Author Topic: Celtic Picks - 2019 draft  (Read 107830 times)

Re: Celtic Picks - 2019 draft
« Reply #465 on: May 18, 2019, 05:58:44 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I think the shot at good players, diamonds in rough, dries up around pick 40.....which is much later than usual.  In other words, better than usual chance at very good player in early second round. 

Samanic, Horton Tucker, bigs who fall, Windler, Porter Jr. if he falls, Roby, Paschall,  some guys worth a chance in there if we use up all our first rounders in trade and need to attain an early second.

My current wishes if we keep our firsts:

14.  Little, Bruno Fernando, Okpala, Alexander-Walker
20.  PJ Washington
22.  Grant Williams

Don't mind having both Washington and G. Williams.  Williams is a bit bigger (heavier) and they could play together in a smaller unit at center and power forward.

They are both intense, high IQ, leaderly types who can shoot from outside (especially Washington as a shooter). They can help direct Robert Williams on defense...be great in the locker room, learn from Horford very quickly, and add the toughness the Celtics will need.

Any combo of guys above would excite me on draft night.

« Reply #466 on: May 18, 2019, 06:28:29 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
I think the shot at good players, diamonds in rough, dries up around pick 40.....which is much later than usual.  In other words, better than usual chance at very good player in early second round. 

Samanic, Horton Tucker, bigs who fall, Windler, Porter Jr. if he falls, Roby, Paschall,  some guys worth a chance in there if we use up all our first rounders in trade and need to attain an early second.

20.  PJ Washington
22.  Grant Williams

Don't mind having both Washington and G. Williams.  Williams is a bit bigger (heavier) and they could play together in a smaller unit at center and power forward.

They are both intense, high IQ, leaderly types who can shoot from outside (especially Washington as a shooter). They can help direct Robert Williams on defense...be great in the locker room, learn from Horford very quickly, and add the toughness the Celtics will need.

If there is some way team gets Davis and still keeps pick 14, then Little is my top choice. COllege did not suite him and I think he will be another of those late lott/non lotto players that in a couple years time people question why 13 teams passed on him

« Reply #467 on: May 18, 2019, 07:01:33 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

20.  PJ Washington
22.  Grant Williams

If there is some way team gets Davis and still keeps pick 14, then Little is my top choice. COllege did not suite him and I think he will be another of those late lott/non lotto players that in a couple years time people question why 13 teams passed on him

I like him too.  Seems like a tough team player who has upside.  It will be tough to keep that pick.   It the main parts of an AD trade are Tatum, Smart, Grizzlies pick there is a chance I guess. 

« Reply #468 on: May 18, 2019, 07:24:30 PM »

Offline CelticsCeltics

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 3
Nic Claxton is super intriguing.  He’s currently 20 yrs old and was the de facto point guard for his team this year.

He is 7’0” tall with a 7’2 wingspan and is a terrific switch defender who can cover the pick and roll well and guard multiple positions.

He’s still raw offensively but has shown flashes of high level decision making while also shooting a high volume of threes which is encouraging even though the percentages aren’t good.  The Stepien did a great write-up:

https://www.thestepien.com/2019/03/22/draft-notes-nic-claxton-first-evaluation-can-matter/

He sounds like he has the skill set to become an adequate air to Al Horford if his shooting comes around.

He is a solid athlete with a good feel and defensive instincts on the perimeter and at the rim.

« Reply #469 on: May 18, 2019, 07:24:57 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Tyler Herro folks..been saying this for awhile..he may not be an All Star but can be a very productive player for years to come..a Mike Dunleavy type
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #470 on: May 18, 2019, 07:37:28 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Nic Claxton is super intriguing.  He’s currently 20 yrs old and was the de facto point guard for his team this year.

He is 7’0” tall with a 7’2 wingspan and is a terrific switch defender who can cover the pick and roll well and guard multiple positions.

He’s still raw offensively but has shown flashes of high level decision making while also shooting a high volume of threes which is encouraging even though the percentages aren’t good.  The Stepien did a great write-up:

https://www.thestepien.com/2019/03/22/draft-notes-nic-claxton-first-evaluation-can-matter/

He sounds like he has the skill set to become an adequate air to Al Horford if his shooting comes around.

He is a solid athlete with a good feel and defensive instincts on the perimeter and at the rim.
Its a real nice hype article but one I am not sure I am buying. I saw Georgia a couple times in January, mostly because  I was watching Tennessee  and Kentucky. At no time when watching those games did I think anyone on the Georgia team was good enough to make it at the next level. Maybe they were just bad games(I know UT beat them by like 35 or more that night, so very possible).

« Reply #471 on: May 18, 2019, 07:48:17 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523

20.  PJ Washington
22.  Grant Williams

Thanks to you and others in this thread who have provided a few names and concise details. Some of us here are interested in the draft but have absolutely no knowledge of college/European prospects.   It's good to have a few names I can root for based on CBlog recommendations.

On draft day -- how about some of the draft-knowledgeable bloggers sharing their "top 10 remaining players" (a la Kuiper) maybe after pick 10 or so. 

« Reply #472 on: May 18, 2019, 08:09:58 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421

20.  PJ Washington
22.  Grant Williams

I like all the players you list with the exception of Fernando. That’s not to say that I don’t think he could make it as an NBA player I don’t don’t like his fit with the Celtics because he doesn’t appear to have good instincts/IQ on Defense and I fear he would struggle to ever crack the rotation

As for Williams and Washington, I would really like to see the Cs land one of them, drafting both with Semi on the roster could also create problems. If given the choice I lean towards Washington with his length and outside shot. I am Not in any way saying the Cs should draft for need and not BPA but this draft has huge tiers and better fitting players will be available.

It also worth noting that the Cs are almost certain to trade one of their 1st or pick a draft and stash. I can’t see DA adding three rookies to next season roster.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #473 on: May 18, 2019, 08:49:48 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja
Lots of buzz at combine on Luka Samanic.

Thoughts?

Love him, one of my binkies along with Reddish/Little.

I think he's going to surprise a lot of people.
well, part of the reason for any surprise will be that no one is telling about him here.  ;) would you be able to share some links or info about him please?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #474 on: May 18, 2019, 09:38:44 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker

20.  PJ Washington
22.  Grant Williams

I like all the players you list with the exception of Fernando. That’s not to say that I don’t think he could make it as an NBA player I don’t don’t like his fit with the Celtics because he doesn’t appear to have good instincts/IQ on Defense and I fear he would struggle to ever crack the rotation

As for Williams and Washington, I would really like to see the Cs land one of them, drafting both with Semi on the roster could also create problems. If given the choice I lean towards Washington with his length and outside shot. I am Not in any way saying the Cs should draft for need and not BPA but this draft has huge tiers and better fitting players will be available.

It also worth noting that the Cs are almost certain to trade one of their 1st or pick a draft and stash. I can’t see DA adding three rookies to next season roster.

This draft is becoming bigs-centric in the area of our later picks....hard to know which one/s.  Both Washington and Williams I can picture fitting in Brad Steven's system. 

Fernando, Bassey, Kabengele, Gafford and others seem like they might have trouble getting into the rotation, as you mention, and I don't know which make most sense.  But Fernando seems like the highest upside in general consensus among those.  But yes if Brad won't play them don't draft them heheh...

Of these bigger bigs, is Bitadze a stash?  Like his profile/mental makeup.  I wonder about the difference between Bassey and Kabengele potential wise.  I worry that Kabengele could be the sleeper too many sleep on.  So those are guys I wonder about if not Fernando.

Agree we might not add 3 picks....but pick combos make for interesting look at the draft.  Another combo I'd enjoy on draft night would be:

14. P.J. Washington (if no Little)
20. Bitadze (stash) or Thybulle
22. Grant Williams

Some bodies to keep Horford fresh for playoffs along with above-mentioned leadership/IQ...  and Thybulle backing up Brown, or Bitadze for later...

not sure about Ojeleye.  If he's ready for bigger minutes can scrap Williams, but I think Williams might be a tier above.  If SF time opens up due to trade I'd like to see Semi play on the wing and see what he does with more time.

