Author Topic: Hornets (0-0) at Celtics (0-0) Preseason Game #1 10/6/19  (Read 26713 times)

Re: Hornets (0-0) at Celtics (0-0) Preseason Game #1 10/6/19
« Reply #300 on: October 07, 2019, 05:02:45 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

As for my biggest concern, I'm worried about the on-court chemistry between Kemba, Hayward, Tatum, and Jaylen.  Do people think this group can be top 5-8 in offensive efficiency?  If not, they are giving up way too much size and toughness to justify extended minutes together.  I envision the same issues with scoring droughts against elite competition.  Effort shouldn't be a problem this year, but I fear that Jaylen will begin to press due to limited opportunities with the remaining starters.  He has a lot of pressure with restricted free agency around the corner. 
I agree with all of this. It looked to me like Jaylen was trying to force the issue offensively at times last night. I guess the good news is he was looking to attack the basket vs settling but it seems like he has determined that he needs to elevate his game to get the big contract moving forward.  I'm all for that, but does it come at the expense of the team? 

I'm starting to wonder whether one of Tatum, Brown and Hayward needs to go - just from the issue of sharing the ball. Personally I'd rather see more of Hayward taking on a scoring role vs deferring.  I think that at his best, he's a significantly better player than the current editions of the other two. 

This team has long, long way to go, but that's also part of the fun of watching them over the course of a season.

I'm with you on Hayward.  This team will be at its best if he has the mentality of an elite scorer.  He should be looking to score first, especially at the beginning of the season.  It will become much easier to facilitate if teams respect Hayward's ability to score at an All-Star level.

I’m with you guys on Hayward over Tatum and Brown but I have zero confidence in Brad to get this message across ( if he shares this opinion). Is anyone confident that he would?  The wushu washy stuff with Brad will continue to kill this team’s potential whatever it may be. This can’t be left up to the players like last year but I think it will be.
I think we should give him a few months of regular season play before we [dang] the offence. Last year was bad, for sure, but his offences had been pretty solid before that.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #301 on: October 07, 2019, 05:35:05 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Just finished watching the game. Some thoughts that stuck out:

Loved Tatum's aggressiveness in looking for his shot on offense but hated his, at times, really bad effort on the defensive side.

Regarding defense, it was overall as bad as I have seen it in a preseason game. The Hornets absolutely suck, especially on offense, and yet the C's made them look really good through three quarters. Just about everyone sucked on the defensive end.

While Timelord mostly played against starters and Tacko against non-NBA worthy scrubs, Tacko still seemed farther along than Timelord. But, neither looked ready to contribute quality rotation minutes this year. But it was just one game.

Smart looked out of shape and was a complete non-factor.

Hayward appeared to have better lift, speed and lateral movement but he still isn't "back". Might just need to take some bumps and work his way into taking on a much bigger role than last year.

I want Kemba to be more aggressive offensively.

Edwards appears to be an NBA ready bench player.

Green was great against bad competition.Really, he and Edwards won this game.

Brown was meh, though, once again, much like late last year and in the playoffs, he did seem to concentrate on his offense being either shooting threes or going to the basket, which is very smart.

The team didn't look like it had any chance whatsoever of being a 50+ win team. Not close.

« Reply #302 on: October 07, 2019, 06:09:37 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I know it's game 1 of preseason, but I felt our starters totally coasted, very little effort.

Jaylen forced the offense too much, Hayward, Walker and Tatum looked good but poor effort on both ends, Smart looked like he was playing against a group of his friends.

Our bench was the exact opposite, great effort from all. Edwards looks legit.