Author Topic: Celtic Picks - 2019 draft  (Read 108538 times)

Re: Celtic Picks - 2019 draft
« Reply #420 on: May 02, 2019, 06:03:27 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I don't agree... we will have a roster spot from gibson... i see yabusele ojeleje and rozier being traded away... i am not sure morris stays or even theis...we have  at least 5 spots.. we could have 3 pics next year.. if you can get garland gafford and reid you keep them
Who's trading for Yabu? You'd need to give up one of those picks to move him..

If Morris and Rozier and Theis leave you need to replace their minutes. Rookies won't do that. Nurturing one or two is fine, more are just wasted bench spots

You are greatly overestimating what it would take to move Yabusele. After FA has died down, it would be very easy to trade him + enough cash to cover his salary to any team with cap space.

First round picks are only needed when the salary is very high and/or the contract has multiple years left on it. A contract with 1 year and $3.1 million left on it does not fit that description
I'm bitter.

« Reply #421 on: May 02, 2019, 07:04:21 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
It seems there is a 50.7 percent chance that the Memphis pick will convey at 9.

Obviously assuming it is not moved in a draft day trade, who would you like to see taken now that the tournament is over?

All the shooting guards/wings who will most likely/possibly be available (Reddish, Culver, Alexander-Walker, Okpala) are only average/poor distance shooters.

I think Jaxson Hayes, Bruno Fernando, even a reach for Goga Bitadze make sense. Maybe even a point guard like Coby White (if he slips)..

Where is your thinking at?
I could see Darius Garland being available at 9. Before he got injured he was playing really well. Good handle, can finish at the rim well, and can shoot from every tier (58.1% from 2, 47.8% from 3). The passing could be an issue, but that Vanderbilt team didn't have much talent around him. Plus, if his injury doesn't hold him back I really like his athleticism.

I'm also a fan of Nassir Little. I still think he has one of the highest two-way potentials in the draft - he was just a victim of Roy Williams' tendency to not play freshmen. His per-minute production stands up, and he has elite defence coupled with elite athleticism.

Or we could go all out on a guy like Bol Bol.

Yes, I really like Garland too. I'm just a bit scared of undersized guys (Although there are some notable exceptions at the moment; VanVleet for instance).

I would have no problem with Bol or Little. Both high risk/reward, which we should take a shot at.
That’s pretty much what I hope our philosophy is with our picks if we keep them - go for high upside guys. We’ve got all the foundations set already, and we should be able to get veteran role players for specific roles. May as well go for potential stars if we can
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #422 on: May 02, 2019, 07:45:47 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
I see a lot of people making predictions of who the Celtics will draft. A have a question for you all.

Assuming no AD trade, do you think that a team trying to compete for a title is going to keep Williams and 3-4 not top of the draft draftees in a weak draft all on the roster next year?

The only way I see the Celtics keeping and making all 4 picks in this draft(5 if the Memphis pick miraculously gets moved to the 9th pick) is if they are expecting to take a major step backwards.

Assuming we don't get the Memphis pick I see us consolidating some of the other picks to move up the lottery a little. I could see Minnesota as an example sitting at #10. Offering #14 and #20 is fair value. Then grab either a point guard like White or Garland or getting Nassir Little.

#22 could be used on someone who drops on draft night or to pick a draft and stash player. I think it much more likely that spare roster spots net year are going to vets who can plug gaps as opposed to more draft picks. So if I were to estimate the number of draft picks we end up with on our roster next year it would be 2.

Without the memphis pick or an AD trade it makes the most sense for the Cs to draft 1 player, draft and stash 1 and trade away 1 pick for a future pick. This type of scenario is not ideal and really work DA into a corner but it will essentially be the same as the Brown/Zizic/Yabu draft with the 2nd round picks being moved.

With picks 14,20, and 22 I do not see a lot of value or potential for trading up from 14. I have the early draft tiered as follows

#1 Zion
#2 Morant, Barrett
#3 Reddish,Culver,Hunter,Garland

I think those are the top 7 picks. If the Cs cant trade into those picks I don't believe there is any value in trading up.

