Author Topic: Knicks (1-4) at Celtics (3-1) Game #5 11/1/19  (Read 38262 times)

Re: Knicks (1-4) at Celtics (3-1) Game #5 11/1/19
« Reply #435 on: November 02, 2019, 11:59:39 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Jayson Tatum just has the mentality of a superstar player.

Marcus Smart has the same mentality, but Smart doesn't have the shot-making abilities of Tatum.

That's the difference between Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum, Tatum has the mentality of a star player, Brown doesn't.

I could not disagree with this statement more. I think Jaylen has about as perfect a mentality as you can expect if you're hooping for a guy to be a superstar. He is confident, wants to be great, steps up against good teams, and works hard. If Jayson ends up a superstar and not Jaylen it wont be because of some nebulous thing like "personality."

Just look at how Jaylen gets lost sometimes.
When the shots are falling for Jaylen, he looks good.
But when the shots are not falling, Jaylen ends up getting lost.
That's why Brad yanks him.

Jaylen Brown is as talented as Jayson Tatum.

Go back to their rookie year.

Why was Jaylen not getting significant minutes when he was a rookie and Tatum was getting 30 minutes a game as a 19-year old rookie.

« Reply #436 on: November 02, 2019, 12:02:42 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Being at the game, the Celts still have some weaknesses to work on.

Hayward needs to get better at finishing at the rim. Sometimes, when Kemba has possession, either someone needs to get open for the pass or Kemba needs to be looking to make the pass (or drive the ball to the basket and draw the foul.)

Tatum played his butt off, but would like to see him rely less on 3s and use his talents to attack the basket.

Theis did the best he could, considering we were undermanned on size. No doubt we were missing Jaylen, Robert and Kanter.

But that's a game the Celts need to win by alot more than a buzzer beater. Team is still a work in progress. Don't get too high, don't get too low, and improve game by game. That's also on Stevens to point these things out to the team, because I'm still seeing a constant high volume of the 3s being attempted.

Marcus Smart still keeps playing his ass off.

« Reply #437 on: November 02, 2019, 12:05:45 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

Hayward needs to get better at finishing at the rim. Sometimes, when Kemba has possession, either someone needs to get open for the pass or Kemba needs to be looking to make the pass (or drive the ball to the basket and draw the foul.)

Tatum played his butt off, but would like to see him rely less on 3s and use his talents to attack the basket.

Theis did the best he could, considering we were undermanned on size. No doubt we were missing Jaylen, Robert and Kanter.

But that's a game the Celts need to win by alot more than a buzzer beater. Team is still a work in progress. Don't get too high, don't get too low, and improve game by game. That's also on Stevens to point these things out to the team, because I'm still seeing a constant high volume of the 3s being attempted.

What you're saying is the truth.

But here's the thing, it's looking like the Celts are exceeding expectations this early in the season.

Last season's Celtics team would have lost this game.
But not this season's Celtics team.

So while it's true the Celts have a long way to go, they are way better than expected.

56 wins this season, that's my prediction.

« Reply #438 on: November 02, 2019, 12:16:20 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

But here's the thing, it's looking like the Celts are exceeding expectations this early in the season.

So while it's true the Celts have a long way to go, they are way better than expected.

I'm not necessarily disputing that. A good team with plenty room for improvement. If they can tightening up the loose ends, then at least 50 wins is not unreasonable by any means.

Of course the playoffs are a different animal, so I'm also keeping that in mind as well.

« Reply #439 on: November 02, 2019, 12:19:38 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

I'm not necessarily disputing that. A good team with plenty room for improvement. If they can tightening up the loose ends, than at least 50 wins is not unreasonable by any means.

The eastern conference is just weaker this season.
That's why I think the Celts will have a shot at the east finals.

There's no doubt this Celts team will even be better in April.

What surprises me is how good their defense is.

In the preseason, Kanter was horrible on defense.

I think we'll see a clearer picture after 20 games.

One thing's for sure, this team is fun to watch.

« Reply #440 on: November 02, 2019, 12:25:11 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
Here's what Tatum said after the game.

https://thesportsdaily.com/2019/11/02/your-morning-dump-where-jayson-tatum-is-growing-up-quickly-r1a1/

The most notable part of Jayson Tatum’s night came a good 40 minutes after his first career NBA game-winner ripped through the twine.

Sitting at the podium in the Celtics’ makeshift interview room, Tatum was detailing his late-game heroics when he was asked what the shot meant to him in the big picture.

“I don’t want to get too excited,” said Tatum, whose 21-foot stepback with 1.3 seconds remaining lifted Boston to a 104-102 triumph over the visiting Knicks. “The guys I look up to in this league, they do things like this all the time.”

That’s an answer that confirms Tatum is on a path to stardom. It’d be easy for a 21-year-old to revel in a big-time moment, to get lost in his first NBA game-winner. Instead, Tatum was already looking ahead.

« Reply #441 on: November 02, 2019, 12:34:31 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

Some solid points but what I don’t agree with is the cliche improve game by game.  In reality just by human nature there will be let downs after a big game, the 2nd night of back to backs, cold shooting nights, or fighting nagging injuries.  Even the 86 Celtics had some off nights.

