Author Topic: Celtics (1-0) at Magic (3-0) Preseason Game #2 10/11/19  (Read 24353 times)

Re: Celtics (1-0) at Magic (3-0) Preseason Game #2 10/11/19
« Reply #270 on: October 12, 2019, 12:38:57 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Nice game from Marcus Curry!

« Reply #271 on: October 12, 2019, 12:45:55 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
From the get-go our starting group looked really awesome. In the first half I thought Brown, Smart, Hayward and Theis were really awesome. Tatum missed a few jumpers and forced a couple more, but even he was pretty good.

Having Theis in the starting lineup had quite a significant impact on our defence. Not good signs from R Williams. Thankfully our other Williams looks like a good pickup!
Good to see Theis Theis baby looking good, but do we have a decent backup center who can play defense lol. Did Poirier look serviceable?

Poirier seemed okay in game 1. Not setting the world on fire, but moved his feet and got to where he was supposed to be. If Rob Williams had Poirier’s court awareness he’d be well on his way to becoming an nba starter.
That's pretty much the only thing you need from a backup C tbh. I'm looking forward to Poirier doing damage via the PnR, he's really good at collapsing the defense with his gravity as a roll man.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #272 on: October 12, 2019, 01:05:24 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
To be honest, none of the bigs but Theis played well in this game. Timelord, Poirier and Tacko all looked lost and played poorly against awful competition in the 2nd half, when they played. Brown showed a better ability to rebound, while playing against better competition, than either of the trip of bigs, and Brown was playing shooting guard.

« Reply #273 on: October 12, 2019, 07:47:03 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Tacko a nice story but afraid this is becoming a novelty act. Could see Celtics cutting ties, or asking him to sign deal with red claws.

Teams are already waiting for the Celts to cut Tacko.

Tacko's not going to sign with the Red Claws.

Just give the 15th spot to Tacko.
Tacko's a novelty at this point.  he's appealing to franchises that need to put butts in the seats, not compete for wins.  he's going to need a few years before he gets to a point where he might be able to be more than a victory cigar/towel thrown in.

Maybe.

But we're only talking about the 15th roster spot.
That's a very small price to pay for a novelty like Tacko.

Phrased another way, how many teams have revenue generating 15th men? Tacko might be a novelty act but he’s much more valuable than whatever contract he’ll be signed to.
- LilRip

« Reply #274 on: October 12, 2019, 07:58:58 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Tacko a nice story but afraid this is becoming a novelty act. Could see Celtics cutting ties, or asking him to sign deal with red claws.

Teams are already waiting for the Celts to cut Tacko.

Tacko's not going to sign with the Red Claws.

Just give the 15th spot to Tacko.
Tacko's a novelty at this point.  he's appealing to franchises that need to put butts in the seats, not compete for wins.  he's going to need a few years before he gets to a point where he might be able to be more than a victory cigar/towel thrown in.

Maybe.

But we're only talking about the 15th roster spot.
That's a very small price to pay for a novelty like Tacko.

Phrased another way, how many teams have revenue generating 15th men? Tacko might be a novelty act but he’s much more valuable than whatever contract he’ll be signed to.

So true.

« Reply #275 on: October 12, 2019, 08:12:08 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
To be honest, none of the bigs but Theis played well in this game. Timelord, Poirier and Tacko all looked lost and played poorly against awful competition in the 2nd half, when they played. Brown showed a better ability to rebound, while playing against better competition, than either of the trip of bigs, and Brown was playing shooting guard.

Theis looks like the early favorite to win the starting Center spot.  At worst, Brad can trust him to be in the right position every time.  Hopefully we see somewhat of a repeat performance with Kemba back in the lineup.  It's hard to tell how much Smart skewed the results.  Everyone plays harder when he's on the floor.   

« Reply #276 on: October 12, 2019, 08:26:45 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 364
our guys just look so much more confident without Kyrie Irving.

« Reply #277 on: October 13, 2019, 01:05:24 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
To be honest, none of the bigs but Theis played well in this game. Timelord, Poirier and Tacko all looked lost and played poorly against awful competition in the 2nd half, when they played.

Mostly true, I think. Williams was coming off a groin pull, and I thought he looked less “lost” than earthbound.

Theis doesn’t get any pub for his rim protection, but he did things big and small in this game, including drawing a charge, which always warm a coach’s heart.

Tacko cannot afford to hesitate. His legs are too long to move them very quickly, so developing his court sense is a priority. He simply has to get better at anticipating. I think I can appreciate his difficulty in maintaining a defensive stance, but he’s got to do better if he’s going to beat out Green for a roster spot. The NBA game just happens a lot quicker than NCAA or SL ball.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #278 on: October 13, 2019, 01:24:10 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
Jaylen player of the game. Man he looked great on both sides of the ball.

My take:

He’s put in the work to become a complete player, and everything is coming together now.

Will anyone out there still minimize his ball-handling? He looked like a wizard out there, and made great reads and on-time on-target passes.

I’ll add that I’m now cautiously optimistic about the Jaylen/Gordon/Jayson trio on defense. There might be a size issue against Philadelphia or the Lakers, but Orlando is pretty long.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #279 on: October 13, 2019, 01:46:59 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Theis looks like the early favorite to win the starting Center spot.  At worst, Brad can trust him to be in the right position every time.  Hopefully we see somewhat of a repeat performance with Kemba back in the lineup.  It's hard to tell how much Smart skewed the results.  Everyone plays harder when he's on the floor.   

Agree it's likely to be Theis. We'll have some pretty bad mismatches when we play bigger, stronger centers, but he's still the best option unless maybe Poirier develops quickly. It's too bad there wasn't a way to hold on to Baynes. He would have fit nicely on the first unit.

« Reply #280 on: October 13, 2019, 02:05:32 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Jaylen player of the game. Man he looked great on both sides of the ball.

My take:

He’s put in the work to become a complete player, and everything is coming together now.

Will anyone out there still minimize his ball-handling? He looked like a wizard out there, and made great reads and on-time on-target passes.

I’ll add that I’m now cautiously optimistic about the Jaylen/Gordon/Jayson trio on defense. There might be a size issue against Philadelphia or the Lakers, but Orlando is pretty long.

True, but Orlando didn’t play their best big in Vucevic.  Their other bigs dont possess much of an offensive threat.  I really like those guys on offense, but there will be plenty of times we should go with a bigger lineup (like Horford and Baynes together in the past).

« Reply #281 on: October 13, 2019, 02:16:08 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

This is not fair, Nick.  R Williams only played 9 minutes, but was quite productive in that stint.  Just didn't score, but that's not what he is in for.  Rebounded and defended well.

« Reply #282 on: October 13, 2019, 02:20:13 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

This is not fair, Nick.  R Williams only played 9 minutes, but was quite productive in that stint.  Just didn't score, but that's not what he is in for.  Rebounded and defended well.
Disagree completely.