« Reply #475 on: May 19, 2019, 01:31:16 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker

20.  PJ Washington
22.  Grant Williams

Thanks to you and others in this thread who have provided a few names and concise details. Some of us here are interested in the draft but have absolutely no knowledge of college/European prospects.   It's good to have a few names I can root for based on CBlog recommendations.

On draft day -- how about some of the draft-knowledgeable bloggers sharing their "top 10 remaining players" (a la Kuiper) maybe after pick 10 or so.

To follow the draft and college ball in depth is really a lot of work.....so I'm under-qualified for sure and defer to others whenever possible..heheh.  But it's not too hard to figure out some general types....the hard workers, the talented, the young headaches oozing with talent, the skilled bigs verses just the athletic bigs...the defense minded, offense minded..etc.

What I like about this draft is it's a total crapshoot from 4-20 or so.  With one caveat that between 4 and 8 certain players are likely gone.  They are Reddish, Hunter, Culver, Garland and White (last two are PG's).  But no one has any idea what order these 5 players will go.  Of these 5, Culver and Hunter are probably most guaranteed not to fall out of the 4-8 slot.  Reddish (down year), Garland (injury) and White (lack of consensus) are the 3 who may fall out of 4-8, but not far and very likely not. 

The following link is to a draft site with 4 mocks side by side, which gives a nice glance at some consensus...though there are so many mocks out there and this is a small sample.  I think Steve Kyler, column on right, is the chief mocker at this site. 

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/2019-nba-consensus-mock-draft-ver-3-0/

What's great about this draft is the complete unknown of picks 9-20.  That's really rare.  The guys I advocated taking at 20 and 22, or even 14 and 20, PJ Washington and Grant Williams, are barely in the first round in some mocks.  It's quite a mystery...and also pretty deep draft imo for very high quality role players.  If Thybulle doesn't end up with a nice Bruce-Bowen like career, maybe better at the start, I'll be shocked.  And he's going anywhere from 15-30 I'd imagine.

It's just a guess, but I'd think the only 9-20 players who have a chance to crack the top 8 are Nassir Little, Bol Bol, and possibly Hachimura, but I doubt it.  Nassir Little best shot at top 8 after wowing teams in workouts.

And then there's Kevin Porter Jr., who could go anywhere from pick 9 to somewhere in second round...got in trouble but don't know the background story or seriousness of concerns.  From highlights, he looks awesome to me. 
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 01:53:57 PM by wiley »

« Reply #476 on: May 19, 2019, 02:36:40 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
22.  Grant Williams

We should stay away from him, combine athletic tests were very poor for an NBA player.

26" no step vertical and  31.5"  max vertical is not a good result, especially for a tweener sized guy.

https://stats.nba.com/draft/combine-strength-agility/?SeasonYear=2019-20#!?sort=STANDING_VERTICAL_LEAP&dir=-1

Guy knows how to play but that will only take you so far without a superlative skill in the NBA, PASS.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 06:19:54 AM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #477 on: May 20, 2019, 12:54:19 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Really hope Danny keeps one of the picks in the 20's and drafts Jontay Porter.

He could be groomed as heir to Al Horford. Great passer out of the post, good 3 point shooter, not particularly athletic, but should really do well in today's game playing the 5.

I'm that worried about his knee injury, because he is not a guy who relies on explosiveness.

« Reply #478 on: May 20, 2019, 04:10:50 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
My early picks hope

14 - Bol Bol

20- Eric Paschall

22- Jontay Porter

51 - Josh Reaves

« Reply #479 on: May 20, 2019, 04:15:53 PM »

Offline CKilo

• NCE
  • Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
If Coby White falls a little, I would love to try and package our picks to go up and get him.