What I like is the improvements over a period of time.  Theis is playing more like his rookie year than last season.  He is almost an unsung hero so far holding down the fort in the middle. Tatum and Brown both look like they added a lot to their games this  season at an age where you can see drastic growth in their games.  Hayward overall is playing more like his old self, but still has some more room to get there. Walker being able to draw so many fouls is also great to see.  Smart’s shooting touch from last year looks like it’s here to stay.  Really like the solid play of Grant Williams. 

« Reply #442 on: November 02, 2019, 02:04:39 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!

These are good points. But as you said, we missed Jaylen, Timelord and Kanter. Kanter and Jaylen are 2 of our 5 best players on the roster, and Timelord is one of our depth bigs. I think when Kanter's out there healthy, we don't have to worry too much about our frontcourt and the rebounding. That's what allowed NYK to hang in there last night.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #443 on: November 02, 2019, 02:23:30 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

These are good points. But as you said, we missed Jaylen, Timelord and Kanter. Kanter and Jaylen are 2 of our 5 best players on the roster, and Timelord is one of our depth bigs. I think when Kanter's out there healthy, we don't have to worry too much about our frontcourt and the rebounding. That's what allowed NYK to hang in there last night.

Yeah, and although the Knicks aren't good collectively, they have some tough individual players and a deep frontcourt (Randle, Robinson and Portis.)

So in fairness, the Knicks are somewhat of a tough match-up, if we don't have our bigs.

« Reply #444 on: November 02, 2019, 02:26:41 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Some solid points but what I don’t agree with is the cliche improve game by game.  In reality just by human nature there will be let downs after a big game, the 2nd night of back to backs, cold shooting nights, or fighting nagging injuries.  Even the 86 Celtics had some off nights.

What I like is the improvements over a period of time.  Theis is playing more like his rookie year than last season.  He is almost an unsung hero so far holding down the fort in the middle. Tatum and Brown both look like they added a lot to their games this  season at an age where you can see drastic growth in their games.  Hayward overall is playing more like his old self, but still has some more room to get there. Walker being able to draw so many fouls is also great to see.  Smart’s shooting touch from last year looks like it’s here to stay.  Really like the solid play of Grant Williams.

I agree. They'll be good night and bad nights. It's a long season, especially during the dog days of January where the season starts to drag a little bit.

I'm just looking at fundamental ways the Celts can improve, that's all.

I'm also thinking about how they can improve for the playoffs because like I was saying to Fierce, I do agree this will likely be a 50 win team (maybe more) and hopefully clinch 3rd behind Milwaukee and Philly.

« Reply #445 on: November 02, 2019, 02:28:41 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!

Yeah, and although the Knicks aren't good collectively, they have some tough individual players and a deep frontcourt (Randle, Robinson and Portis.)

So in fairness, the Knicks are somewhat of a tough match-up, if we don't have our bigs.

That'll be the struggle at times. Going up against teams with great frontcourts when ours is injured.

I hope Ainge this winter explores the market (trade or buyout) and makes an additional move for a cheap big man (or one in the buyout market). Even a depth one.

I think guys like GWill and Theis have stepped up lately with the injuries, but we don't want to rely on them playing "heavy" minutes either in the 2nd half + playoffs if we make it.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #446 on: November 02, 2019, 02:29:03 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Here's what Tatum said after the game.

https://thesportsdaily.com/2019/11/02/your-morning-dump-where-jayson-tatum-is-growing-up-quickly-r1a1/

The most notable part of Jayson Tatum’s night came a good 40 minutes after his first career NBA game-winner ripped through the twine.

Sitting at the podium in the Celtics’ makeshift interview room, Tatum was detailing his late-game heroics when he was asked what the shot meant to him in the big picture.

“I don’t want to get too excited,” said Tatum, whose 21-foot stepback with 1.3 seconds remaining lifted Boston to a 104-102 triumph over the visiting Knicks. “The guys I look up to in this league, they do things like this all the time.”

That’s an answer that confirms Tatum is on a path to stardom. It’d be easy for a 21-year-old to revel in a big-time moment, to get lost in his first NBA game-winner. Instead, Tatum was already looking ahead.

Yup, hopefully a sign of maturity. I tell ya, Tatum could use some time hanging out and picking the brain of Paul Pierce (not Kobe.) Watch that make him even better. If anyone has experienced the highs and lows, it's Paul

« Reply #447 on: November 02, 2019, 02:32:53 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

That'll be the struggle at times. Going up against teams with great frontcourts when ours is injured.

I hope Ainge this winter explores the market (trade or buyout) and makes an additional move for a cheap big man (or one in the buyout market). Even a depth one.

I think guys like GWill and Theis have stepped up lately with the injuries, but we don't want to rely on them playing "heavy" minutes either in the 2nd half + playoffs if we make it.

I agree with you. We need another big man. We also can't forget Grant is a rookie so you don't want to put him in tough situations that he might not be ready for. That's not fair to him or the team. But I do like Grant as he seems like a player who already "gets it." It also seems like whenever him and Robert are on the floor, the ball moves really well. We definitely could've used Robert last night.