Author Topic: Celtic Picks - 2019 draft  (Read 108508 times)

Re: Whom do the Celtics select at #14?
« Reply #450 on: May 15, 2019, 07:51:03 AM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
bol

« Reply #451 on: May 15, 2019, 07:51:52 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
I’m definitely not looking forward to Dany’s selection at 14. We have enough of a sample size of his selections in the 10-20 range to not expect anything good lol

Rondo
Bradley
Rozier
Olynyk
Yabu (doesn't really count since he was overdrafted for draft and Stash purpose)

I mean I've see a lot worse from other teams picking in the teens. Don't think Danny does too bad in this range.

« Reply #452 on: May 15, 2019, 08:07:09 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
A big man or a wing who can be converted into a PG. Saw this post (https://www.celticsblog.com/2019/5/11/18566452/how-to-fix-the-serious-flaws-in-the-celtics-team-building-philosophy) in the fanposts section of Celticsblog and I really agree with the part of adding length to the perimeter by adding skilled size.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #453 on: May 15, 2019, 08:20:57 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I like Sekou Doumbouya for #14

I would swing for the fences and draft this guy. Lesson learned from Giannis. Lol Nasir Little if he drops wouldn’t be a bad selection. Bol doesn’t seem to have a good frame to survive in the NBA, but I thought that about Ingram too so who knows.

« Reply #454 on: May 15, 2019, 08:41:37 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Swing for the fences baby. Bol Bol!

On board. This kid has some excellent tools to be a modern day NBA big. And with Al Horford mentoring him, he could be great moving forward.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #455 on: May 15, 2019, 08:55:07 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
I’m definitely not looking forward to Dany’s selection at 14. We have enough of a sample size of his selections in the 10-20 range to not expect anything good lol

Rondo
Bradley
Rozier
Olynyk
Yabu (doesn't really count since he was overdrafted for draft and Stash purpose)

I mean I've see a lot worse from other teams picking in the teens. Don't think Danny does too bad in this range.
Rondo was drafted after 20. I was talking about excitement not drafting players who are viewed as role players at their peak from Danny and the fans.

« Reply #456 on: May 15, 2019, 09:05:44 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I would love Clarke at 14, I think he probably ends up higher.

Not sure who I like in that range other than him. I wouldn't mind White I guess.

« Reply #457 on: May 15, 2019, 10:01:02 AM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
I hear the "pick for NO thing".

If that doesn't happen, I think Ainge is screwed simply because, after the first couple of guys? It'll be a gamble if the kid can ever get off the bench.

I, of course, have this fantasy of building a front court (because the Celtics don't have one) in the draft. The still higher fantasy quotient? Building a front court in this draft.

There's a guy out of the AAC (not ACC) who is closer to small forward size, but, he's wide. He has a very good handle and at 6'7" 241lbs can handle NBA size. Smart kid, excellent passer, can slash and can score from outside.

He was AAC player of the year and tournament MVP.

He averaged 18.9 ppg and 6.8 ribbies at his school.

Out of HS he was top ten in the recruiting class and committed to a top 5 school.

I also forgot to mention? He can play defense on pretty much anyone in the NBA. He is a cement block, low center of gravity and he wants to win.

The best part of this is Semi is already on the roster and Stevens just won't play him and when he does? Semi isn't allowed to play offense.

My point is that I see Semi as better than any of the PF's we have a shot at in the draft, plus, he already has two years of experience.

Back to the 14th pick. The centers this year look like Robert Williams from talent perspectives. I don't see them being better than Bob, but, I will select two of them.

Bol is hurt, I don't want him. I hope we get him and i'm wrong, but, he may not be there at #14 anyways.

Bruno Fernando (6'10" 234 - 7'4" wing 16.3 ppg 12.8 reb - 21 years) out of Maryland is fine. Athletic/bouncy like Williams and, in his favor, he played a really tough schedule for the Terrapins. I mean he wasn't just playing against guys who were smaller than him all the time.  Soft hands around the rim shot 72% from the line. As before, I think we already have this guy, but, do we need anymore freaking wings? Let alone one that isn't going to get any minutes...ever?

Goga Bitadze (6'11" 250 - 18.4 ppg 9.7 reb - 7' 2" wing - 20 years) I guess, is this year's Zizic. Good shooting touch. good hands around the rim. Good on his feet. fourth best center in the draft, but, these big euros have been finding minutes in the NBA haven't they and the Celtics don't have one so? Get her done.

Kabengele out of Florida State looks good as another "gamble". I'm paranoid about athletic bigs and injuries. I guess Bill Russell was just a freak of freaks. He can shoot and he posterized Zion once. Finally as a Canadian? He would be Ainge's chance to make up for Olynyk.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 10:13:40 AM by tstorey_97 »

« Reply #458 on: May 15, 2019, 10:21:38 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
I think the Cs #14 pick will fall in my 4th tier. This tier includes the following players. ( My tiers 1-3 include 7 players)

J Hayes
Bol Bol
B Clarke
N Little
S Doumbouya
KZ Okpala
R Langford
N Alexander-Walker
Coby White
K Johnson

Out of this group my I think its safe to assume Hayes, White, and Doumbya will all drafted before 14 that leaves the following player in the order I would rank them for the Celtics. ( I like Bol Bol but really don't trust his health.