The only player I can see value in trading up for would be Doumbouya if he is willing to draft and stash for the next season. I could see a trade like

#14 +#20 to T-Wolves for #10 + #42

or

#14 + #20 to Hornets for #12 + #36

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #423 on: May 02, 2019, 11:46:37 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Hopefully Ainge trade all these picks for Davis cause after top 3 picks, i dont see any NBA stars of the future
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #424 on: May 02, 2019, 12:55:55 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Why do you need more stars?

« Reply #425 on: May 02, 2019, 01:06:35 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Well, you don't draft players with the hopes they only become role players. You hope they become stars and if you have to, you deal with that oh so terrible problem of having too many stars.

« Reply #426 on: May 03, 2019, 10:43:20 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
Well, you don't draft players with the hopes they only become role players. You hope they become stars and if you have to, you deal with that oh so terrible problem of having too many stars.

Getting to many stars is the goal of the front office and a problem for the coaching staff to deal with.

I will say that many players are drafted with no real path to stardom. In most drafts you would hope that every lottery pick has the potential to ascent to an all-star level player and a few out of the lottery players are low floor high ceiling type risky picks that could be all-stars. Outside of those picks teams are drafting players with the hope that they proficiently can fill a clear role in the NBA and develop into solid long term NBA players.

The Celtics 2016 draft is a great example of this. At #3 J Brown had a lot of question marks as a prospect but clearly had the physical gifts to be an all-star level NBA wing. His above average positional size and length coupled with top 5% of the league athleticism clearly set him apart from other wings in his class. His underdeveloped skill set gave him a lower floor and a greater risk of being a bust but the ceiling was clearly there. At #16 Yabu like Brown had a lot of question marks but his physical fluidity at his size, length, and strength gave him a high ceiling as a player who could potentially surprise people and become a Paul Milsap like NBA player. At #23 Zizic has viewed as a great pick with a lot of potential but I do not think many viewed his ceiling as anything more then a high end role player. Positional niche has a lot to do with this as not many true centers who are not elite athletes reach an all-star level.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #427 on: May 03, 2019, 11:02:23 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Hopefully Ainge trade all these picks for Davis cause after top 3 picks, i dont see any NBA stars of the future

They said there were no stars in the 2013 draft (when Giannis went 15). 

I realize that doesn't happen often, but does occur more frequently than you would think (Brogdon, Draymond Green, Siakam, Kawhi Leonard, etc.).

Scouting is critical.

« Reply #428 on: May 03, 2019, 11:20:27 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
that is the way in most drafts. but, in most drafts a few stars do emerge from later later in the first round and second round.

i trust in ainge to get good players, though it is a real crap shoot even with good scouting.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #429 on: May 03, 2019, 01:08:35 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

See: Warriors, Golden State.

« Reply #430 on: May 03, 2019, 03:22:34 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
You have irwing horford and hayward... and brown tatum rozier are coming... what more do you want? Try to develop those guys as stars... they have the potential.. curry thompson green were not stars out of college... you arr picking at 14 20 22 probably... if you get lets say garland bol reid why not develop them? You just replace morris( who will seek more money) hunter and yabusele... i do not think we are worse with those 3 picks

« Reply #431 on: May 09, 2019, 12:25:34 PM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
If Kyrie walks, I'd like to see them draft Colby White from UNC at #14. Could be a steal at the end of the lotto and give us something at point guard. I also like Tyler Herro out of Kentucky and Matisse Thybulle out of Washington for the later picks.

« Reply #432 on: May 09, 2019, 01:11:38 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

They said there were no stars in the 2013 draft (when Giannis went 15). 

I realize that doesn't happen often, but does occur more frequently than you would think (Brogdon, Draymond Green, Siakam, Kawhi Leonard, etc.).

Scouting is critical.

Jokic, IT, Butler, etc...etc..

« Reply #433 on: May 14, 2019, 08:59:00 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Pick 14

Whom do the Celtics select at #14?
« Reply #434 on: May 14, 2019, 09:54:07 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Well, we all know now that the Celtics currently sit at #14. Barring any trades, which player should the Celtics select?

Go to it gang.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva