something that can only be addressed where it will make a real difference in the off season.

Yeah, I get that it may be jumping the shark. But I just am not comfortable with waiting and seeing if they won't be needed in the post season.

"When I think of Borris Diaw, I think of Beethoven..and the age of the romantics." - Bill Walton.

« Reply #306 on: March 06, 2020, 10:40:21 PM »

Offline Banner18now!

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81

Great GM? One championship in almost 20 years and he’s great? Has he done some good things? Absolutely but he has also failed in the draft plenty of times and by sitting on his hands with these “assets” that aren’t amounting to anything. Keep stock piling draft picks and drafting average to below average talent. People complaining about Brad playing Wanamaker? I hate to break it to you but he’s a key piece of their bench right now lol. Thanks to Ainge.
Ainge has wasted this season. Hayward gets hurt every other game. He knew Kemba is going to to be dealing with a knee injury for the rest of the year. So yea just stand pat and rely on guys like Wanamaker, Edwards, Langford, Semi ect... yes let’s talk about how great Ainge is because of 2008. 

« Reply #307 on: March 06, 2020, 10:40:32 PM »

Offline Scottiej23

• Jayson Tatum

No, it isn't.

Yeah, I get that it may be jumping the shark. But I just am not comfortable with waiting and seeing if they won't be needed in the post season.

Danny's smart enough to know you don't make a move just for the sake of making a move.

« Reply #308 on: March 06, 2020, 10:40:53 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732

Can any figure out why Smart gets the green light from Brad to do WHATEVER he wants?

Smart threatened physical harm to Brad, who backed down immediately and told Marcus to shoot as much as he wanted.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #309 on: March 06, 2020, 10:43:17 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177

Ainge is a great GM but he needs to get his hands out of his pockets.see every other top playoff team

It's hard to know exactly what deals are out there but there were a lot of buyout guys that all signed with other teams and it's also hard to know who's going to be a difference-maker but I believe that it's the GMs job to go out and get some playable NBA players if you want to make a run in the playoffs. I can see every other NBA GM doing that so I figured our GM, who is one of the best in the league, could do it too. You carry all these G-League guys if you are rebuilding but not to make a push in the Playoffs.

« Reply #310 on: March 06, 2020, 10:45:49 PM »

Offline Banner18now!

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81

No, it isn't.

Danny's smart enough to know you don't make a move just for the sake of making a move.

Their bench is atrocious so it wouldn’t be making a move for the sake of making a move. How did Philly grab two players without giving anything up who would immediately be the Celtics two best bench players if the played for Boston? People have to stop making excuses for Danny. He has more than likely screwed this team this year unless everyone gets miraculous healthy and no one gets hurt the rest of the way. Good luck with that.

« Reply #311 on: March 06, 2020, 10:47:17 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1674

Sure.

Utah was devoting their entire defense to making sure that Kemba and Tatum don't beat them... and Smart was our next best option.

Sometimes the other team wins.  It is what it is.

« Reply #312 on: March 06, 2020, 10:48:01 PM »

Offline Scottiej23

• Jayson Tatum

Ainge is a great GM but he needs to get his hands out of his pockets.see every other top playoff team

It's hard to know exactly what deals are out there but there were a lot of buyout guys that all signed with other teams and it's also hard to know who's going to be a difference-maker but I believe that it's the GMs job to go out and get some playable NBA players if you want to make a run in the playoffs. I can see every other NBA GM doing that so I figured our GM, who is one of the best in the league, could do it too.

So no examples then? Just a move for the sake of a move would've done? I mean, for starters, not every contending team made a move and your argument seems to indicate that every move that was made is going to be an improvement. It's just not that simple.

« Reply #313 on: March 06, 2020, 10:51:31 PM »

• Svi Mykhailiuk

No, it isn't.

Making a move to improve the bench is not for the sake of making a move. If this bench has to be relied on, which they will for a little while, because starters need their rest, we already know they can't cut it. Do we assume that the starters can provide a cushion? Danny's decision making isn't gospel, and we don't truly know his logic.

« Reply #314 on: March 06, 2020, 10:52:17 PM »

• Svi Mykhailiuk

Sure.

Utah was devoting their entire defense to making sure that Kemba and Tatum don't beat them... and Smart was our next best option.

Sometimes the other team wins.  It is what it is.

I'm speaking generally, not so much about tonight. Smart gets the green light to shoot as much as he wants. He's an ineffecienct scorer.