N Little
B Clarke
KZ Okpala
Bol Bol
R Langford
N Alexander-Walker
K Johnson

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #459 on: May 15, 2019, 10:25:34 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Semih isn't a PF, he can guard them strength wise sure, but he doesn't rebound well enough to play the position.

Also its not that he isn't allowed to play offense, its that he doesn't do anything on offense. Teams play 10 feet off him and he doesn't consistently punish them, 31% and reluctant to shoot doesn't cut it. Not when you're also not a threat to drive unless its a complete straight line to the rim.

« Reply #460 on: May 15, 2019, 10:38:59 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
since 2003, when he became general manager, ainge has drafted from 10 to 20 a total of 9 times.

Those players are:
troy bell, 2003, #16 traded on draft night to Memphis with Dahntay Jones for Marcus Banks and Kendrick Perkins
donte jones, 2003, #20
al jefferson, 2004, #15
gerald green, 2005, #18
avery bradley, 2010, #19
Lucas Nogueira, 2013, #16 on behalf of the Dallas Mavericks, who traded his draft rights to Atlanta
james young, 2014, #17
terry rozier,2015, #16
Guerschon Yabusele, 2016, #16

of the above,
bradley and jefferson clearly have had/have good careers in the nba. Rozier is having a good start to his career and seems destined to have a long career as well.

green has spent 13 years in the nba, so that is a credible pick as well.

bell and jones instantly became perkins and banks. perkins worked out well. banks lasted 11 years in the nba.

james young is in the G League and it is very doubtful he will have any sort of career in the nba.

Yabusele, so far he doesnt look like a good pick who will have a credible career in the nba.

so, with 9 picks in the 10 to 20 range (actually 15 to 20), ainge has at least 6 players who had, will have, lengthy and credible careers in the nba. that is a good average given that draft range where the average is 8 years and only about 50% of the picks make a career in the nba.

here is an interesting article on draft position and how well historically those players have faired in their careers.
https://www.thebackofclass.com/home/2017/9/4/a-complete-analysis-of-the-nba-draft
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 11:16:07 AM by hwangjini_1 »
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Re: Celtic Picks - 2019 draft
« Reply #461 on: May 17, 2019, 04:06:05 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Back again with my (almost annual) thread on tracking the C's picks for this coming draft.  Didn't do one for last year with the C's only having the 1 first rounder.

Standings as of 1/3/18 -- will try to update weekly

Memphis pick tied #12--  (tied with Dallas and Charlotte) (protected top 8 ) 
                   Games Behind    Current Wins   Games Left   Last 10
Utah                       0.5                  18                     44                5-5
Detroit                    0.5                  17                     46                4-6
Memphis                ---                   18                     45                 2-8
Dallas                      ---                  18                     45                 3-7
Charlotte                 ---                  18                     45                  4-6
Miami                     +0.5                 18                     46                 7-3

-->  tie with Dallas gives them a tie for the #12 slot.  Even though they're tied with Charlotte, Charlotte's in the
playoffs in the East so they're not in the mix right now to worsen this pick.  Miami is also in the Eastern playoffs so
they won't be hurting this pick for now either.

Kings pick -- #14  (protected if top 1 - becomes Sixer pick if #1)
                       Games Behind    Current Wins     Games Left    Last 10
Charlotte                 1.0                   18                      45                  4-6
Miami                       0.5                    18                     46                   7-3
Sacramento             ----                   19                     45                   4-6

--> last lottery draft position.  even though they have a better record than 2 teams in the East that are currently in
the playoff picture, Kings pick jumps up 2 spots.   

Clipper Pick #20   -- (protected  top 14) 
LA Lakers                  0.5                    21                     44                  4-6
San Antonio               0.5                    21                     44                  7-3
LA Clippers                ---                    21                      45                 4-6
Portland                     +0.5                  22                     44                 7-3
Houston                     +0.5                 21                      46                 9-1

-->  Clips falling off their early pace.  Portland and Houston should now be able to put some distance between
themselves and the Clips to prevent that pick from getting worse.  SA should pass them soon in the standings to
help the cause.

Boston Pick #23
Portland                  0.5                   22                     44                7-3
Houston                  0.5                  21                      46                9-1
Boston                   ---                     22                     45                 5-5
Philadelphia           +2                     25                     43                 6-4
OKC                         +2                   24                     45                 7-3

-->C's pick figures to get a bit worse than #23 this year as the team starts to really gel.  would expect to see them
pass Philly, OKC and Indiana before it's over and possibly the Bucks and Nuggets too.

Second Rounders:
Boston (protected 31-55)

Second rounders
Boston - #53

Wow at how little things changed after 1/3, except for the MEM pick going to the 7-9 range and moving to #2 in the lotto.  ;D

« Reply #462 on: May 17, 2019, 04:11:55 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Lots of buzz at combine on Luka Samanic.

Thoughts?

« Reply #463 on: May 17, 2019, 04:12:47 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Thoughts?

Love him, one of my binkies along with Reddish/Little.

I think he's going to surprise a lot of people.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #464 on: May 18, 2019, 05:02:37 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.

Thoughts?

Love him, one of my binkies along with Reddish/Little.

I think he's going to surprise a lot of people.
Reddish and Little will be gone by 14. I am hopeful for Bruno. He has some good moves. I would love to move up to get Little if we could.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek