C / C-
15 (7.9%)
D+
6 (3.2%)
D / D-
6 (3.2%)
F
9 (4.8%)
Incomplete (I Just Can't Give It A Grade Yet)
15 (7.9%)

Total Members Voted: 187

Author Topic: Poll: Give The Kyrie Irving-To-Boston Trade A Letter Grade  (Read 59017 times)

Re: Poll: Give The Kyrie Irving-To-Boston Trade A Letter Grade
« Reply #90 on: November 07, 2017, 01:19:33 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Originally, I gave the deal a C/C-. At this point, I've submitted it for regrading and gotten a reply of, "Now we know why DA is the GM and you aren't."

Mike

I feel that way about the Fultz/Tatum trade now.

Fultz is just a hot mess right now, and I'm starting to think it's more than just his injury...

Yeah, I知 conceding I was wrong on the Fultz deal as well.

I知 happy with how Kyrie has played, but I still think we paid through the nose for him. But, it depends upon how IT plays, and where the BRK pick falls.

Yep, my thoughts exact on everything you said.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #91 on: November 07, 2017, 01:44:51 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Originally, I gave the deal a C/C-. At this point, I've submitted it for regrading and gotten a reply of, "Now we know why DA is the GM and you aren't."

Mike

Fultz is just a hot mess right now, and I'm starting to think it's more than just his injury...

I知 happy with how Kyrie has played, but I still think we paid through the nose for him. But, it depends upon how IT plays, and where the BRK pick falls.

I concur on the KI-IT trade.  Kyrie has been better than expected, especially on D, but that Brooklyn pick will still be a mid-to-high lottery pick.  awfully high priced asset to include with IT, Crowder and Zizic to get it done. 

throw in the consideration for how much every good/great player was traded for in the offseason and now with Bledsoe during the season, I can't help but still feel Danny really overpaid.

« Reply #92 on: November 07, 2017, 02:06:02 PM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
I didnt vote but I would have originally said what alot of us said.. Overpay - wanted to keep the pick.. Sidewise move -  blah blah blah..

I was wrong about IT vs KI -  KI is better hands down...  Its more than scoring - its this Swag that this team has.. You can tell the team Respects KI because he has seen the promised land.. You can tell that they truly believe they can win..  KI just brings something different.. He is a Star.. Not an Awesome 4th Qtr Scorer but a Star..  And right now he is playing like one of the best players in the league..

Being led by IT I always thought we were a gritty feisty team with a huge chip on our shoulder.. but we were paper champions who only gave the GS Trouble (minus Durant)
This year, I feel like we are walking like real champions..  with 2 players under 21 in the starting line up..  I know we arent winning it this year.. But We still feel like a great team..

I never believed we were a great Team with IT.. Just a team with a great player.

It doesnt matter what IT does when he comes back nor the Draft pick..  we have enough Talent when Gordon comes back to win it all..  Tatum will special, Brown is darn good and KI is one of the best to ever do it..  And we are getting a high pick..  We have enough.

« Reply #93 on: November 07, 2017, 02:09:18 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Kyrie Irving has the "goods".  You have to give this trade an A grade as of today.  I know there are doubters but the Celtics went from a mediocre defense last year to the #1 defense in the NBA today.  He also has shown us that he can carry the team when need be and we're riding a 9 game winning streak thanks in large part to Kyrie's efforts.

Those who feared KI might be a ball stopping ball hog, well that has been so far from the truth, I feel your fears can be allayed.  He has really bought in and made a lot of great, unselfish passes on this run that have helped this offense.  A big beneficiary of these passes have been Al Horford and Jayson Tatum, just to name a couple, who have been lighting it up from 3, 47% and 52% respectively, thanks to receiving wide open looks from Kyrie.

« Reply #94 on: November 07, 2017, 04:14:19 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
Alot of the initial thoughts remind me alot of when Jaylen was picked and people where saying why take this guy he cant shoot blah blah. We have Crowder. We have AB.

Its kinda a classic case of overvaluing the guys that we had. Once again Crowder was elevated to a position where people thought we shouldnt get rid of him. He had a ton of value but ignored his performance vs elite teams and players. Decent player but not one that the team couldnt do without.

IT was very good even great at times but going into that series last year I dont know how many people would say that we for sure had the 2nd best player in the series.

And lets also be honest here. The attention that Kyrie draws and his ability to see over defenses has been huge for this team. He can make passes that IT couldnt and its created great opportunities for lets also be honest much better players than IT played with.

I graded this trade on a player for player/pick basis of a B+/ A- only because of the outside chance of the Nets actually giving the Cavs a top 5 pick. Overall I gave this trade an A++ because I thought Crowder's contract was too long and I didnt want Tatum to sit behind Crowder for 2 or 3 years. I wanted Brown to get time and opportunity. The trade opened up that opportunity and Im loving the results. If you say we could have played Crowder next to Brown and Tatum after Hayward got hurt that's fine but I would counter that I would rather play Baynes both on O and D because he providers a greater element to their O and D than Crowder.

Anyways, I loved the upside of having Irving then and Im even more in love with that idea now.

« Reply #95 on: November 07, 2017, 09:59:24 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Mike

I concur on the KI-IT trade.  Kyrie has been better than expected, especially on D, but that Brooklyn pick will still be a mid-to-high lottery pick.  awfully high priced asset to include with IT, Crowder and Zizic to get it done. 

throw in the consideration for how much every good/great player was traded for in the offseason and now with Bledsoe during the season, I can't help but still feel Danny really overpaid.

Yeah, and you see George and Butler gone for essentially peanuts... the C's payed a grand price for Kyrie.

:(

« Reply #96 on: November 07, 2017, 10:04:39 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
A

« Reply #97 on: November 07, 2017, 10:05:56 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
A+, up from B rationally, F- emotionally when it happened.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #98 on: November 07, 2017, 10:29:20 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
It's an I.

It will remain an Incomplete until we find out a few things:

1. How Kyrie plays.
2. If Kyrie resigns in Boston.
3. If Kyrie can play consistently 70+ games per season and not be a distraction.
4. If IT's injury heals.
5. How IT plays once that injury heals.
6. How much IT resigns for.
7. How the Brooklyn pick works out.
8. If Zizic can play in the NBA.

Right now the trade could not be going better from a Boston perspective. Kyrie is playing well and seems to enjoy playing here. The team is winning. IT will be injured for longer than most anyone expected. Crowder isn't playing well. Zizic can't get off the bench in Cleveland. Brooklyn is 4-6 (FYI, this is the exact same record they had last year at this time). Right now Boston has gotten an All Star for an injured vet and a late lottery pick.

If all of those things remain as-is then I was wrong and the trade was a great deal. If the year ends with IT scoring 25 ppg, the Brooklyn pick in the top 2 and us losing before the NBA Finals then things would look substantially different. I've said all along that this was an awfully big roll of the dice on Danny's part. Just because it looks very favorable 10 games in doesn't mean that it will look that way by the end of the year. If we see Cleveland picking Marvin Bagley III next June, that's going to be a tough pill to swallow without an NBA Title in hand.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #99 on: November 07, 2017, 10:34:53 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I thought IT if he stayed would have been given a max contract, because he earned it. But I had no idea that the injury was as serious as it is or that it could be career changing.

When the trade happened, I thought it was a massive overpay.

Not because of Zizic as I think too many people bought into the comment that he had top 10 player talent in this draft. He doesn't. He is slow and plodding and probably a dinosaur in today's game. Not because of Crowder as he had to go to match salary in some teade because Brown, Tatum and Hayward were his replacements. Not because of Isaiah because I thought Kyrie and IT wete a pretty even swap.

But because of the Brooklyn pick. But as I see that Kyrie is the better player, all around, than IT and that IT has a serious injury going forward, I now know something had to go Cleveland's way to make up for this. It had to be a high first rounder. I would have preferred giving up the LA/Sac pick but understand if it had to be the Brooklyn pick now.

« Reply #100 on: November 07, 2017, 10:40:39 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
A+, up from B rationally, F- emotionally when it happened.

LOL I was like "wait... they actually traded him??" when I first heard the news.

I thought the "reports" that they were discussing was just going to end in nothing again. Boy were we all wrong.  :P

« Reply #101 on: November 07, 2017, 10:42:15 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
It's an I.

It will remain an Incomplete until we find out a few things:

1. How Kyrie plays.
2. If Kyrie resigns in Boston.
3. If Kyrie can play consistently 70+ games per season and not be a distraction.
4. If IT's injury heals.
5. How IT plays once that injury heals.
6. How much IT resigns for.
7. How the Brooklyn pick works out.
8. If Zizic can play in the NBA.

Right now the trade could not be going better from a Boston perspective. Kyrie is playing well and seems to enjoy playing here. The team is winning. IT will be injured for longer than most anyone expected. Crowder isn't playing well. Zizic can't get off the bench in Cleveland. Brooklyn is 4-6 (FYI, this is the exact same record they had last year at this time). Right now Boston has gotten an All Star for an injured vet and a late lottery pick.

If all of those things remain as-is then I was wrong and the trade was a great deal. If the year ends with IT scoring 25 ppg, the Brooklyn pick in the top 2 and us losing before the NBA Finals then things would look substantially different. I've said all along that this was an awfully big roll of the dice on Danny's part. Just because it looks very favorable 10 games in doesn't mean that it will look that way by the end of the year. If we see Cleveland picking Marvin Bagley III next June, that's going to be a tough pill to swallow without an NBA Title in hand.

TP. Well said. Agree with everything mentioned here.

I thought IT if he stayed would have been given a max contract, because he earned it. But I had no idea that the injury was as serious as it is or that it could be career changing.

When the trade happened, I thought it was a massive overpay.

Not because of Zizic as I think too many people bought into the comment that he had top 10 player talent in this draft. He doesn't. He is slow and plodding and probably a dinosaur in today's game. Not because of Crowder as he had to go to match salary in some teade because Brown, Tatum and Hayward were his replacements. Not because of Isaiah because I thought Kyrie and IT wete a pretty even swap.

But because of the Brooklyn pick. But as I see that Kyrie is the better player, all around, than IT and that IT has a serious injury going forward, I now know something had to go Cleveland's way to make up for this. It had to be a high first rounder. I would have preferred giving up the LA/Sac pick but understand if it had to be the Brooklyn pick now.

Yeah honestly I didn't know IT's injury was THAT bad until the trade happened, but I think general belief around here too was that he'd miss only 2-3 weeks at most then come back. Looks like it's actually 2-3 months at best...  :o (or maybe more if his injury is even worse than thought)

And I thought it was ridiculous Ainge threw in Zizic as a "throw in" to this deal, as experts said in the most previous draft he would have probably gone Top-10, but it turns out Zizic was needed to match salaries and all...

« Reply #102 on: November 08, 2017, 01:49:44 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Still an F, nothing has changed.

We're the worst kind of treadmill team. The kind which gives you hope.

And y'all hype victims.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #103 on: November 08, 2017, 02:33:19 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

And y'all hype victims.

Even if you want to give the trade a F, which I don't agree with, but it's not a concern here. I don't see how a team with two young prospects like Tatum and Brown, and another pick coming from either LA or Sac is a "treadmill team". That doesn't make sense.

Maybe Ainge did waste 1 pick, and some other mediocre assets. That doesn't change the fact the team still has a tone of room for growth with the young players we do have.

« Reply #104 on: November 08, 2017, 02:37:27 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

And y'all hype victims.

Even if you want to give the trade a F, which I don't agree with, but it's not a concern here. I don't see how a team with two young prospects like Tatum and Brown, and another pick coming from either LA or Sac is a "treadmill team". That doesn't make sense.

Maybe Ainge did waste 1 pick, and some other mediocre assets. That doesn't change the fact the team still has a tone of room for growth with the young players we do have.
Good luck talking sense when someone has such a negative outlook from the get go
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)